Do you want to discuss boring politics? (27 Viewers)

Ian1779

Crass Tory lite or Crass Tory lite?

If I was the Leader of this party and I was also Director of Public Prosecutions at the time of suspicions around Jimmy Saville came to light i would probably not go down this line…. Even if I was absolutely not culpable in any way.

fernandopartridge

If I was the Leader of this party and I was also Director of Public Prosecutions at the time of suspicions around Jimmy Saville came to light i would probably not go down this line…. Even if I was absolutely not culpable in any way.
It isn't a short sighted move to blame the government of the day for the decisions of the independent judiciary, definitely not

skybluetony176

Just watching a Mock the Week repeat on BBC2 and I’m still struggling to believe that Liz Truss was actually allowed to be PM. How did Sunak not get any new manager bounce following that cluster fuck.

CCFCSteve

Just watching a Mock the Week repeat on BBC2 and I’m still struggling to believe that Liz Truss was actually allowed to be PM. How did Sunak not get any new manager bounce following that cluster fuck.

There has been a bounce, however, he became PM at such a low point post Truss tories are still lagging. Saw the other day his personal ratings with party members have also jumped even though he’s probably still seen as the evil Boris killer….although think sits behind Bravermann 🙄

Unfortunately for him the country is that fed up with the Tories it’s just not moving the dial materially at party level especially with inflation still painful for most

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I saw that. Apart from Hugh Dennis who the fuck are the other people on that show ?
They're just schoolkids, that's why you don't know them. And that other guy isn't Hugh Dennis either... ;)

Although as the show was going downhill it probably wouldn't have been many more seasons before that would have been the panel.

CCFCSteve

Whichever twat pressed send on that should be sacked.

If focus groups have shown that this sort of twittering will gain votes, then we are truly fucked as a country. Murica here we come.

Just a very strange move by Labour to start with as Sunaks only been in the job five minutes, so not sure the conviction rate of paedos can really be laid at his door personally. Should’ve just pointed the finger at the Tories generally. I’d be focussing on burglary/car theft rates if I was them, whilst obviously less serious than paedo crimes, far more people are likely to have been directly impacted by them in recent years.

Jesus wept is PVA doing strategy

Oops

NorthernWisdom

Just a very strange move by Labour to start with as Sunaks only been in the job five minutes, so not sure the conviction rate of paedos can really be laid at his door personally. Should’ve just pointed the finger at the Tories generally. I’d be focussing on burglary/car theft rates if I was them, whilst obviously less serious than paedo crimes, far more people are likely to have been directly impacted by them in recent years.
It's not even that tbh. It's crass, low, and negative. And sure, fear works in winning Tories elections, but not Labour, and not on this subject. Focus on how they'll fix the NHS and how it's bolloxed under the Tories, don't go for a below the belt hit.

At this rate they'll be tweeting Rwanda isn't far enough, and they'll be sending asylum seekers to Mars...

CCFCSteve

It's not even that tbh. It's crass, low, and negative.

Yeah, that’s a given and has already been said. Not really the right area for some kind of political turf war and suggesting sunak doesn’t want child sex offenders to go to prison with no real basis for the argument/point is just bizarre

NorthernWisdom

Yeah, that’s a given and has already been said. Not really the right area for some kind of political turf war and suggesting sunak doesn’t want child sex offenders to go to prison with no real basis for the argument/point is just bizarre
I also don't know what constitutes a child in these cases, and who the offender is. A 16yo sleeping with a 15yo is rather different to some other crimes. I genuinely don't know what the crimes are, and what point they're trying to make other than start an argument they'll lose.

skybluetony176

It’s almost like a wet lettuce candidate with no positive vision can’t deliver the goods.
Stealing the headlines this morning. Emily Thornberry (who I personally don’t like in the least) has gone out this morning and made the right wing press’ response look ridiculous. And all she did was state the facts, the criminal justice system is broke and the Tories aren’t doing much to fix it. Like him or loath him Starmer does have the will and the know how to start repairing the damage 13 years of the Tories have done to it.

skybluetony176

Said it before but I think it’ll be a hung parliament.
Can’t see it myself. It would need a strong third party to split the vote to some degree of either Labour or the Tories and there’s no sign that will happen. Can see there being a small majority. What happens in Scotland could be crucial with the mess the SNP is in. Also Tories have a lot to do in their own blue wall.

Ian1779

Stealing the headlines this morning. Emily Thornberry (who I personally don’t like in the least) has gone out this morning and made the right wing press’ response look ridiculous. And all she did was state the facts, the criminal justice system is broke and the Tories aren’t doing much to fix it. Like him or loath him Starmer does have the will and the know how to start repairing the damage 13 years of the Tories have done to it.
I’m not sure that Starmer’s ‘your boss enables nonces’ is going to do him any favours in the long term.

But then to double down on it seems a little insane.

skybluetony176

I’m not sure that Starmer’s ‘your boss enables nonces’ is going to do him any favours in the long term.

But then to double down on it seems a little insane.
If it was ever going to be about a single headline then no. But when it comes to the criminal justice system it’s not only going to take years to sort out but it’s very obviously going to get worse before it starts to get better. He’s set his stall out, he’s got from now until a GE to keep saying I told you so. Thus far the Tories and their client press’ only response is to play the victim in a smear campaign, which is all they can do, they can’t fight the add campaign on facts as their record only confirms what the Labour add campaign says. I suspect on law and order Labour has long term (in terms of from now until a GE) pulled a blinder here, faux Tory outrage followed by it becoming obvious that the add is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread