England v Uruguay (1 Viewer)

SkyblueBazza

We're just not good enough.

Can't fault the effort though so not totally devastated.

PUSB

Otis

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but I once again go back to the fact that we didn't deal with Pirlo last Saturday.

Big Hodgson mistake I think. He has now come out and said Sterling was allocated to deal with Pirlo. Now, Sterling did have a very good game of course, but with him up the other end of the field every time Pirlo got the ball there was no England player within 5 yards of him. Sterling was the wrong player to deal with Pirlo.

THIS was the start of our downfall. I think we could and should have got something out of that Italian game. Losing that match has undoubtedly effected England tonight. We were dull, lacklustre, error ridden and rather clueless.

I think Roy got the tactics completely wrong last Saturday and that was the start of our demise.

I think Hodgson failed us as well as the players.

Last edited:

Marty

Why didnt we test suraezs knee out. First time he touched the ball he should have been clattered into.

Drop Rooney and Gerrard for good and move onto the next generation. .

SkyBlueHomer

Impressive going forward but very suspect at the back.
If you look at most other teams who go through their groups they won't make half as many individual errors as us in games

Grendel

Why didnt we test suraezs knee out. First time he touched the ball he should have been clattered into.

Its that kind of British bulldog crap that is why we are where we are - behind most other nations.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We didn't even have a go

Barkley and Lallana for Sterling and Welbeck were the changes.

Any other manager in this world cup who was in our situation would have took off a defender and went 3 at the back. Should have chucked on Welbeck, Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge, Barkley, Lambert all together instead of doing like for like changes.

J

Jack Griffin

Italy population 61m
England population 53M
Costa Rica population 4.8M
Uruguay population 3.4M

Just saying,...

rob9872

So why don't china win all the world cups then?

Otis

We didn't even have a go

Barkley and Lallana for Sterling and Welbeck were the changes.

Any other manager in this world cup who was in our situation would have took off a defender and went 3 at the back. Should have chucked on Welbeck, Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge, Barkley, Lambert all together instead of doing like for like changes.

Agree! We didn't have a go. I said during the friendlies, we looked better (apart from the back 4) with the youngsters in (Barclay, Lallana, Wilshere, Ox, Sterling etc.)

And I disagree about us being beaten by Suarez. We were beaten by a better Uruguayan side. We simply weren't good enough.

Astute

Well done Gerrard. You cost Liverpool the title and now look as though your mistake has knocked England out of the World Cup.

How about doing yourself a favour and doing a Dennis Wise? Come and join us and make a name for yourself :whistle:

Grendel

Italy population 61m
England population 53M
Costa Rica population 4.8M
Uruguay population 3.4M

Just saying,...

Irrelevant really. The amount of available players that are English in the Premier league is though.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I said during the friendlies, we looked better (apart from the back 4) with the youngsters in (Barclay, Lallana, Wilshere, Ox, Sterling etc.)

And I disagree about us being beaten by Suarez. We were beaten by a better Uruguayan side. Wesimply weren't good enough.

The subs were pathetic any other manager would have taken a defender off and threw the kitchen sink at Uruguay, instead we done like for like changes.

stupot07

This is probably what the FA wanted, they can come back with their B team idea as the savour of English football....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Think Roy got his tactics all wrong tonight.

Agree with Otis that V Italy the marking of Pirlo was all wrong too.

But tonight, Cavani (??) shouldn't have been allowed to get the ball into Suarez for the first the way he did and Jags should have been marking better.

I've been a long term admirer of Jagielka. Think he's a good player. But I think this tournament shows he may not be up international level.

stupot07

But tonight, Cavani (??) shouldn't have been allowed to get the ball into Suarez for the first the way he did and Jags should have been marking better.

I've been a long term admirer of Jagielka. Think he's a good player. But I think this tournament shows he may not be up international level.

Tbf he'd had a few injuries towards the end of the season, I think he only played 1 or 2 since Feb, so may not be fully fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Grendel

He's still the best central defender though. There is a total lack of quality. When you are bringing on Adam Lallana and Ricky lambert as the game changers then you know there is no quality.

Otis

Really think we need to rip it up and start again and I would start with Hodgson.

Again tonight there was caution and lack of flair and belief.

Thought we had blown those cobwebs away. When we attack with freedom we look good, when we start using caution we look piss poor.

We should have given th young players a free reign. Let's face it, before the tournament none of us expected any great shakes from the side, so we should have just gone with a lot more of the players that will be England's future.

I wouldn't have taken Lampard and I think Gerard has been on the wane for some time. Johnson is well past his best and Henderson I don't feel is up to this level of football.

We should have gone into the competition I feel on the back of Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barclay and Lallana. Nothing special would have been expected of them but it would be the start of building a strong England team for the future.

Too often in these tournaments we go with the same old tired old faces. And all too often they fail us.

Grendel

I think you'd have found that most other nations would have done just that but thankfully we're not normally that cynical.

The likes of Germany and Netherlands wouldn't care. They would know over 90 minutes their technical ability and possession would mean a team like Uruguay would be no threat.

Otis

I wish they would stop talking about it not being all over yet too.

We are OUT!! Forget it. Too many permutations. Play the kids on Tuesday. Forget any hope of getting through. Worry is though that Roy will still play the old stagers on the back over a 1% chance of getting through.

I do wish people would stop saying we played well tonight either. Saturday we played very well in patches, tonight we were very, very poor.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Ah well. That's another 3 points in the bag! :claping hands:

Oh, sorry. I forgot the bit about my prediction league score! :)

turlykerd

We are OUT!! Forget it. Too many permutations. Play the kids on Tuesday. Forget any hope of getting through. Worry is though that Roy will still play the old stagers on the back over a 1% chance of getting through.

I do wish people would stop saying we played well tonight either. Saturday we played very well in patches, tonight we were very, very poor.

we had that little spell around our goal where we played well.

if only we could do that for a game and not 5 minutes

Grendel

Italy should beat cost rica and so should we. Normally Italy vs Uruguay - what result would you predict?

Otis

Thing that really irks me the most is that we know our defence is poor. We know we are susceptible and it is our weakest side to our game. That's why we should have just gone for it tonight.

I think we were too cautious, too deep and really didn't get at them as we should have.

Users who are viewing this thread