England v Ireland (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Much harder tasks? Like what?
Nearly every kid in the world plays football so to come through and establish yourself at an elite level (or even league 1 or 2) is.pretty fucking hard if you ask me.

Yes, teachers and nurses and bin men all deserve more but I could do all of them jobs, I couldn't do what Harry Kane does.

And as someone pointed out, you don't benidct Cumberbatch or Eddie Redmayne getting shit for the obscene amounts they earn. Is it just the working class who shouldn't be allowed to coin it in?

I keep saying I also think those in performing arts are grossly overpaid. How many brain surgeons get £150k a week? How many in the world are qualified to do it? You can’t just rock up and teach anything either.

clint van damme

I keep saying I also think those in performing arts are grossly overpaid. How many brain surgeons get £150k a week? How many in the world are qualified to do it? You can’t just rock up and teach anything either.

fair enough, I do think certain sections of the media do give a lot of top earners a pass compared to footballers though.

Regarding my comment about teaching I was talking about with training, same as nursing, and I have high regard for both those professions but very few people can be an elite footballer (or elite any sport) no matter the training and guidance they receive.

Brighton Sky Blue

fair enough, I do think certain sections of the media do give a lot of top earners a pass compared to footballers though.

Regarding my comment about teaching I was talking about with training, same as nursing, and I have high regard for both those professions but very few people can be an elite footballer (or elite any sport) no matter the training and guidance they receive.

My point is it’s not the only profession that fits that category and the amount of money involved is pretty obscene when you factor in what it actually involves. The PM runs the country (or at least pretends to) but gets Maguire’s weekly wage in a year? Even in League 1 some players would earn more than me and you can’t say the TV companies are gagging to show those particular games.

It needs reining in.

clint van damme

My point is it’s not the only profession that fits that category and the amount of money involved is pretty obscene when you factor in what it actually involves. The PM runs the country (or at least pretends to) but gets Maguire’s weekly wage in a year? Even in League 1 some players would earn more than me and you can’t say the TV companies are gagging to show those particular games.

It needs reining in.

but Johnson also got paid obscene amounts for his newspaper columns, far more than the average journalist.

And I think the league one average is 72k, hardly mind boggling sums, especially for a short career which can be potentially ended and day by injury.

Grendel

PurpleBin

Not really-just can’t muster the enthusiasm or take an interest anymore in headphone wearing prima donnas that don’t perform and are then too kean on sticking ttwo fingers up too the fans by showing off their cars and swimming pools the next day all over the internet.

I'm not particularly arsed about the national team either myself but, for you, if they didn't have headphones but earphones instead, would that sway you back?

Brighton Sky Blue

but Johnson also got paid obscene amounts for his newspaper columns, far more than the average journalist.

And I think the league one average is 72k, hardly mind boggling sums, especially for a short career which can be potentially ended and day by injury.

Still twice as much as most teachers

clint van damme

Still twice as much as most teachers

so you're suggesting that footballers should have their pay cut so they're in line with or paid less than nurses or teachers?
Or that nurses and teachers should be elevated to the level of footballers?

It's not a realistic argument. They aren't even paid out of the same pot of money.

Looking at todays news it looks like they're increasing parking charges for NHS staff so I wouldn't bank on the remuneration package getting better any time soon.

Perhaps a better target would be not wasting public money on track and trace systems that don't work or allow MPs to claim duck islands on their expenses and giving public sector workers a meaningful rise.

Brighton Sky Blue

so you're suggesting that footballers should have their pay cut so they're in line with or paid less than nurses or teachers?
Or that nurses and teachers should be elevated to the level of footballers?

It's not a realistic argument. They aren't even paid out of the same pot of money.

Looking at todays news it looks like they're increasing parking charges for NHS staff so I wouldn't bank on the remuneration package getting better any time soon.

Perhaps a better target would be not wasting public money on track and trace systems that don't work or allow MPs to claim duck islands on their expenses and giving public sector workers a meaningful rise.

I didn’t say I wanted either of those things. I said I didn’t think it was right.

clint van damme

I didn’t say I wanted either of those things. I said I didn’t think it was right.

fair enough, I don't think many people disagree nurses are under paid. You still get the 'teachers have all those holidays blah blah blah brigade' of which I'm definitely not one and respect them immensely. I just think they should be paid properly from the public purse and that highlighting what footballers earn isn't really a valid argument, IMHO.

Brighton Sky Blue

fair enough, I don't think many people disagree nurses are under paid. You still get the 'teachers have all those holidays blah blah blah brigade' of which I'm definitely not one and respect them immensely. I just think they should be paid properly from the public purse and that highlighting what footballers earn isn't really a valid argument, IMHO.

I don’t think footballers should get hundreds of thousands a week and I think certain other jobs should be better paid. It doesn’t mean I think I deserve to be a millionaire. It also doesn’t mean I expect the market forces to change.

I just think the salaries are ridiculous on principle. We’re on a football forum so footballers are obviously the focus. It doesn’t mean I think Gary Lineker deserves £2 million a year for doing MOTD which is essentially just waffling about football for a few hours a week or that I care less about it

Grendel

Grendel

I mean from a moral viewpoint rather than an economic one.

I still don’t see an issue there

Roger Federer is I think with little argument the best tennis player ever. So is he worth his net earnings of 1 billion. I would say absolutely as he had the skill to earn it as well as the commitment

Brighton Sky Blue

Roger Federer is I think with little argument the best tennis player ever. So is he worth his net earnings of 1 billion. I would say absolutely as he had the skill to earn it as well as the commitment

Well that is where we must agree to disagree.

Otis

I didn’t even know England played Ireland till the next day
It was a hastily arranged fixture. We were supposed to be playing New Zealand but they pulled out because of coronavirus fears and lockdowns.

Grendel

It was a hastily arranged fixture. We were supposed to be playing New Zealand but they pulled out because of coronavirus fears and lockdowns.

I didn’t even know that I actually didn’t even know the teams in the national league group until the other day - I don’t know if it’s the fact we are not in the top flight but I’ve slowly become less and less interested

Adge

I'm not particularly arsed about the national team either myself but, for you, if they didn't have headphones but earphones instead, would that sway you back?
Er, if they can prove that they are the cheap Chinese replica ones-indeed! If they are apple ear pods then the argument still stands I’m afraid. 😁

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

How many tv companies are willing to pay billions to show live brain surgery?

Perhaps if we had a better run society we wouldn't need to spend so much on entertainment to help us forget the world's shit for a short period of time. Because that's what it is - a temporary distraction from reality. It does nothing to actually solve what it is you want to be distracted from. Like taking morphine for cancer - it stops the pain temporarily but it's doing nothing whatsoever to saving your life.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I wasn't aware Federer's backhand had solved the Middle East crisis? Ultimately he's got good at something he enjoys and wants to do but it's of total irrelevance to the bigger picture. So he won a grand slam - great. What's that actually achieved in the grand scheme of things? Next year it all starts again and someone else might win it.

Just as there are idiot youtubers/vloggers etc earning millions for inane claptrap online. Economically I understand why that's happening. Doesn't make it sensible from a societal viewpoint.

Grendel

I wasn't aware Federer's backhand had solved the Middle East crisis? Ultimately he's got good at something he enjoys and wants to do but it's of total irrelevance to the bigger picture. So he won a grand slam - great. What's that actually achieved in the grand scheme of things? Next year it all starts again and someone else might win it.

Just as there are idiot youtubers/vloggers etc earning millions for inane claptrap online. Economically I understand why that's happening. Doesn't make it sensible from a societal viewpoint.

More people are interested in him winning grand slams than the ME crises.

I think he’s won a little bit mite than one grand slam.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

More people are interested in him winning grand slams than the ME crises.

I think he’s won a little bit mite than one grand slam.

But what has it ACTUALLY achieved? He's hit a ball around a bit better than some other people for a fair few years.

WHY are people more interested in it? Because on the whole life's shit and they want distracting from that.

Perhaps if we made life better to start with they wouldn't need 'doping' from reality so much,

#keep you doped with religion and sex and TV#
#and you think you're so clever and classless and free#
#but you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see#

clint van damme

But what has it ACTUALLY achieved? He's hit a ball around a bit better than some other people for a fair few years.

WHY are people more interested in it? Because on the whole life's shit and they want distracting from that.

Perhaps if we made life better to start with they wouldn't need 'doping' from reality so much,

#keep you doped with religion and sex and TV#
#and you think you're so clever and classless and free#
#but you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see#

so what is your definition of this fantastic life where no one needs to watch sport anymore?

You think lying in bed with Yoko Ono is reality? I'm really struggling to see your point here mate.
I'd say the likes of Elton John and Rod Stewart have a pretty fucking good life but they still go and watch the football and tennis.

Users who are viewing this thread