Election 2015 (1 Viewer)

Ashdown

Subject: Topical Tale

The Northampton Police report finding a man's body in the River Nene. The dead man's name will not be released until his family has been notified.

The victim apparently drowned due to excessive beer consumption.

He was wearing black fishnet stockings, a red garter belt, a pink G-string, a strap-on dildo, purple lipstick, and a ‘Milliband for PM’ in 2015 T-shirt.

He also had a cucumber in his rectum.

The police have removed the Ed Milliband T-shirt to spare his family any unnecessary embarrassment.

stupot07

Don't Germany use PR? They're thriving as a nation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

bigfatronssba

Theory and practice don't always work though do they - Italy being a case in point. You also get undue influence from minority extreme parties too - imagine a coalition of DUP, UKIP, Greens... not overly central, that.

And if everything moves to the centre regardless of election, is there a point in elections full-stop?

Not against PR as such, but not sure it's the saviour it's made out to be. Our system is certainly not perfect (it elects the wrong PM far too often for my liking ;) ) but there is something to be said for a strong government able to put into action its own manifesto.

Baically it could end up like this:

[video=youtube;8aUxilWb2Og]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUxilWb2Og[/video]

bigfatronssba

Don't Germany use PR? They're thriving as a nation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I'm not sure the German political system is the best example to counter the argument that PR can let in dangerous extreamists.

chiefdave

Most countries that use PR have a minimum % threshold to block out the really extreme parties with very small support. The UKIP argument seems to be the new stick to beat down PR with but whatever you think of them is it fair that they have 13% of the vote and 1 seat?

PR as a system would seem to work as something like 21 of 28 countries in Western Europe use PR. We stand with USA and Canada as proponents of FPTP. USA is a genuinely two party system (there are other parties but in their last election no other party gained even 1% of the vote), so a stronger arguement for FPTP and Canada is in a similar position to us having historically been two party but now more fragmented with growing calls for voting reform.

If you want to engage people in politics you have to make sure peoples vote counts for something.

stupot07

Isn't our recovery stronger than theirs?

I may be wrong but I didn't think they had been hit as hard as U.S. By the recession owing to their much higher proportion of industry and our economies reliance on financials services/banking sector?

skybluetony176

I may be wrong but I didn't think they had been hit as hard as U.S. By the recession owing to their much higher proportion of industry and our economies reliance on financials services/banking sector?

I'll take that as a yes ;)

wingy

Seems Chuka Ammuna Is ruling himself out as Its to early for him
So Yvette Cooper should in theory be the one
A good one too

Otis

Most countries that use PR have a minimum % threshold to block out the really extreme parties with very small support. The UKIP argument seems to be the new stick to beat down PR with but whatever you think of them is it fair that they have 13% of the vote and 1 seat?

PR as a system would seem to work as something like 21 of 28 countries in Western Europe use PR. We stand with USA and Canada as proponents of FPTP. USA is a genuinely two party system (there are other parties but in their last election no other party gained even 1% of the vote), so a stronger arguement for FPTP and Canada is in a similar position to us having historically been two party but now more fragmented with growing calls for voting reform.

If you want to engage people in politics you have to make sure peoples vote counts for something.

Yep. I was just starting to get a bit more excited about politics again with the emergence of smaller parties seemingly coming to the table, but with FPTP it has just shown up again how wrong our system is.

I cannot stand UKIP or what they represent, but they got 13% of the vote and that should count for something. Talk about disenfranchising the people. I would say less people are now likely to vote at all next time. The Green's have increased their vote five fold, but still just have one seat to show for it.

You have to say to yourself sometimes, just what is the point?

The way it is now for me is that I am now just likely to vote Labour just to keep the Tories out, because it is now just a 2 party system again.

stupot07

It looks like the same old tory's as details emerge. Cutting welfare and service for the poor whilst giving the rich more tax breaks.

bigfatronssba

It looks like the same old tory's as details emerge. Cutting welfare and service for the poor whilst giving the rich more tax breaks.

