Ellis Simms Going Forward (2 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

A win against i team that I think have won 6 games across 40 isn’t really proving very much - I think they’ve managed about 28 points since last October - isn’t an indication of much yet at all is it?

It is an indication that it’s worth giving new players some time (Simms) and waiting for injured players to return (Allen), before getting on the team and recruitment teams backs, like some have been doing though

Martin180

How is it hindsight? Which position of the team most needed investment on deadline day?
And we were trying to sign Swift according to reports.
Look while I agree we do still need a midfielder the invest across the rest of the squad has been needed . Once Sheaf and O' Hare return I'm sure we'll have enough to see us through to January

SBT

You can only buy players clubs are willing to sell though and getting a replacement in for hamer was never going to be easy. If we don’t get someone in Jan or the summer I’ll be fuming but willing to give club some time to hopefully get the right player(s) in
Barnsley didn’t want to sell Kitching, but we made it work by throwing money at them. If you think that was the best use of the cash then fine, but the fact he’s not even an automatic first choice suggests to me it might have been better thrown elsewhere that window.

Robinshio

people forget that although Vik was awesome he was at times very wasteful
Even in the portuguese league (where he is top scorer) - his conversion rate and accuracy is poor

so long as Ellis scores, we need to forgive the misses, and over the last 2 games with 2 assists and a goal - he is looking the player we thought we had bought and he is 3 years younger than Vik

need to get wright going now

SBT

Precisely! It would be why sign Swift when we needed Kitching . Damned if you do , damned if you don't
I’m sorry - I don’t see why you can justify signings through hypothetical injury problems that didn’t happen, but then call it hindsight when I question the signing after injury problems that actually did.

Martin180

I’m sorry - I don’t see why you can justify signings through hypothetical injury problems that didn’t happen, but then call it hindsight when I question the signing after injury problems that actually did.
Because like it has been said the Sheaf injury magnified the shortfall in midfield .
Like you say you never know when an injury will occur
Think it's best we agree to disagree on this one as we are going round in circles 👍

Grendel

Because like it has been said the Sheaf injury magnified the shortfall in midfield .
Like you say you never know when an injury will occur
Think it's best we agree to disagree on this one as we are going round in circles 👍

we do now have 5 centre backs and an emergency cover one in Bidwell

CCFCSteve

Barnsley didn’t want to sell Kitching, but we made it work by throwing money at them. If you think that was the best use of the cash then fine, but the fact he’s not even an automatic first choice suggests to me it might have been better thrown elsewhere that window.

I don’t know as I’ve not seen Kitching play. I’d imagine we had to pay a premium but it was also known Barnsley needed the cash. If styles had gone maybe they would’ve kept Kitching. I also don’t know what bids we put in for midfielders. I’ve said before I’d be shocked if we hadn’t bid for various players. There are loads of moving parts to get transfers done and none of us have got a clue what went on

stevefloyd

I don’t know as I’ve not seen Kitching play. I’d imagine we had to pay a premium but it was also known Barnsley needed the cash. If styles had gone maybe they would’ve kept Kitching. I also don’t know what bids we put in for midfielders. I’ve said before I’d be shocked if we hadn’t bid for various players. There are loads of moving parts to get transfers done and none of us have got a clue what went on
The game I seen Styles looked much better than Kitching who had a nightmare

BlueSkiesForever

I’d give Kitching a run out for 15 mins at the end of a game just to see where we are with him.
75-80 minute sub for Binks or Thomas whilst we’re 3-0 up seemed like an ideal opportunity yesterday, it’s not like we were going to concede 3 goals in 10-15 mins. Not sure why Robins doesn’t want to give him a quick run about, maybe some sort of injury or confidence issue?

steve cooper

I’d give Kitching a run out for 15 mins at the end of a game just to see where we are with him.
75-80 minute sub for Binks or Thomas whilst we’re 3-0 up seemed like an ideal opportunity yesterday, it’s not like we were going to concede 3 goals in 10-15 mins. Not sure why Robins doesn’t want to give him a quick run about, maybe some sort of injury or confidence issue?
We did concede 3 in 16 minutes from 3-0 up against Swansea last year. That always gives me nightmares

BlueSkiesForever

We did concede 3 in 16 minutes from 3-0 up against Swansea last year. That always gives me nightmares
Yeah fair enough but I suppose it’s quite rare that happens, I just thought yesterday was an idea time to give Kitching 10-15 mins on the pitch, get him up to speed with the championship etc. I’m not sure when he’ll actually be playing him at this rate, seems like Binks, Thomas and Fadz have all got themselves sorted and I can’t see Kitching just randomly coming in for Fadz for 90 mins, even though I’m guessing he’s Fadz’ long term replacement?

warwickskyblue

Personally I think it’s fair to expect a £7 million striker in the Championship to hit the ground running. Or a £4 million+ centre back to actually play!
It took Bergkamp seven and Henry eight games to score their first goals at Arsenal and that didn’t turn out too bad. It was always going to take time for the team to gel with so many different faces.

napolimp

Good. Defence is sorted. Now we can look at midfield come January

Window by window we will improve hopefully

Agreed. I'm sure the club are drawing up a list of potential CDM's for January, I guess that's the positive about there being 3 months till the window, plenty of time to look around.

I genuinely believe that next season is when we're really going to see how good this team can be, whilst this season we'll see glimpses. Still a couple signings away, and some current players to find their feet. Squad will get used to playing with each other, low turnover next summer. I'm more excited for next season than I am for this one, strangely enough.

BlueSkiesForever

I genuinely believe that next season is when we're really going to see how good this team can be, whilst this season we'll see glimpses. Still a couple signings away, and some current players to find their feet. Squad will get used to playing with each other, low turnover next summer. I'm more excited for next season than I am for this one, strangely enough.
Yeah I feel the same, this season is just about finishing in the top 10 to show to any new signings that we’re still a proper solid championship side, and if we somehow get into the playoffs even better, I just don’t see it somehow, never know though I suppose.

I think next season could be a really good one for us as we’ll have all the signings settled down, we’ll know the best team and formation to put out, all the fat will have been trimmed off the overall squad, people like Moore and younger signings that we realise we don’t need, and hopefully we’ll have signed a solid CDM and maybe a couple of backup players, maybe a RWB backup or CM backup, or even a decent attacking midfielder would be ideal as Ayari’s on loan and you never know what will happen with O’Hare. I’m more excited for next season than this one, I just hope Doug manages to pull out like £10 mil or something and get those final quality players that we could really do with.

SkyBlueMatt

Good. Defence is sorted. Now we can look at midfield come January

Window by window we will improve hopefully

Exactly this. We had a thin squad packed full of loans and contracts that were expiring. It was always going to take a few windows to get back.

Defence is sorted for the immediate future, same with upfront and GK. There maybe a signing or two in those areas. The next couple of windows, I'm confident Robins main focus will be improving the midfield.

Robinshio

Agreed. I'm sure the club are drawing up a list of potential CDM's for January, I guess that's the positive about there being 3 months till the window, plenty of time to look around.

its not a CDM we are missing, but the box to box player
Sheaf / Eccles/ Kelly can cover the CDM
O Hare / Ayari/ Palmer/ Allen the No 10
Allen is the closest we have to a box to box player, so we need a top drawer Allen, who can then fill any of the midfield roles as required

StrettoBoy

its not a CDM we are missing, but the box to box player
Sheaf / Eccles/ Kelly can cover the CDM
O Hare / Ayari/ Palmer/ Allen the No 10
Allen is the closest we have to a box to box player, so we need a top drawer Allen, who can then fill any of the midfield roles as required

Probably a left-field thought but I wonder if MVE could be our box to box player. He has the energy and pace and is not lacking in skill.

I suspect that MR won't take a gamble on that now but it could be worth a try towards the end of the season if, as I suspect, we find that we will neither make the play-offs nor be relegated.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Probably a left-field thought but I wonder if MVE could be our box to box player. He has the energy and pace and is not lacking in skill.

I suspect that MR won't take a gamble on that now but it could be worth a try towards the end of the season if, as I suspect, we find that we will neither make the play-offs nor be relegated.
It's Dabo all over again

Role Playing Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

Hertsccfc

No!

Why do people do this?

napolimp

Whilst they're at it, they could try Wright at CB if he's not going to play, to utilise his height.

Users who are viewing this thread