Do I make my lad a sky blue supporter? (1 Viewer)

skyblueman

Hello Everyone - I'm new on here - found you all on twitter and thought I'd join you - I've been a Cov supporter for 37 years - since I went to my first game with my dad in 1973 at the age of six - sadly having to live in Leicester these last 10 years or so but still a regular week in week out. Ok so here's the problem - my lad is 6 and really getting into to football - where do you stand on the issue of which team he's going to support - I'd love it of course if it were Cov - but he's Leicester born & bred so do I have to concede this or do I force it on him for his own good!!!?? Getting desperate now as he came home from school yesterday declaring he wanted to support Chelsea - yeah right John Terry as a role model - it's not going to happen - thoughts.....

Tad

Hello Everyone - I'm new on here - found you all on twitter and thought I'd join you - I've been a Cov supporter for 37 years - since I went to my first game with my dad in 1973 at the age of six - sadly having to live in Leicester these last 10 years or so but still a regular week in week out. Ok so here's the problem - my lad is 6 and really getting into to football - where do you stand on the issue of which team he's going to support - I'd love it of course if it were Cov - but he's Leicester born & bred so do I have to concede this or do I force it on him for his own good!!!?? Getting desperate now as he came home from school yesterday declaring he wanted to support Chelsea - yeah right John Terry as a role model - it's not going to happen - thoughts.....

It 's not really for you to decided. It's up to him. I dare say he's just got the "I support Chelsea" from his friends at school. Following his friends or something...

You could take him to a few sky blue games. If he enjoys it, he'll want to go back and continue his support. If not, then he'll find his team elsewhere.

My Old man moved down south for work before I was born - I wouldnt say he forced me to support Cov but I can never remember having any affection for another club at an early age, especially after being taken to HR at 5 for my first few games. Not sure if a trip to the Ricoh would quite have the same impact on a kid in 2012... For me it's in the family and shouldn't have to be 'forced' on anyone - while your'e still following Coventry he should.. if he rebels... just disown him.

You'll Never Beat McPake

I started bringing my lad up to Highfield Road when he was 7 (Walsall at home 0-0 and McAllister missed a pen). The next season we probably went to half a dozen games. By then he was hooked and the following season he had a season ticket and has done ever since. Get them up there early enough and they will be hooked....and never forgive you for not being born in Manchester :facepalm:

It takes a bigger man to walk away from the mainstream IMO. I would let him do what he wants, supporting your local team is something that was lost decades ago. :facepalm:

theprince

I started way back in 1962 just before the Jimmy Hill years, the top teams in England were Tottenham, Burnley, Wolves and as usual Man United. But once the bug bit you only cared about Cov and of course the JH times were a bonus and the 34 years or top flight football. Bring him to Cov. the only way is up.

skybluelee

Its your duty as a father to ensure he supports Coventry. I have no problem with either of my girls not liking football (they are 3 and 1 at the moment) but if they do like it and decided to support anybody else I would be devasted. A bit over the top, admittedly, but still true.

CTID

At the beginning of the season i was in a similar possition as you mate. My 6yo son wasnt interested in football at all. Couldnt sit and watch a full match and I was worried he would be like me (i didnt get into football until i was 12). So, i chanced my luck and took him to a game at the beginning of the season. he spent 90 minutes asking me every question he could think of which was unrelated to what was happening on the pitch lol. I perservered and took him to a few more games and his questioning soon got onto the match...come the end of the season he sat next to me listening to the games on the radio and shouting at it with more passion than me, and even welled up when it was announced that we were relegated!

He has flirted with other teams (Liverpool beings he has been to anfield and his uncles support them) which i dont mind to be honest, but when i ask him who he supports he immediately says "COV!". So my suggestion is take him to some games, let him make his own mind up and youll be pleasantly surprised.

I have to take the remote off him nowerdays because all he wants to watch is sky sports news. He watches the 1987 final in bed every night, knows every single player from that team and our current team and spends any spare moment playing football with either his cov kits or england kits on. And all this was just from a few trips to the ricoh!

mark82

At the beginning of the season i was in a similar possition as you mate. My 6yo son wasnt interested in football at all. Couldnt sit and watch a full match and I was worried he would be like me (i didnt get into football until i was 12). So, i chanced my luck and took him to a game at the beginning of the season. he spent 90 minutes asking me every question he could think of which was unrelated to what was happening on the pitch lol. I perservered and took him to a few more games and his questioning soon got onto the match...come the end of the season he sat next to me listening to the games on the radio and shouting at it with more passion than me, and even welled up when it was announced that we were relegated!

He has flirted with other teams (Liverpool beings he has been to anfield and his uncles support them) which i dont mind to be honest, but when i ask him who he supports he immediately says "COV!". So my suggestion is take him to some games, let him make his own mind up and youll be pleasantly surprised.

I have to take the remote off him nowerdays because all he wants to watch is sky sports news. He watches the 1987 final in bed every night, knows every single player from that team and our current team and spends any spare moment playing football with either his cov kits or england kits on. And all this was just from a few trips to the ricoh!

Good on you. My wife is pregnant with our first and I am looking forward to taking him or her to their first Cov match in a few years already. And I live in Yorkshire.

AngryAnt

My Old man moved down south for work before I was born - I wouldnt say he forced me to support Cov but I can never remember having any affection for another club at an early age, especially after being taken to HR at 5 for my first few games. Not sure if a trip to the Ricoh would quite have the same impact on a kid in 2012... For me it's in the family and shouldn't have to be 'forced' on anyone - while your'e still following Coventry he should.. if he rebels... just disown him.

Pretty much this.
Not being born in Cov, i was told that i didn't have to support them.. But if i didn't then i'd get the choice of living with my aunt/uncle or grandparents... I quickly decided to support Coventry.

Give them a choice, but make sure that cov is the lesser of the two evils and crush their spirit before its even had a chance to rebel :D:D:D

Sub

best to make hima sky blues fan now when we are at the bottom (or nearly there ) because we can only go up then and he can see the good times not the years of dross we have had to endure !!!:D:D

WillieStanley

The way it worked with my little girl and I, who turns three tomorrow, was that she's always had a Sky Blue Sam. She's always wanted to play with him, since around 12months old. Whenever I wore a City shirt, I'd ask her where Sam was, and she point to the elephant on the badge. We'd play football when I got home from work with her Coventry City ball (and still do) and we'd go and look at the FA Cup picture I have hanging in my kitchen. Whenever we'd go shopping, we'd do so at Tescos and show her Sky Blue Sams house and on special occassions, we'd visit the club shop. which is a massive Aladins cave to her. During the build up to her mums and my wedding, which we had at the Ricoh July last year, we'd always show her all the pictures of the players and at some point, she started to recognise Sammy Clingan on the wall. We took her to the unveiling of the statue and the Family Fun Day, where she met SB Sam for a fifth time and met all the players... All of whom she referred to as Sammy Clingan.

Then, pre-season Norwich match, we took her to her first ever game. She absolutely loved it. She went to around half a dozen with me this season, took part in the Soton Protest with her own "WE WANT SISU OUT, WE WANT SKY BLUE SAM" and has a season ticket next year.

It also helped that I used to sing her the Sky Blue Song to get her off to sleep as a new born!!

When I get home from work tonight, I will be greeted with "Daddy!! Right, I'll be Richard Keogh, you be Sheffers" and away we go... footballing around the living room!

Last edited:

Covstu

Its natural, as a kid i supported all types of teams including Everton and Sheff Wed! Then started going to the city and was hooked. It was easier then as we were in the top division but i can understand why kids are not enthused about it now. If he lives in Leicester then he should support his local team.

1nilandwe...

I remember when Bolton got promoted to the Premier League for the first time I was quite small and already a big(ish) Cov fan. I mentioned to my mates at school that I quite liked Bolton too. They were all Man U and Rangers fans at the time and they ripped the piss out of me. Nobheads.

Al lot of my friends now are Arsenal and Tottenham fans. I get quite a lot of respect for being a Cov fan now. Although I do still get asked occassionally if I support a Premiership team as well. In fact, I remember I met a Chelsea fan on the day on the day they thumped us 5 or 6-1 the year we got relegated. He had the cheek to ask if I supported a good team as well. I didn't stay in touch with him.

CTID

When I get home from work tonight, I will be greeted with "Daddy!! Right, I'll be Richard Keogh, you be Sheffers" and away we go... footballing around the living room!

hahaha i get greeted with "Right im cov, and youre leicester because theyre rubbish" lol

Nonleagueherewecome

The way it worked with my little girl and I, who turns three tomorrow, was that she's always had a Sky Blue Sam. She's always wanted to play with him, since around 12months old. Whenever I wore a City shirt, I'd ask her where Sam was, and she point to the elephant on the badge. We'd play football when I got home from work with her Coventry City ball (and still do) and we'd go and look at the FA Cup picture I have hanging in my kitchen. Whenever we'd go shopping, we'd do so at Tescos and show her Sky Blue Sams house and on special occassions, we'd visit the club shop. which is a massive Aladins cave to her. During the build up to her mums and my wedding, which we had at the Ricoh July last year, we'd always show her all the pictures of the players and at some point, she started to recognise Sammy Clingan on the wall. We took her to the unveiling of the statue and the Family Fun Day, where she met SB Sam for a fifth time and met all the players... All of whom she referred to as Sammy Clingan.

Then, pre-season Norwich match, we took her to her first ever game. She absolutely loved it. She went to around half a dozen with me this season, took part in the Soton Protest with her own "WE WANT SISU OUT, WE WANT SKY BLUE SAM" and has a season ticket next year.

It also helped that I used to sing her the Sky Blue Song to get her off to sleep as a new born!!

I remember the "We want SISU Out, we want Sky Blue Sam!" thing from when you posted about it at the time: absolute genius! I still reckon that we should adopt it as a family-friendly surrealist chant :D

Hcut PUSB

I started taking my lad when he was 5 he is the only 8 year old Cov fan in Stafford that we know of and is proud of it, he really lays in to all the plastics asking them what the difference is between a Glasgow Rangers fan and a Man U/ City/ etc is?

Hopefully you all know the response!!!!!!!!!:slap:

Brighton Sky Blue

I remember when Bolton got promoted to the Premier League for the first time I was quite small and already a big(ish) Cov fan. I mentioned to my mates at school that I quite liked Bolton too. They were all Man U and Rangers fans at the time and they ripped the piss out of me. Nobheads.

Al lot of my friends now are Arsenal and Tottenham fans. I get quite a lot of respect for being a Cov fan now. Although I do still get asked occassionally if I support a Premiership team as well. In fact, I remember I met a Chelsea fan on the day on the day they thumped us 5 or 6-1 the year we got relegated. He had the cheek to ask if I supported a good team as well. I didn't stay in touch with him.

Just this lunchtime, there were a few of us talking about the England squad and I got asked where I was from. 'Christ, you don't support them as well do you?' was the response I got-people down here seem to be amazed that you'd follow a club for a reason other than success. Absolutely can't stand glory hunters and that'll never change.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My daughter moved to Nottingham with her mum (my ex-missus). She grew up, met and married a Nottingham bloke (obviously), and now my 14 year old grandson in a Forest nut! Can't say I blame him. Like it's been said on here earlier, you should support the city (or nearest) of your birth.
I was born in Coventry in the very early 1950's, and although all my predecessors were all born in Cork City, Eire, I could never see myself supporting Cork City FC (mind you, they were only formed in 1984!). So, even though it pains me to say, if the lad wants to follow Leicester, let him.

Nonleagueherewecome

Just this lunchtime, there were a few of us talking about the England squad and I got asked where I was from. 'Christ, you don't support them as well do you?' was the response I got-people down here seem to be amazed that you'd follow a club for a reason other than success. Absolutely can't stand glory hunters and that'll never change.

It's like if we all started supporting Spain instead of England. Kinda..

matesx

im a Cov fan

this means my son, who was born in Coventry will be a proud Cov fan

its not rocket science

WillieStanley

It totally NLHWC!! I thought brighton had sold 20,000 Season Tickets?

My Uncle was born in Burton Upon Trent. The family team is Derby County. He was a Derby fan up until the age of around 7 (I think) when the family moved to Coventry, my gramps got a job teaching at the Butts. When he moved to Coventry, they became his team... and than God they did because he was the direct influence on my City supporting. He bought me my first ticket and my first Season Ticket.

I do not resent him for this. I am proud that after all those years of nearlys and dissapointments, we have a fan base strong enough to support a healthy forum such as this, able to provide the record away following at Old Trafford and carry on singing through relegation to the third tier.

I am a glory supporter. The glory of CCFC isn't in the trophy cabinet, its in the colours and the fans. It is a privalege to be able to pass that on to my daughter!!

1nilandwe...

It's like if we all started supporting Spain instead of England. Kinda..

I've always supported Spain, me. It's in my blood. My granddad went to Spain when he was thirty and brought back some chorizo. My grandma was so impressed with it they immediately had sex, conceived and the rest is history. So don't tell me I'm a glory supporter just because your team doesn't win anything.

And I support Barcelona as well because, well, why not. They're better than bloody Coventry City. You're just jealous.

matesx

Barcelona are better than Cov? yeah alright

you're deluded pal

Users who are viewing this thread