Expectations (1 Viewer)

dadgad

What is it we want from our football club? There are two choices:

A) A bit of excitement, pride. with ambition and get up and go. A club that is prepared to take a punt and enjoy the rewards and in so doing benefit from trust with a community.

B) Short sighted greed, court cases, and scant regard for community.

I put myself in the A camp. You?

Otis

What is it we want from our football club? There are two choices:

A) A bit of excitement, pride. with ambition and get up and go. A club that is prepared to take a punt and enjoy the rewards and in so doing benefit from trust with a community.

B) Short sighted greed, court cases, and scant regard for community.

I put myself in the A camp. You?
Expectations?

Well we all pretty much expected Maddison to go anyway at some point and it was going to be now or in the summer.

It has happened that he has gone now and been loaned back. That was pretty much expected.

So therefore, the only question to be had is, was the amount we sold him for accurate to his worth and the best thing for the club?

Also, if the expectation is to go up this season, we've still got him for the rest of this season! Let's not forget that!

As long as he's professional enough to give his best every week we've not lost anything for the rest of the campaign, other than a loan slot used up, though in saying that we can still bring more loans in. The only issue is that only 5 can be in a match day squad.

If as a result of all this Bigi is frozen out, then that would free up another loan slot.

I know the 6 into 5 can prove to be a problem, but are all those 6 players all going to be available every week anyway? Would think it unlikely we will have all those 6 all available for the rest of the season. Bound sure to be injuries and suspensions etc.

The one issue here is that of, have we sold Maddison too cheaply.

Last edited:

Otis

They took a punt with Coleman etc and look what that did.

we still have the player so what has actually changed?
Nowt! Only issue is the fee and whether or not it is enough.

You also need to look at the scenario of maybe Maddison being distracted if he knew he was going to be sold in the summer.

He might then be more reticent in his game, trying to not get injured and maybe a little too determined to put on a good show.

Now he IS a Norwich player come whatever, injury, loss of form, whatever. Less pressure on him now.

Not saying it's still not a distraction, but it might have been a lot worse had he known he would be off in the summer.

Hopefully he can now just concentrate on his football.

Chipfat

The message you send out to the squad, fans and potential new signings, this is a club that lacks ambition to create a good enough squad to be able to compete not at its current level but above. You build round your most talented not sell, players come with no ambition, fan will decide to stay at home as money spent is not going towards progression and existing players take the easy life of picking up a wage..

This deal stinks and shouts short term fix to a long term problem, shit owners who sell the family silver to pay the bills. One time receipts as players like Wilson and Maddison don't grow on trees, sisu have lucked out with these two players where is the next star coming from.

D

Deleted member 4439

Nowt! Only issue is the fee and whether or not it is enough.

You also need to look at the scenario of maybe Maddison being distracted if he knew he was going to be sold in the summer.

He might then be more reticent in his game, trying to not get injured and maybe a little too determined to put on a good show.

Now he IS a Norwich player come whatever, injury, loss of form, whatever. Less pressure on him now.

Not saying it's still not a distraction, but it might have been a lot worse had he known he would be off in the summer.

Hopefully he can now just concentrate on his football.

Agree that we may now see the better of him. Was plain to all against scunny that he was pulling out of all tackles.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I disagree, no point having one talented player if the defence is a complete shambles and we don't make the play offs.

sacrificing one player as a sale with an immediate return clause on loan and having his sale money to fund better defenders may actually be the best deal.

time will tell but I trust in this manager to try and get a team promoted, not one individual.

dadgad

I disagree, no point having one talented player if the defence is a complete shambles and we don't make the play offs.

sacrificing one player as a sale with an immediate return clause on loan and having his sale money to fund better defenders may actually be the best deal.

time will tell but I trust in this manager to try and get a team promoted, not one individual.

Yep, you all make good points. The next few months will tell us if this is good move or not.
The priority has to be promotion. IF this transfer helps achieve that then it is good business.
If the season disintegrates into mediocrity and more court cases I think it'll spark more long term resentment.:slap:

NorthernWisdom

Perception and a good feeling is important in football however. If the manager can make sure the squad don't receive the message that the club lacks ambition and don't care whether the players fight to get promoted or not, then all may be well. If the fans don't barrack Maddison and the board when we go one down and instead cheer him on to turning the game around with a bit of skill, all might be well.

The bad feeling it leaves, however, could be destructive.

torchomatic

People seem to forget that Maddison had a say in this. He wouldn't have gone if he didn't want to.

dadgad

AND At least that money can be used to buy some players to revive our promotion push and not lawyers fees......

Users who are viewing this thread