Doncaster sign Freddy Piquionne (1 Viewer)

Grendel

'Journeyman' with top flight clubs is literally a different league to Plattini unfortunately.

So you also think Donny were right to sell sharp and that proves their board is more interested in survival?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Just a bit puzzled by the comment better quality player. Better than what? Billy sharpe? No. Actually I think he is a long in the tooth journeyman. West ham are glad to see the back of him and he is hardly likely to pull up trees for Doncaster whose manager probably did not want him. You however think this is progress. Unbelievable.

Ha ha, you're funny. I wonder if you can get special glasses that stop the wearer seeing the wood or the trees. Okay, nice and simple again, just for you.

Firstly, Billy Sharp is a wonderful player. I'd take him over anything they currently have, or anything we currently have. That stated, now he's gone, just like we've lost Jutkiewitz. Point being, what do we now both have as replacements?

Well, we have Nimely, who don't get me wrong, I like. Nice and direct. He was at Boro on loan and didn't score in 9, and has scored one in 7 for us. Any fan who's seen him would agree he's a dangerous player, but no finisher. And we have Platt, who we all appreciate in terms of his ability to put a shift in; but who's been a one-in-ten man since joining us in 2010. And who at 34 in not liable to suddenly remember where the net is.

Compare and contrast if you will with El Hadji Diouf, who's scored 5 in 13 for Doncaster. And Freddie Piquionon - who in his time in English football has netted 22 times in 106 games, which actually is a one-in-four haul. And at a higher level than we're working at.

If you think that our starting front line appears to have more goals in it than theirs - the point I'm drilling down to here - then I think you'll find you're sitting in a delusional minority.

Do I like the Doncaster policy top to bottom? No. Do I think it's given them some quality we don't have the luxury of? Yes. Disagree if you wish, and blame it all on Thorn, but to do so does you no favours

Last edited:

Moff

Ha ha, you're funny. I wonder if you can get special glasses that stop the wearer seeing the wood or the trees. Okay, nice and simple again, just for you.

Firstly, Billy Sharp is a wonderful player. I'd take him over anything they currently have, or anything we currently have. That stated, now he's gone, just like we've lost Jutkiewitz. Point being, what do we now both have as replacements?

Well, we have Nimely, who don't get me wrong, I like. Nice and direct. He was at Boro on loan and didn't score in 9, and has scored one in 7 for us. Any fan who's seen him would agree he's a dangerous player, but no finisher. And we have Platt, who we all appreciate in terms of his ability to put a shift in; but who's been a one-in-ten man since joining us in 2010. And who at 34 in not liable to suddenly remember where the net is.

Compare and contrast if you will with El Hadji Diouf, who's scored 5 in 13 for Doncaster. And Freddie Piquionon - who in his time in English football has netted 22 times in 106 games, which actually is a one-in-four haul. And at a higher level than we're working at.

If you think that our starting front line appears to have more goals in it than theirs - the point I'm drilling down to here - then I think you'll find you're sitting in a delusional minority.

Do I like the Doncaster policy top to bottom? No. Do I think it's given them some quality we don't have the luxury of? Yes. Disagree if you wish, and blame it all on Thorn, but to do so does you no favours

Its a shame when you put a valid point across that you have to be on this occasion such an obnoxious pr*ck.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Its a shame when you put a valid point across that you have to be on this occasion such an obnoxious pr*ck.

You should read back over several other posts and see the manner which this individual addresses me, and other posters. He gets what he dishes out. You'll find my manner to other posters is entirely and wholly different

Moff

You should read back over several other posts and see the manner which this individual addresses me, and other posters. He gets what he dishes out. You'll find my manner to other posters is entirely and wholly different

Yes fair point. Apologies for my tone.

lordsummerisle

That stated, now he's gone, just like we've lost Jutkiewitz. Point being, what do we now both have as replacements?

Well, we have Nimely, who don't get me wrong, I like. Nice and direct. He was at Boro on loan and didn't score in 9, and has scored one in 7 for us. Any fan who's seen him would agree he's a dangerous player, but no finisher.

Are you talking about Juke or Nimely? One in 7 league games for Boro I think?

Compare and contrast if you will with El Hadji Diouf, who's scored 5 in 13 for Doncaster.

His last 2 goals - and therefore 40% of his goals for Doncaster - have been penalties.

Although I agree with your comments about Nimely....very dangerous, direct, but not a finisher...this will come with experience over the next 3 years, not 7 weeks, unfortunately for us.

@richh87

So you also think Donny were right to sell sharp and that proves their board is more interested in survival?

The numerous quality loan players including replacing Sharp with the very striker this thread is about shows that yes, they are FAR more interested in survival.

Tell you what - when Billy Sharp scores goals in the Premier League come back and tell me he's better than Piqiuonne.

Do you really want to compare starting XI's with Donny? I can tell you now you'll look silly.

Grendel

And Freddie Piquionon - who in his time in English football has netted 22 times in 106 games, which actually is a one-in-four haul. And at a higher level than we're working at.

Well nice and simple just for you. 110 divided into 22 is 4.82 which would be 5 in any ones language (other than yours). League performance (which is more relevant) in England is 13 goals in 87 appearances - 6.69 games per goal (7 in nice round numbers). Oh and the staggering performance this season - 2 in 19 games. I must be deluded he's red hot.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Sometimes it isnt just about scoring the goals it is about providing alternatives that create goals for others. Piquionne is an option to have in the squad that could do that and wont be costing a fortune. The agent thing doesnt break the rules as far as I know so Donny get the benefit. Seems to me like sharper thinking than CCFC - but thats a common thing of late at CCFC, lack of sharpness & clarity

It does prove that there were/are premiership strikers around at a reasonable price that perhaps we could have picked up. Whether thats SISU, the board or AT missing a trick I dont know but I suspect all would have some sort of input on it.

btw SISU didnt guarantee to fund the club till May they said it was their intention to support the club by finding sources of funding during that period (that would include player sales, short term loans, etc). The undertaking if any would have been not to withdraw the loans they already had made.

I can understand why the accounts are not filed to a degree, because right now there is a big either/or hanging over the club that will greatly affect any future financing, but i would have thought there would have been more urgency to get it done (as we risked embargo but needed players in)- surely they could put together plan A we stay up or alternative plan B we are relegated, both plans should be capable of proving going concern or not. The deal with GH consortium affecting it ? - well that depends how far talks have got, if not very far then not much effect because you cannot plan for something so uncertain. Does that mean a deal is close? - i dont think so and again not that relevant imo, because the club has to prove it is viable for at least next 12 months now not on the basis of a sale.

But I fail to see why if we needed a player or two why we didnt act to get someone in before 29/02/12. We are short on numbers in the squad and surely a player could be found that could do an impact sub job up front ? Piquionne is not a bad option if you are in the relegation places fighting to stay up

Last edited:

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Well nice and simple just for you. 110 divided into 22 is 4.82 which would be 5 in any ones language (other than yours). League performance (which is more relevant) in England is 13 goals in 87 appearances - 6.69 games per goal (7 in nice round numbers). Oh and the staggering performance this season - 2 in 19 games. I must be deluded he's red hot.

Oh, you're changing your stats as quickly as you can muster them. Number of goals he's scored on a rainy day, number of goals he hasn't scored on days when he's out his bins out. His 2 goals this season coming from 8 starts, by the way, the balance being bench appearances....

The debate was, and remains simple. Doncaster have drafted in two players who pose more of a goal threat than we have. If you dismiss their worth you can continue your campaign of anti-Thorn rhetoric as our position above them in the league is our divine right. If you have to acknowledge we're better placed than a team with better assets, you have to afford Thorn some credit, eh? And you'd rather piss on your own tea than go there - hence your judgement being clouded

Users who are viewing this thread