F1 2018 season (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

Had to get a train yesterday morning so only caught the first half of the race, then listened to the rest on the radio. Caught up with the highlights last night.

Great strategy call by Red Bull yesterday, gave Danny and Max the platform to show what they can do when they've got a reliable car underneath them. Dan went full honey badger mode after those pit stops, he embodies everything you want to see in F1 in my eyes.

Another good race on the whole, took a while to get going and the safety car provided the ending we got but hey, the fact we got a good race is the most important thing. It's shaping up nicely at the front, Mercedes finally looking vulnerable - even more so than last year. I think it's criminal how Ferrari keep holding back Raikkonen to help Vettel when he's shown brilliant pace himself though, that could come back to haunt them.

Genuinely think we could see a season where Williams end up pointless too, neither the car nor the drivers are near good enough it's looking like.

Paul Anthony

Had to get a train yesterday morning so only caught the first half of the race, then listened to the rest on the radio. Caught up with the highlights last night.

Great strategy call by Red Bull yesterday, gave Danny and Max the platform to show what they can do when they've got a reliable car underneath them. Dan went full honey badger mode after those pit stops, he embodies everything you want to see in F1 in my eyes.

Another good race on the whole, took a while to get going and the safety car provided the ending we got but hey, the fact we got a good race is the most important thing. It's shaping up nicely at the front, Mercedes finally looking vulnerable - even more so than last year. I think it's criminal how Ferrari keep holding back Raikkonen to help Vettel when he's shown brilliant pace himself though, that could come back to haunt them.

Genuinely think we could see a season where Williams end up pointless too, neither the car nor the drivers are near good enough it's looking like.

I'll be honest, turned it off after 14 or so laps. Couldn't be bothered with seeing a Vettel "Run-and-Hide" show at 7 on a Sunday morning. Followed the live text on BBC Sport for a bit, saw Bottas and Vettel were suddenly fighting it out. Turned TV back on at that point. Thank goodness for Pierre Gasly!

What a mad race it became. Nobody in this sport can overtake like Danny Ric. He's the master of the impossible, probably the best asset the sport has at the moment. Loved his move on Lewis, was waiting for him to be flying over the top of Bottas, it looked that close! After nearly not making qualy at all, he and Red Bull deserved that.

Verstappen.. .well. I like the guy. And as much as I enjoyed seeing Vettel facing the wrong way that was just never on. I think he may be trying too hard this year. And it's costing him. No doubt he has talent, but he needs to watch his teammate to perfect the art of overtaking.

Also loved Alonso on Vettel. Might not have been an outright legitimate fight, but it was balls and forceful. No contact made, no problem for me. And that is the difference. I don't mind seeing other cars run the other to the extreme end of the track if there is no contact (let's be honest, nobody used to blink an eye at that once upon a time). It's when you have contact that spins or retires or damages the other car is where I think the line is.

What looked like a boring race turned into an absolute cracker. If only they could all be like that!

SkyBlueSoul

Looking forward to the start of this one with Vettel and Hamilton next to each other from the off. And Kimi compromised his own race before it even started, saving Ferrari having to do it for him! He had a lot of pace again though and the fact he starts on ultras means it could get tasty between the top 6 :emoji_fingers_crossed: Really hoping the Red Bulls give it a good go again and keep it on the track (looking at you Max), can see Ricciardo pulling something off if they do

Last edited:

Paul Anthony

Well, where to start!?

Luckiest win of Hamilton's career? Probably. Vettel cost himself that race with the lockup. How unlucky was Bottas there?

Verstappen. I love the guy, but something needs to be done about him. You just can't move that many times under braking. It's out of order, and dangerous to do. He keeps doing this kind of thing. Bad enough against anyone, but unforgivable against your teammate.

Vettel likely to win this championship, unfortunately for me. I don't like it and I certainly don't like Ferrari but they're obviously ahead of the game at the minute.

SkyBlueSoul

What a race. Again. So many talking points. 2018 is shaping up very nicely so far!

Hands down his luckiest I'd say, it was almost the equivalent of the Red Sea parting at the end with the Vettel and Bottas incidents and he knew it. Could almost call it payback for Melbourne with the amount of luck he got. Perez got lucky too with him being allowed to take is 5s penalty under the safety car but hey, that's not up to him, he drove a steady race. Shout out for Leclerc too, dead happy for him, and that casual overtake on Alonso. I like the look of the kid.

Max definitely needs to calm down. I don't know what it is this year but he seems to be trying far too hard. It was a brilliant fight between them up until then, that's the kind of racing we want to see but he showed his immaturity again. You know you're doing something wrong when they name a rule after you (even though they dropped it again). Be interesting to see what the stewards make of it. Most disappointing for me was having Ricciardo and Red Bull in my fantasy team!

I'm no Vettel or Ferrari fan, but I think I'd take it with a pinch of salt if he won and it meant a tight championship battle right till the end. I'll be cheering for Hamilton still and hoping Dan and Max get their shit together but I've bemoaned Mercedes' domination so I'd be a hypocrite not to welcome a change of winner, even if it was Seb.