That was hardly a secret was it? It was all discussed before the election.

dutchman

People conveniently forget it was the Labour government which in 2008 scrapped Incapacity Benefit, phased-out Pension Credit and other concessions for the over-60s and introduced a "Bedroom Tax" for people living in private rented accommodation.

SIR ERNIE

The system works. Given the choice of who people wanted as prime minister the correct candidate won.

The boundaries are currently waited to Labour. The first act will be to introduce the boundary commission proposals of reducing constituencies to 600 and making them fairer in terms of number of voters.

this is likely to mean labour will never achieve power again - and rightly so after this pathetic attempt. Milliband put personal glory ahead of his party and it will cost them dearly. The country is conservative by nature. Milliband was like those other hapless Marxists - Foot and Kinnock (but a lot richer) and deserved his night.

As for the odious Clegg I am glad he won his seat and can sit in parliament and see the wreckage he has caused after years of work and endeavour from ash down and Kennedy. A lust for power and a dishonesty that would have even made Blair blush. Another fitting outcome.

First time I've agreed 100% with one of your posts Grendel.

Ashdown

Seems Chuka Ammuna Is ruling himself out as Its to early for him
So Yvette Cooper should in theory be the one
A good one too

God no, not if you support Labour. On the other hand if you want them to forever remain in opposition vote the sharp cat in ! Andy Burnham is their best candidate for me !

Otis

God no, not if you support Labour. On the other hand if you want them to forever remain in opposition vote the sharp cat in ! Andy Burnham is their best candidate for me !

Think he's already been written off. Too much old Labour and rather dull.

It needs a fresh face and fresh thinking.

Ashdown

Think he's already been written off. Too much old Labour and rather dull.

It needs a fresh face and fresh thinking.

The wife of Ed Balls........no, no, no !!! Biggest cheer of the election for me when that spin doctor lost his seat !

Nick

Administrator
We need some of this:

[video=youtube;lkh9Va8FD7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkh9Va8FD7E[/video]

stupot07

The wife of Ed Balls........no, no, no !!! Biggest cheer of the election for me when that spin doctor lost his seat !

Agreed. Labour need to be brave and go for Chucka. Needs 5 years of rebuilding, would be 41 at the next election.

dutchman

BOB100515_3298499k.jpg

Tad

Are people still dumb enough to listen to the media and think the Lib Dems sold out? Ashdown said a wonderful bit on BBCQT on Friday that seems to sum it up perfectly.

People don't seem to know what a coalition actually means and as for selling out, 75% of the lib dems manifesto was put through while they blocked plenty of tory policies that hurt the vulnerable. All this election has resulted in is parties scared of going into a coalition of fear of the same thing happening to them and releasing the chain that was holding the Tories.

Otis

We need some of this:

[video=youtube;lkh9Va8FD7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkh9Va8FD7E[/video]

I guess Bill must have been worth fighting over.

Has he got lovely eyes and a six pack or something?

SIR ERNIE

Are people still dumb enough to listen to the media and think the Lib Dems sold out? Ashdown said a wonderful bit on BBCQT on Friday that seems to sum it up perfectly.

People don't seem to know what a coalition actually means and as for selling out, 75% of the lib dems manifesto was put through while they blocked plenty of tory policies that hurt the vulnerable. All this election has resulted in is parties scared of going into a coalition of fear of the same thing happening to them and releasing the chain that was holding the Tories.

Soundbite Ashdown has never said anything remotely wonderful. He's always been an obnoxious, patronising irrelevance.

Ashdown

Madeline was in the fertilized egg business. She had several hundred young 'pullets' and ten roosters to fertilize the eggs. She kept records and any rooster not performing went into the soup pot and was replaced.

