Does anyone else not like using the word Cov... (1 Viewer)

Covkid1968#

I think we're all violently agreeing that this is deep in the quibble zone (a Brodyism surely) and I too am willing to put aside my annoyance of the use of the term Cov for the greater good - it was indeed always used in The Evening Telegraph as the term for the Rugby Team.
For what its worth, in my experience we were "The City" rather than "City", as in "what about The City eh? Bloody useless again" on most Monday mornings at work.
Also "Going down the Town" was the term for going into the City Centre - not an exclusive local phrase I think.

Actually - Brummies Im reliably in formed take the mickey out of Coventrians for saying "down town" thats how they identify Coventry peeps...apparantly. That and batches of course!!!!

Otis

I always thought that when Cov was referred to it was the rugby team and we were the City or Sky Blues, I don't like Coventry being shortened, Brummies do it and it drives me nuts...am I alone in this? It makes me wince a little when I here the keep Cov in Cov...although I obviously agree with the sentiments of the campaign, just not the name, Keep City in Coventry? :D

You're not going to like this poster much then I would say.

http://issuu.com/uticreative/docs/keep_ccfc_in_cov_poster_v2

AucklandSkyBlue

Never used Cov myself - it tends to be written shorthand by supporters of other teams, in my experience. The only time I've heard it spoken was when I was called a "Cov C**t" by some Brighton supporters after watching a fairly uninspired game at the Goldstone ground in the early 80s. I gave him a grin and thought "toss*r", but it's probably coloured my attitude towards the diminutive expression.

JH got the idea of Sky Blues,
because, of The Eton Boating Song,
Eton, the school, colours are 'Sky Blue'

Not sure of the link with Eton, apart from we use the tune for the LAST song, but we used to play in Sky Blue It was our original team colour, I was told many years ago by an ex board member of that time time, that it's origins come from the early kits...I suppose we will never know, unless JH tells us...

Snozzer

Only just spotted this thread and I hate using and hearing the word Cov. Growing up we were always told that Cov was the Rugby club and City were the football team.
Agree with the sentiments of Keep Cov in Cov, just wish they'd used City.

fernandopartridge

I think we're all violently agreeing that this is deep in the quibble zone (a Brodyism surely) and I too am willing to put aside my annoyance of the use of the term Cov for the greater good - it was indeed always used in The Evening Telegraph as the term for the Rugby Team.
For what its worth, in my experience we were "The City" rather than "City", as in "what about The City eh? Bloody useless again" on most Monday mornings at work.
Also "Going down the Town" was the term for going into the City Centre - not an exclusive local phrase I think.

Indeed, it's always been 'the City'

Noggin

I don't like the word Cov, I don't judge people who use it, nore does it particularly bother me but it's like people using the word aint it just sounds icky to me.

Last edited:

LastGarrison

I like it and as Sterling says I find a lot of other teams supporters know us by that although I'm with TheOldFive and Fernando that when I'm speaking to other Cov supporters I tend to use the term "the City". Are you going up the City Saturday? What the fuck is going on at the City? etc. Oh and I also say are we going up town tonight if I'm on about going into the city centre for a night on the lash. Oh and also ask for batches.

So in short I like, and use, them all and think they define Coventry in one way or another.

olderskyblue

I think it's only people in or around Coventry that understand that Cov has always been the Rugby club. Supporters of other teams wouldn't have a clue.

I'm more concerned with people using OSB and not putting the 58 after it.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread