England v Ireland (1 Viewer)

pipkin73

so what is your definition of this fantastic life where no one needs to watch sport anymore?

You think lying in bed with Yoko Ono is reality? I'm really struggling to see your point here mate.
I'd say the likes of Elton John and Rod Stewart have a pretty fucking good life but they still go and watch the football and tennis.
oh dear
!!!!

Skybluefaz

‘Please sir let me pay for my Sky subscription so Mr Maguire can stay a millionaire’

I have no issue with these people who come from modest backgrounds coining it in. Some do extraordinary things.
Obviously Rashford. Drogba also built hospitals in Africa.

I feel like I get value from my subscription, because in these bleak times I can watch elite football, American Football, Cricket.

Done.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

But why is it a moral issue? It bring in billions in revenue from willing customers. The players get their share because it’s off the back of their Labour.

In fact it would be morally wrong for the business owners to pick up that money

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But why is it a moral issue? It bring in billions in revenue from willing customers. The players get their share because it’s off the back of their Labour.

In fact it would be morally wrong for the business owners to pick up that money

I agree it's a much fairer set up than normal business where those that create the most value reap the least reward.

I've no problem with them earning the money that is there.

I just despair that we're in a situation whereby so much money is in something so trivial and inconsequential yet what should be basic societal provisions can't get a small fraction of that to make a real difference to the lives of many is real need..

Grendel

I agree it's a much fairer set up than normal business where those that create the most value reap the least reward.

I just despair that we're in a situation whereby so much money is in something so trivial and inconsequential yet what should be basic societal provisions can't get a small fraction of that to make a real difference to the lives of many is real need..

It’s not trivial though and the money generated is due to its appeal

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

The money is to and from private business in order to make more money - capitalism and all that. It’s up to the government to provide basic societal provisions - not private businesses

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It’s not trivial though and the money generated is due to its appeal

It is trivial. Whoever wins any competition doesn't matter and a few months later it all resets and starts again. It's a distraction from reality and that has value but it's not like Covid would be over now if Man City had won the league last year.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy football and many other sports and entertainment, but that doesn't mean I can't recognise it's inconsequential. If anything that's part of the appeal - I know that deep down it doesn't really matter.

Brighton Sky Blue

It is trivial. Whoever wins any competition doesn't matter and a few months later it all resets and starts again. It's a distraction from reality and that has value but it's not like Covid would be over now if Man City had won the league last year.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy football and many other sports and entertainment, but that doesn't mean I can't recognise it's inconsequential. If anything that's part of the appeal - I know that deep down it doesn't really matter.

It isn’t sportsmen and women getting us a way out of COVID that’s for sure

CJ_covblaze

12 months since we were in Kosovo. Can’t speak highly enough of the people there. The complete opposite to what we experienced a month before.

Users who are viewing this thread