Do you want to discuss boring politics? (20 Viewers)

StrettoBoy

I despair for this country.

We have a choice between a Conservative government that seems to have run out of ideas and Labour led by a man with no principles who will say anything to get elected and who has done a U-turn on just about every major policy.

☹️

Grendel

Bizarre happenings in Rochdale. No labour candidate, Georgous George wants a return and a former Rochdale MP stands as a reform party member

shmmeee

It is a bit worrying though if at this moment in time the public think the policies being suggested are left-wing. Especially as many of them just seem to be not changing anything, just being less incompetent

I think most people aren’t stupid enough to think the Labour Party has suddenly become right wing TBH.

NorthernWisdom

Bizarre happenings in Rochdale. No labour candidate, Georgous George wants a return and a former Rochdale MP stands as a reform party member
Shame Galloway's not going out as Respect, or we could have the morons pop their cross in the polar opposite box as they struggled to understand Respect and Reform.

Also chuckled darkly at somebody who said it didn't really matter what the (now former!) Labour candidate said, as he'd still be streets ahead of Galloway in standing up for Jewish interests!

fernandopartridge

I think Kier Starmer is clearly a raging antisemite and must apologise to the Jewish community at once

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Shame Galloway's not going out as Respect, or we could have the morons pop their cross in the polar opposite box as they struggled to understand Respect and Reform.

Also chuckled darkly at somebody who said it didn't really matter what the (now former!) Labour candidate said, as he'd still be streets ahead of Galloway in standing up for Jewish interests!

Surely there has to be more than just the 'Israel knew about Oct 7th attacks' comment?
It's an accusation that's appeared in various forms in the Israeli MSM.

Grendel

The Green Party candidate has been removed by the party as well

Grendel

Isn't the former MP the one whose wife liked flashing her knockers about?

That’s his ex wife - someone who was in her 20’s - he was then booted out for texting a 17 year old and is now married to a Rwandan half his age.

A pattern is forming

StrettoBoy

It has to be them warts and all just for some competence.

Starmer is displaying a total lack of competence. Pathetic U-turns almost every week and clueless over what to do about the Rochdale candidate untill the media forced his hand.

I think he was put on this Earth for the sole purpose of making Sunak look a brilliant leader.

God help us ☹️ We're doomed I tell ye, doomed.

clint van damme

Not visible to me. I don't have a Twitter/X account. Could that be the reason?

All I get is Cleverly's video promoting the campaign and the link to the campaign's material, all of which seems entirely sensible to me.

Fair enough, without the community note my post doesn't make sense!

NorthernWisdom

421955477_925434859052223_6917852753916368513_n.jpg

duffer

I mean I won’t be sad if fewer children grow up in poverty, no.

As I said before I think the disconnect is seeing voting in a GE as either a statement of your values, or a binary choice in direction. There is no magical third option where everything is gumdrops and rainbows. And when there was it was a) questionably viable and b) fronted by, quite frankly, a weird crank, which even if a wasn’t true made it seem like it was.

This is a bit like that poll the Tory back benchers put out that was widely ridiculed that asked something like “Who would you rather vote for? Sunak, Starmer, a hypothetical new Conservative Prime Minister that focused on your priorities”

Surprisingly the imaginary candidate won by a landslide.

There’s a couple of related phrases from tech startup culture that are appropriate here: “vapourware” - a product that only ever appears in PR campaigns and never releases because it’s impossible. “Get in the arena” - never mind saying what you are going to build, put it into the marketplace and prove it.

The left never ships. Always promising something better is possible but never delivering it.

Left wing politicians need to get out there and win elections and put in place working policy. That trumps all the Oxford debates and protests and working groups put together.

How? How can the left do that exactly.

I voted for a centre-left set of broadly popular policies, as promised by the prospective Labour leader, Keir Starmer.

He then quickly rowed back on everything vaguely to the left and effectively moved the whole party towards the centre-right.

Rather than challenge that, you seem to be saying we should just suck it up.

I wasn't in a protest group, I was in the Labour party, a paying member, and we supposedly found someone of the left who was acceptable. Turns out it was all a front to get power.

The problem isn't with the left mate, it's with politicians like Starmer.

Whoever Labour put up as a leader is going to get hammered by the press. There isn't anyone in that job who won't be slandered or pulled apart.

The job of the leader is to manage that without caving in and to put the case for genuine change rather than just turning chicken every time a Tory paper might get upset.

shmmeee

How? How can the left do that exactly.

I voted for a centre-left set of broadly popular policies, as promised by the prospective Labour leader, Keir Starmer.

He then quickly rowed back on everything vaguely to the left and effectively moved the whole party towards the centre-right.

Rather than challenge that, you seem to be saying we should just suck it up.

I wasn't in a protest group, I was in the Labour party, a paying member, and we supposedly found someone of the left who was acceptable. Turns out it was all a front to get power.

The problem isn't with the left mate, it's with politicians like Starmer.

Whoever Labour put up as a leader is going to get hammered by the press. There isn't anyone in that job who won't be slandered or pulled apart.

The job of the leader is to manage that without caving in and to put the case for genuine change rather than just turning chicken every time a Tory paper might get upset.

Starmer wasn’t the left candidate, he was the soft left candidate (that’s why he won). He could remove any left MPs from cabinet because they kept giving him ammunition and generally not being good at their job. There’s a serious shortage of quality on the left and a serious lack of seriousness. The fact the SCG takes turns at leadership elections, the refusal to engage with the electorate or moderate where they differ. It means the game is lost well before elections, even internal.

I fundamentally don’t believe you can’t make a popular left wing policy platform or front it with a charismatic (or even just boring but effective) leader. There’s only so much you can blame the right and the media and the chemtrails before looking in the mirror ultimately. I voted Corbyn in, he said a lot of good stuff and the truest mental foreign policy stuff wasn’t out the bag yet. But it became clear he just couldn’t handle the job. The snarling at the press, the refusal to not get sucked into trap after trap. Etc. Etc.

Starmer was up against Long-Bailey who is frankly crap. I mean say what you like about Starmer, Cooper, Kendall, Nandy, Burnham, but they do the basics well and understand the game. That’s where the left is failing. And if they didn’t you wouldn’t have it believe that a soft left MP isn’t just telling you what you want to hear because you’ll have a credible left wing candidate to vote for.

chiefdave

Labour will now be made to further submit to nonsensical antisemitism allegations

Isn't what he's said in line with British Law? Pretty sure its against the Foreign Enlistment Act and when there was talk of people going to fight for Ukraine the Foreign Office pointed out that it was illegal and "anyone who travels to conflict zones to engage in unlawful activity, should expect to be investigated upon their return to the UK".

clint van damme

Isn't what he's said in line with British Law? Pretty sure its against the Foreign Enlistment Act and when there was talk of people going to fight for Ukraine the Foreign Office pointed out that it was illegal and "anyone who travels to conflict zones to engage in unlawful activity, should expect to be investigated upon their return to the UK".

Sure someone got done for fighting with the Kurds against ISIS.
We all know the usual rules don't apply to Israel on either side of the Atlantic.

Edit - it's not illegal for a UK citizen to join the IDF.

Last edited:

StrettoBoy

Labour will now be made to further submit to nonsensical antisemitism allegations

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

His suspension from the party is a bit more complicated than that. As well as those comments it was his presence at the controversial meeting with Azhar Ali and others, the reference to "f*****g Israel" and particularly his opposition to Starmer's Gaza policy where, as he always does, Starmer is trying to look in both directions at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread