Dion Dublin (1 Viewer)

Sterling Archer

I have forgiven him to moving to the Villa. He is by far and away the best striker I have ever seen play for City (first game as a naive 7 year old back in 92) and I miss the mid to late 90's era.

That is all. :wave:

Thoughts on Dion people?

ICHAN

Thing is with Dublin he was just as useful at the back so you got 2 for the price of 1, how valuable would that be to us now.

SkyBlueScottie

Dion is a legend, Keane while I suppose he is more naturally talented I would take Dion over him everytime.

Dion scored crucial goals (lots of them) led the side as Captain and also by example. We were spolit by having him.

Colonel Mustard

Legend.

Four+ years of total commitment, leadership, and genuine quality. It's a massive contrast from today's players who either get clubbed out, don't put in a shift, lobby for moves after signing new contracts, etc.

As for his move to the Villa, I am inclined to take anybody else's side if it is a battle involving Bryan Richardson. Here's an interesting snipped from an interview with Dion:

"I adored my time at Coventry and have only good memories. We had some relegation scrapes but I felt we were building something really good with exciting players like Gary McAllister, Darren Huckerby and George Boateng.

"Ninety per cent of supporters have been great with me and have always given me a superb reception. Gordon wanted me to stay for another four years and all I will say is that it was down to a higher authority and it didn't happen. Yes the club got a lot of money for me, but I felt we really had something going for us at Highfield Road
."

It wasn't right that he refused to play in that game, but it's silly to let that one incident overshadow all the good he did for the club.

Sterling Archer

I loved Robbie Keane at the City and I always feel he never fulfilled his potential as he changed his style of game at Spurs to become to an out goal scorer/poacher.

The brief 8 months we had him, he used to play just off Rousell and aided by McAllister (who was fantastic that season). He was a creative forward, similar to Sheringham but had more skill, pace and the ability to beat players. I loved watching him terrorise Arsenal, Villa, Derby etc that season. I always wonder the kind of partnership Hartson and Keane could've had.

However Dublin is the bigger legend for me for the amounts of times his goals and leadership pulled us through.

I still haven't forgiven Strachan for moving Dublin to CB just so he could play Moldovan against Sheffield United alongside Huckerby. The Huckerby/Dublin partnership was the best partnership I have seen as a Cov fan. The perfect big man/little man style of centre forward partnerships.

On a side note, I still haven't forgiven Strachan for having 5 years at the club and never once sorting out the Defence. :mad:

Sterling Archer

Legend.

Four+ years of total commitment, leadership, and genuine quality. It's a massive contrast from today's players who either get clubbed out, don't put in a shift, lobby for moves after signing new contracts, etc.

As for his move to the Villa, I am inclined to take anybody else's side if it is a battle involving Bryan Richardson. Here's an interesting snipped from an interview with Dion:

"I adored my time at Coventry and have only good memories. We had some relegation scrapes but I felt we were building something really good with exciting players like Gary McAllister, Darren Huckerby and George Boateng.

"Ninety per cent of supporters have been great with me and have always given me a superb reception. Gordon wanted me to stay for another four years and all I will say is that it was down to a higher authority and it didn't happen. Yes the club got a lot of money for me, but I felt we really had something going for us at Highfield Road
."

It wasn't right that he refused to play in that game, but it's silly to let that one incident overshadow all the good he did for the club.

I heard rumours Richardson forced him out as well, but thought they may have been just rumours. Where's that interview from?

Keane gave us me memories then Dublin. imo

Dublin kept us up back in 1996 i know but that season we had Keane we beat Villa, Arsenal hammered Newcastle Bradford and some entertaining nights up Highfield Road were had.

sky_blue_up_north

Best striker.... the best one we ever had was Ian Wallace, totally natural, him and Ferguson were un stoppable. Dion was great don't get me wrong, but if you'd seen Wallace play, plus the fact we got 1million for him.. must be 25Mill in todays martket

Colonel Mustard

I heard rumours Richardson forced him out as well, but thought they may have been just rumours. Where's that interview from?

Linky

I'm not sure we'll ever know the truth (though wouldn't it be great to sit down with a member of the 90s board for a frank discussion?) But the whole thing just seemed wholly out of character for Dion - he was never short of commitment, had no blots on his card, and had signed a new contract at the club.

What we can say with some confidence is that it was an act of rebellion against the chairman to engineer the move to Villa instead of Blackburn.

torchomatic

THis is an old chesnut. I never had any problem with Dublin moving to Villa - or any other player for that matter. After all they're a bigger team with more fans and they're more successful, so they pay more wages. My problem with Dublin was his refusal to play for the team. That is unforgivable in my book.

I alwas thought Dublin was a legend. Always worked hard and scored some brilliant goals. I have not seen anyone since who could head the ball as well as Dion.

I always remember we played Blackpool in the Coca Cola cup at Highfield road. We were 2-0 down on aggregate at half time and he was facing away from goal, bent right down and headed the ball at what looked like an impossible angle to score, we ended up winning 3-2.

Bloodnut1964

Dion was the best header of the ball I ever seen, Hardly ever lost a battle, he was a legend yes but my Favourite forward for City was little Terry Gibson, never forget his hat trick against Liverpool when we went in at half time 3-0 up!

Marty

Dion always has been and always will be a legend to me, i can understand why people would dislike him for his move to villa and the way he went about it, but i think it's time for everyone to remember all those great memories he gave us.

Sterling Archer

I remember Dion's hat trick against Chelsea on the Opening day of the 97/98 season where him and Huckerby terrorised World Cup Winner Lebeouf.

The header out of the goalies hand (can't remeber who it was) was the best.
Don't you mean when Shay Given rolled the ball out and Dublin snuck in from behind in and tapped it in?

I missed the Gibson, Speedie and Wallace eras. :mad:

ICHAN

Thats the one, thanks for that sterling archer memory not what it used to be anymore with details.

torchomatic

Oh, they were the best! I first started going regularly during the Wally and Fergie era, they were brilliant players. We had a strong side then; Terry Yorath, Gerry Daly, Thommo. Brilliant times.

The early 80s were good too as I started to go away and from 1981 until 1999 I didn't miss a game, home or away. Then mortgages, a wife and a kid sucked my money away!

Still, I'm getting my own back by making my five-year-old son come to every game!

I missed the Gibson, Speedie and Wallace eras. :mad:

ICHAN

Speedie for me was amazing always got stuck in, heading for a little man was incredable, never shearked out of anything.
Legand for me would have to be lloyd Mcgrath never bottled anything gave his all everytime for the cause.

Otis

Legend.

I forgave him very quickly back then based on what he had given us in the past and the loyal service.

torchomatic

My favourite every player. I remember him waving to the crowd from a stretcher after breaking his leg. What a legend!

Legand for me would have to be lloyd Mcgrath never bottled anything gave his all everytime for the cause.

ICHAN

Would never have a bad word said against him may not have been the most gifted player ever but not many got the better of him, they knew they had been in a match after being marked by lloyd.
I remeber him getting a free kick straight in his bollocks and he just carried on until the ball was out of the way.

Sterling Archer

This is what kind of irritates me but is understandable about the generation of Coventry fans who started supporting post relegation.

a. The poor b*stards haven't seen some brilliant footballers like myself (90's) and even more so the older Cov fans (60's, 70's, 80's) have seen.
b. The knock on effect from (a) is that players like Michael Doyle and Richard Keogh get into their best ever CCFC XI's
c. Our averagely if not dross players get bigged up to levels they are nowhere near. In another thread I saw someone say Keogh could play in a lower table Prem team like Bolton!
d. They have arguably watched the club in its worst decade out of all living Coventry City fans.

Being a teenager and watching us beat Man United after being 2-1 down with 5 mins to go, Ndlovu tearing apart Anfield, Aloisi and Boateng thrashing Villa at Villa Park, Hadji, Keane and Macca leading us to victory against Arsenal, etc. I know the 00's have been sh*t and the 10's aren't starting great but I am thankful for at least having some good memories.

Although I do wish I had been born 10 years earlier.

skybluejelly

the problem we have now is that is probably all they are ever going to be ..memories..

dion definetley one of the all time greats along with cyril regis..but boy do i wish we had a winger like dave bennett at the moment

Last edited:

ICHAN

Well said sterling and it is a shame that the post relegation fans think average players (by the standards of years gone by) are good (not there fault may I add) lets just hope that we do return and they have some fond memories of players from years gone by as well as memories of good times and not just the shit ones at the moment.

ICHAN

the problem we have now is that is probably all they are ver going to be ..memories..

dion definetley one of the all time greats along with cyril regis..but boy do i wish we had a winger like dave bennett at the moment

The 'brazilian' dave bennett

Macca

To be fair the Entertainment period of the late 90's was a brief flash in the pan to me. The early 90's saw some of the worst players I ever saw and don't forget we nearly went down in 1997.Robbie Keane was here for such a short period of time that he doesn't even scratch the surface of legend status. In that Keane, Hadji, Chippo era its seemed like a bit of a dream like we'd bought a sports car that we couldn't afford the repayments on. As enjoyable as it was we knew it would end in tears. Give me the 80's anytime!

P.S Dublin, he stuck up for himself against the oily twat and refused to play in a game. Who gives a fuck. I can't think of any of todays mugs that I would mention in the same breath as that legend. Except Cody and Bigupmemesii of course :D

Ernie Machin

I remember Dion's hat trick against Chelsea on the Opening day of the 97/98 season where him and Huckerby terrorised World Cup Winner Lebeouf.

Don't you mean when Shay Given rolled the ball out and Dublin snuck in from behind in and tapped it in?

As the old line goes, Given was the only Irishman who didn't know where Dublin was. (And the other line about Oggy having the longest throw because he could throw it to Dublin)

Bad jokes aside, Dion was first class. Carried us for years, plus he was an all round decent guy. The Villa thing is forgotten, Bellend is the only one I've never forgiven.

Ernie Machin

As for Dave Bennett, I reckon he could have played for England many times had he ever had any kind of work ethic and commitment. A genius that loved the nightlife more than his day job.

ICHAN

Him and dean emerson used to come in the saracens head longford as well as the bookies across the road.

hamil99

Facebook User
Only thing that annoyed me about dion was when he left he tapped up hadji and Boateng, both went to villa... really left a sour taste in my mouth after being such a hero for us...

Colonel Mustard

Only thing that annoyed me about dion was when he left he tapped up hadji and Boateng, both went to villa... really left a sour taste in my mouth after being such a hero for us...

tbf, George Boateng criticised Bryan Richardson for his spinning of his transfer to Villa. That was on Boateng's official website, which is now sadly no more. Considering that Boateng, Dublin, and Huckerby have all hinted at the 'issues from above', I'd take any of the Richardson era PR with a pinch of salt.

hamil99

Facebook User
tbf, George Boateng criticised Bryan Richardson for his spinning of his transfer to Villa. That was on Boateng's official website, which is now sadly no more. Considering that Boateng, Dublin, and Huckerby have all hinted at the 'issues from above', I'd take any of the Richardson era PR with a pinch of salt.

Hadji said himself that he went over to dions nice new house, bought by villa, and dion spent all nite telling him how great it is at aston and how he could be playing for them.... thanks dion...

Users who are viewing this thread