This took a lot of time, so she bought some tiny bells and attached them to her roosters. Each bell had a different tone, so she could tell from a distance which rooster was performing. Now, she could sit on the porch and fill out an efficiency report by just listening to the bells.
Madeline's favourite rooster, old Butch, was a very fine specimen: but, this morning she noticed old Butch's bell hadn't rung at all!
When she went to investigate, she saw the other roosters were busy chasing pullets, bells-a-ringing, but the pullets hearing the roosters coming, would run for cover.

To Madeline's amazement, old Butch had his bell in his beak, so it couldn't ring.
He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job, and walk on to the next one.
Madeline was so proud of old Butch, she entered him in the Dowerin Show and he became an overnight sensation among the judges.
The result was the judges not only awarded old Butch the "No Bell Peace Prize": they also awarded him the "Pulletsurprise" as well.
Clearly old Butch was a politician in the making.

So remember, who else but a politician could figure out how to win two of the most coveted awards on our planet by being the best at sneaking up on the unsuspecting populace and screwing them when they weren't paying attention?

Vote carefully in the next election. You won't always hear the warning bells.

Tad

Soundbite Ashdown has never said anything remotely wonderful. He's always been an obnoxious, patronising irrelevance.

Like all politicians then.

You clearly didn't hear what he said.

Houdi

Have kept away from this thread during the election, there is enough arguing over on the SISU/Wasps/Council as it is. Now the dust has settled there is 1 viewpoint I read weeks ago that no one else seems to have picked upon,or considered.
That there is one leader who is more happy than Cameron that he won and that is Sturgeon,that the idea she wanted a 'progressive' (whatever that means) left alliance to lock Cameron out of Downing St was utter garbage.
His reasoning was that the SNP raison d'etre is independence , and that the best way of achieving that is a Conservative government, with little or no representation North of the border, and that every contentious decision would be presented as anti Scottish. Next year's Scottish elections would be run by the SNP on the need for another referendum to 'protect' Scotland against the 'wicked' Tories.
However if Labour had won but needed some kind of arrangement with the SNP, then despite all the anti austerity crap. the realities of office would have meant that unpopular cuts would have been needed, and that SNP would have suffered just like the Liberal Democrats. As he pointed out Greece elected a far left government on the promise of fighting austerity, and look what is happening there, huge capital outflows on the banks as people take flight, and a real expectation now that Greece will have to leave the Euro.
Sturgeon's daily rhetoric about locking Cameron out of Downing Street, was purely designed to drive English floating voters back to the Tories, and boy did it work.

SIR ERNIE

Have kept away from this thread during the election, there is enough arguing over on the SISU/Wasps/Council as it is. Now the dust has settled there is 1 viewpoint I read weeks ago that no one else seems to have picked upon,or considered.
That there is one leader who is more happy than Cameron that he won and that is Sturgeon,that the idea she wanted a 'progressive' (whatever that means) left alliance to lock Cameron out of Downing St was utter garbage.
His reasoning was that the SNP raison d'etre is independence , and that the best way of achieving that is a Conservative government, with little or no representation North of the border, and that every contentious decision would be presented as anti Scottish. Next year's Scottish elections would be run by the SNP on the need for another referendum to 'protect' Scotland against the 'wicked' Tories.
However if Labour had won but needed some kind of arrangement with the SNP, then despite all the anti austerity crap. the realities of office would have meant that unpopular cuts would have been needed, and that SNP would have suffered just like the Liberal Democrats. As he pointed out Greece elected a far left government on the promise of fighting austerity, and look what is happening there, huge capital outflows on the banks as people take flight, and a real expectation now that Greece will have to leave the Euro.
Sturgeon's daily rhetoric about locking Cameron out of Downing Street, was purely designed to drive English floating voters back to the Tories, and boy did it work.

Yes, I read something similar by Peter Hitchens a few weeks ago. Have to agree Houdi.

wingy

So Chukka has thrown his hat in the ring
I'm a very proud chap tonight as my daughter and her family just appeared in the ITV news along if I'm not mistaken our very own Trueskyblue Liam

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread