Doyle... captain, leader, legend. (2 Viewers)

luwalla

I know it is easy to say after the event. But I still don't understand why so many were not happy with his signing. The season before he signed for us he was club captain of a side that got promotion. He played nearly every game for them. And many of their supporters didn't want him to leave even though they were going to be playing a level above.
To be fair I think most of us HOPED he would be what we wanted him to be , and he has turned out to be , but after the amount of payday end of their career/ cart horses we have had , it’s not surprising that a lot were sceptical. I always had full confidence though

Astute

To be fair I think most of us HOPED he would be what we wanted him to be , and he has turned out to be , but after the amount of payday end of their career/ cart horses we have had , it’s not surprising that a lot were sceptical. I always had full confidence though
Of course we all hoped he was going to do well.

But he didn't come from a bigger club or a club higher up than we were looking for a final payday. He came from a club that was in the same position as us. He was their captain. He played nearly every game. He wasn't coming back from injury. You can see how much he loves the game. And you can see how sure some of us were with the charity bets that were struck before the season started.

And if we don't win on Monday I would be happy to do the same again. There has been nothing to suggest that he doesn't have another season in him.

Sterling Archer

Steady on with the "legend" talk. He was crap during the '17th in the Championship Years' and eventually found his level. Lets not pretend we weren't lambasting the midfield during that time of which he was a mainstay. Like Richard Shaw, he was long serving player for the club, not because he chose to stay but because no one else wanted him.

However, the above is far too negative for the mood we're all in so I will say this. Bar McNulty, he has been my player of the season. He still can't pass a ball but I don't think there is anyone better in the division from what I've seen who can break up play and in this division that is vital. A lot of people (myself included) were worried his "old legs" may have finally given up this season but they've shown nothing of the sort. Speaks volumes the amount of games he's got under his belt since hitting his mid 30's.

For me, he really came into his own in that second leg, you could just tell he relished the situation.

Last edited:

Joy Division

I have to agree. I thought the partnership of Doyle/Hughes all those years (seemed like it anyway) was a reason for our decline as they were constants over a largely poor period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think its necessarily wrong to suggest that, I was never a big fan of Doyle in the Championship years and wasn't particularly overjoyed when he returned this season. I just think at this level he can get away with his lack of footballing ability a bit more rather than being shown up a bit in the Championship. I was definitely wrong and he's been a great signing.

steve82

7c6528e792e787c2e5f59233dfa2f690.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ps1948

Be interesting to see what sort of reception he gets from the Pompey fans next season, hopefully it will be a positive one!

Mucca Mad Boys

Probably Robins’ best signing, which is quite a statement given our success in the market this season.

We need to look for a natural successor to him. What do people think of Kelly as a successor? I think he’d be quite good as a skipper down the road.

steve82

Probably Robins’ best signing, which is quite a statement given our success in the market this season.

We need to look for a natural successor to him. What do people think of Kelly as a successor? I think he’d be quite good as a skipper down the road.

On the current set up Liam Kelly is the man but Tom Davies could emerge as a future captain.

I do not rate Willis as a captain, he’s not quite got the leadership qualities to do the role and it takes the focus of his own game too much

AlansEyes

Must admit that memories of the Doyle and Stephen Hughes midfield partnership clouded my judgement when the re-signing of Doyle was announced. I wasn't dead against it, but wasn't particularly enthused either. He's been the nailed on player of the season for me. Exactly what we needed; a bit of bite in midfield. Also, far more creative than I recall first time around. It'll be interesting to see if he has the legs left in him for a year in L1, but even if he's more of a bit part player (although I've seen nothing to suggest so far that he won't cut it) he will be a great influence in the dressing room.

Mucca Mad Boys

On the current set up Liam Kelly is the man but Tom Davies could emerge as a future captain.

I do not rate Willis as a captain, he’s not quite got the leadership qualities to do the role and it takes the focus of his own game too much

Willis could be part of a 'leadership group', but I don't see him as captain as of yet. Doyle certainly has set the bar high as to what to expect from a captain.

CCFC88

Kelly s spent a season learning form one of the best, if half of Doyle's leadership ability has rubbed off on him then he's heading in the right direction, he has already been club captain of Oldham and Leyton O.
Would a CM of Kelly and Bayliss be a bit leightweight next season with JJ on the right?
I like the Tom Davies call also, seems to be a much liked character in the dressing room and may be ready for it after maturing for another season

steve82

Willis could be part of a 'leadership group', but I don't see him as captain as of yet. Doyle certainly has set the bar high as to what to expect from a captain.

What Doyle’s does and has done is that of a top Captain. The link during the 90 mins between him and his team mates and then him and the fans is something else. Always cupping his ears asking us for more even after Shipley scored yesterday asking for more form the fans.

Willis could potentially develop into a leader but doesn’t have that experience of game management for me or the capabilities to do what Doyle does. Maybe in 5 years time he’d be a good captain. Not so sure we will see it tho.

Users who are viewing this thread