eBay Scammer Scams Cov Couple (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Got no sympathy for 'em. The internet has been around long enough for people to know when a scam is a scam. It's the old saying isn't it - "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably ain't true!"

hill83

It's a shame, but it's their own fault.

“The more we read the more sick we felt, the website informed us eBay don’t have a financial department, all motor purchases are cash on collection."

Why would you not check that before handing over the money. Madness.

wingy

I really feel for them.
Hope they find the conning bastards, some people are just a tad naive and totally trusting.

chiefdave

Watchdog is the same, story after story of people who have lost money by being complete idiots. If it sounds too good to be true it is.

skybluejelly

The way the article is written ( or maybe the way my cynical mind works) they seem to be angling for a Good Samaritan garage to help them out .. You know the sort of thing .. Garage owner reads about it in paper sees an opportunity for cheap advertising gives them a car for free .. At the end of the day why would you send money without having the car and log book first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covstu

I feel sorry for them, these scammers are experts in bringing confidence and almost picturing the person you are buying it from. Sadly many pepole fall for these every day and the fraud teams just do not have the resources to investigate. They will never see the money again and doubt ebay will cough up as it didnt go through a protected channel i.e. paypal.

What i do hate about these stories is the comments about the daughter, that has abolsutely nothing to do with the issue beign reported on!

Nick

Administrator
It is a bit like the people who fall in love with Soldiers in Iraq and send them hundreds of thousands of pounds. It turns out to be Nigerians crammed in an office doing it 24 hours a day and making millions.

I agree about the comment on the daughter, it is to add to the drama. I can understand with some items say a big TV or something like that bought online, but who buys a car without seeing it?

Covstu

It is a bit like the people who fall in love with Soldiers in Iraq and send them hundreds of thousands of pounds. It turns out to be Nigerians crammed in an office doing it 24 hours a day and making millions.

I agree about the comment on the daughter, it is to add to the drama. I can understand with some items say a big TV or something like that bought online, but who buys a car without seeing it?
Yep one thing you dont buy off the cuff!
I am expecting the xfactor style music to be playing in the background with stories like this!

chiefdave

but who buys a car without seeing it?

If I was leasing and knew what make model I wanted I guess I might do it online but I certainly would look into the company first, check some reviews that kind of thing, before handing over a big chunk of money. Second hand car - no way, you'd be mad to buy one without seeing it.

If you look on ebay they have a warning on there that there isn't an ebay financial centre and any seller claiming there is should be avoided.

Covstu

If I was leasing and knew what make model I wanted I guess I might do it online but I certainly would look into the company first, check some reviews that kind of thing, before handing over a big chunk of money. Second hand car - no way, you'd be mad to buy one without seeing it.

If you look on ebay they have a warning on there that there isn't an ebay financial centre and any seller claiming there is should be avoided.
when leasing you dont hand over £2500!!

wingy

By God your a hard hearted bunch
I hope none of life's pitfalls or adversty's ever befall you.

Nick

Administrator

If I hand somebody £2500 for a car I didn't even know exists and got ripped off I'd totally understand I was a bit simple for doing it. I'd learn from it rather than running to the press though.

hill83

Well seeing as I'm not a total div I reckon I'll avoid lobbing a wedge of cash to Captain McScam.

Nick

Administrator
Well seeing as I'm not a total div I reckon I'll avoid lobbing a wedge of cash to Captain McScam.

Too late, just sold the Sky Blues Talk email list to a Nigerian who is going to offer you all £10 million to look after, he just needs your bank details, a copy of your passport, your address etc. Ironically everything he may need to commit identity fraud and get you into lots of debt!

skybluejelly

In response to your last sentence ... David blunkett

skybluejelly

Too late, just sold the Sky Blues Talk email list to a Nigerian who is going to offer you all £10 million to look after, he just needs your bank details, a copy of your passport, your address etc. Ironically everything he may need to commit identity fraud and get you into lots of debt!

I don't need a Nigerian to get me into lots of debt ... I have a wife and kids for that

Nick

Administrator
It's ok, trading standards have issued a warning now.

We would also advise people never to transfer money to anyone that they have not seen in person to confirm who they are and never send money for goods or services you have not seen or received.

Especially when you think you are getting a 9-10k car for 2500. Double dodgy!

Nick

Administrator
Anyone interested in buying this bridge I've got for sale? Five grand + a fiver p&p will do it.

You forgot the pic:

harbour-bridge-1718.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread