Doug King Interview (1 Viewer)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Na not stressed about it anythings an improvement on the previous regime.

Just dont really buy into the whole love in yet is all. I mean this window is the acid test isnt it?
This is where I’m at - I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how he’s gone about things, but waiting to see where we’re at on August 31st

Robins signed a 4 year deal, to have that surety he must be privy to some positive information

Senior Vick from Alicante

Na not stressed about it anythings an improvement on the previous regime.

Just dont really buy into the whole love in yet is all. I mean this window is the acid test isnt it?

I wouldnt stress to much I think we will go early with the purchases and the loans as always will come later. Imagine being a Leicester fan, 10 first teamers out of contract and Madison going to be sold plus they mortgaged all the broadcasting and gate money for the next three years and are going to have to use the parachute payments to pay that off. Trust the process.

Nick

Administrator
We really don't know how wealthy he is. Is it reasonable to ask the guy to put £10m into squad investment when he's just bought the club for who knows how many million?
He isn't going to put 10m of his money in. More than likely sell to put it in

napolimp

I wouldnt stress to much I think we will go early with the purchases and the loans as always will come later. Imagine being a Leicester fan, 10 first teamers out of contract and Madison going to be sold plus they mortgaged all the broadcasting and gate money for the next three years and are going to have to use the parachute payments to pay that off. Trust the process.

Something to think about isn't it. All well and good saying Leicester will have loads of money to spend on players once they've sold Madison and Barnes, but how long is it going to take to get a new squad to gel? And who's going to do it? I think it will take a monumental effort for them to be challenging at the top next season.

Pusb1

Didn't he allegedly bid 30 mill for the stadium?

Put that money into the transfer budget + Gyok and Hamer funds (Another 30 mill) and we'll be well away.

Of course he won't do that, but still

cooperskyblue

Moaning about the pyramid, the word sensible been said numerous times

basically, I can’t see him spending
But it is about being sensible isn't it? That doesn't mean not spending. But spending it wisely. Otherwise we end up back at square 1 and like Derby and other clubs who recklessly spent unsustainably and have felt the consequences.

I like that the ambition is to be in the playoffs 3/5 years as Doug said. That to me and us as fans is all we can want is it not? To be competitive at the right end of the table under a model that won't see us go bust.

Garlana86

Doug always come across well in interviews imo, well spoken etc, The jury is still out, as mentioned by Jordan, he's new to this. Surely Robins has been told about some investment, you can't expect Robins to get top 6 in 3/5 seasons with a shoestring budget and after selling our best players.

Mucca Mad Boys

Moaning about the pyramid, the word sensible been said numerous times

basically, I can’t see him spending
He said he’ll do in a sustainable fashion and we have a target of getting promoted via the playoffs and that takes time.

A lot of fans need perspective. Not every owner is a billionaire or backed by a sovereign wealth fund.

Mark Robins has said he’ll have more to spend, but not significantly more. Doug King has said multiple times he’s not throwing money at this. Why anyone thinks we’re going to become one of the biggest spenders in the league is beyond me.

Garlana86

But it is about being sensible isn't it? That doesn't mean not spending. But spending it wisely. Otherwise we end up back at square 1 and like Derby and other clubs who recklessly spent unsustainably and have felt the consequences.

I like that the ambition is to be in the playoffs 3/5 years as Doug said. That to me and us as fans is all we can want is it not? To be competitive at the right end of the table under a model that won't see us go bust.
Would snap your hand off to be in the playoff places or automatics in 3/5 seasons. Way more than any team with our expenditure and recent history in the lower league should expect.

pusbccfc

Speaks well and is sensible. Could be a lot worse.

shmmeee

He also admitted he hadn't really considered the stadium before buying the club, and just threw a bid together. I suspect said bid was as much so he could say he'd tried than anything serious.

I mean it clearly wasn’t serious, that’s why the judge didn’t entertain it. Same as another bid that came in post exclusivity.

Mucca Mad Boys

Would snap your hand off to be in the playoff places or automatics in 3/5 seasons. Way more than any team with our expenditure and recent history in the lower league should expect.

It’s about building over multiple seasons. We’re in a rebuild phase at the minute with a lot of players to come in. It’s likely Gyokeres will need to be sold and a record fee for him will allow for some reinvestment as well as putting the club on a sounder financial footing. Well run clubs don’t fret about losing managers or players because they plan their replacements in advance. Look at Brighton, Brentford, Brighton and Swansea (in the early Prem days).

To expect us to double our budget overnight doesn’t seem like a realistic or reasonable expectation.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

If he wants to get play offs 3/5 seasons, then surely he has to invest a certain amount to replace the best striker and one of the best midfielders in the league - that was the bare minimum that got us 5th

NorthernWisdom

It’s about building over multiple seasons. We’re in a rebuild phase at the minute with a lot of players to come in. It’s likely Gyokeres will need to be sold and a record fee for him will allow for some reinvestment as well as putting the club on a sounder financial footing. Well run clubs don’t fret about losing managers or players because they plan their replacements in advance. Look at Brighton, Brentford, Brighton and Swansea (in the early Prem days).

To expect us to double our budget overnight doesn’t seem like a realistic or reasonable expectation.
Charlton are probably the best example. A long serving manager who sold one to buy two or three and improve the club as a whole. Took them time to get established, but they did. All went wrong when said manager left mind you, so best stick with Robins!

Users who are viewing this thread