England vs Italy (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

Sturridge is fit so Rooney will not get his preferred role up front. That for me suggest he must be sacrificed to the bench.
Rooney lives off purple patches and currently he is not having one...everyone can see that. He is not world class. Messi has been having a poor run of form for him, coming back off injury and the like but last night while going through that he scored a brilliant goal and that frankly is world class.

I want LLanna and co in there. They are players that excite me and unlike years ago these players are good enough so therefore old enough. Point in case 19 year old Stirling MOTM.

Otis

Sturridge is fit so Rooney will not get his preferred role up front. That for me suggest he must be sacrificed to the bench.
Rooney lives off purple patches and currently he is not having one...everyone can see that. He is not world class. Messi has been having a poor run of form for him, coming back off injury and the like but last night while going through that he scored a brilliant goal and that frankly is world class.

I want LLanna and co in there. They are players that excite me and unlike years ago these players are good enough so therefore old enough. Point in case 19 year old Stirling MOTM.

Nothing to stop Hodgson playing both Rooney AND Sturridge though, Pax. It is not written in stone that we have to only play one up front. He can play Sturridge with Rooney just behind him in a free role.

Been quite a few calls for that from pundits.

I agree with Nick, play him in his preferred/best position or drop him. What's the point sticking him out on the left. He was completely lost when it came to helping out Baines at left back. That's not his role and it's not what he does best.

It's a simple choice for me. Play him where he is most comfortable or replace him.

Covstu

I think Rooney is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt. The lad has been played in all parts of the pitch and people expect him to still be world class. I agree with Pax in that he certainly isnt a world class player, he is an excellent player but not WC.

We know Uruaguay are going to come out all guns blazing and we need to prepare for that, going with a totally attacking team could cause us issues and i think we need to take this game in a similar style to the Italy game and we will win.

stupot07

Nothing to stop Hodgson playing both Rooney AND Sturridge though, Pax. It is not written in stone that we have to only play one up front. He can play Sturridge with Rooney just behind him in a free role.

Been quite a few calls for that from pundits.

I agree with Nick, play him in his preferred/best position or drop him. What's the point sticking him out on the left. He was completely lost when it came to helping out Baines at left back. That's not his role and it's not what he does best.

It's a simple choice for me. Play him where he is most comfortable or replace him.

I agree with the sentiment, however as Phil Neville said when commentating, Rooney has played that role on the left a lot for Man Utd over the years so it's not completely alien to him.

Agree we should either play him in his preferred position or not at all. Unfortunately that means changing either to a 442 which allows him to drop into the hole or 352.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

I agree with the sentiment, however as Phil Neville said when commentating, Rooney has played that role on the left a lot for Man Utd over the years so it's not completely alien to him.

Agree we should either play him in his preferred position or not at all. Unfortunately that means changing either to a 442 which allows him to drop into the hole or 352.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

We might as well play 3 at the back, cos 4 certainly isn't working.

Users who are viewing this thread