SkyBlueSoul

So, so happy for Danny Ric. What a win that was. I know it's essentially a glorified procession at Monaco but it took a hell of a lot to win that. Hats of to Max as well, may have had the fastest car but made up a good few places having finally had a clean race.

xcraigx

Monaco is just a glorified piss up for the well off with an hour and a half procession to finish proceedings. It really needs binning from the race calendar but that'll never happen.

Paul Anthony

So, so happy for Danny Ric. What a win that was. I know it's essentially a glorified procession at Monaco but it took a hell of a lot to win that. Hats of to Max as well, may have had the fastest car but made up a good few places having finally had a clean race.

I really believe Danny Ric is the best thing F1 has going for it now. A thoroughbred overtaker, and today had nerves of steel. Really thought it was over when he had his engine problem. Shows how good that car is though that whatever he lost on the straights he could gain back in the corners. That car should be mighty at Hungary and Singapore.

Yes, Monaco can be a bit dull. Today was made a more dramatic race by the engine issue and the tyres going off, but I've seen a few decent races there over the years (I believe the 2002 race where Coulthard held off a charging Michael Schumacher was the finest of his 13 wins). It's a different challenge. Same way the old Hockenheim was a different challenge.

SkyblueBazza

I really believe Danny Ric is the best thing F1 has going for it now. A thoroughbred overtaker, and today had nerves of steel. Really thought it was over when he had his engine problem. Shows how good that car is though that whatever he lost on the straights he could gain back in the corners. That car should be mighty at Hungary and Singapore.

Yes, Monaco can be a bit dull. Today was made a more dramatic race by the engine issue and the tyres going off, but I've seen a few decent races there over the years (I believe the 2002 race where Coulthard held off a charging Michael Schumacher was the finest of his 13 wins). It's a different challenge. Same way the old Hockenheim was a different challenge.
Essentially dull for me...Monaco always is in the modern era. It's just a chance for the super-rich to experience F1 in relative 'civil' surroundings...& flaunt wealth to the rest of us - to create desire for the supposed trappings of success.

As someone already pointed out - it was more a procession than race.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Paul Anthony

I usually look forward to Canada. Plenty of scope to overtake, very little run off, mistakes tend to be met with a wall, a vibrant atmosphere.....

But that, well. You could scarcely call that a race. A complete and utter bore. If it hadn't been for that early crash, absolutely nothing of interest would have happened in that "race".

SkyBlueSoul

Sorry, I've only just come round from the coma that race put me in. Was down seeing my Mum this weekend and ended up paying more attention to Legally Blonde on the tv which says it all. Amongst the boredom, one thing that stood out for me was Leclerc again. Once again getting a Sauber in the points, big future for that kid.

You could argue the farce with the flag was interesting but ultimately it's embarrassing for the sport. Not the model's fault and lost Dani Ric the fastest lap accolade. Shambles

Paul Anthony

Sorry, I've only just come round from the coma that race put me in. Was down seeing my Mum this weekend and ended up paying more attention to Legally Blonde on the tv which says it all. Amongst the boredom, one thing that stood out for me was Leclerc again. Once again getting a Sauber in the points, big future for that kid.

You could argue the farce with the flag was interesting but ultimately it's embarrassing for the sport. Not the model's fault and lost Dani Ric the fastest lap accolade. Shambles

At least she waved the thing, unlike Pele back in the day....but what I found interesting (worrying!?) was that she had an official FIA flag marshall telling her when to wave it! Can only speculate he was also bored rigid, and wanted to put everyone out of their misery!

Well impressed with Leclerc. I wonder if he might take Kimi's seat next season. I don't think It's beyond possible, and he's only going to get better through the season with more experience.

SkyBlueSoul

Exactly! At first I nearly rolled my eyes out of my head because the stupid model who has no interest in F1 has waved it early. Then saw it back and saw someone who supposedly knows what they're doing stood there too and couldn't believe it.

Sadly I think it might come down to Seb. He's been bitten once by a newbie coming in and outperforming him, and loves having the apolitical Kimi as his team mate so I can see him vetoing that idea which is sad. Hopefully that's not the case, I'd love to see Leclerc get the seat as well

SkyBlueSoul

Leclerc really is a future champion isn't he? He's driving the wheels off that Sauber.

100%. You’re right when you say Danny Ric is F1’s biggest asset atm but Leclerc will surely be up there within a few years. If he isn’t given a Ferrari seat next season, or latest the season after, it’ll be a travesty the way he’s going.

Paul Anthony

I honestly think it's his seat next year. Kimi's just lost the edge now.

SkyBlueSoul

Sadly I think Ferrari have taken his edge for him. They've used him as a rear gunner even on the weekends he's been quicker than Seb and it almost feels like he's not pushing 100% anymore because what's the point. One of the podcasts I listen to joked that with the length of stints they've asked him to do to help Seb it's almost like they've completely forgotten him at times. "Wait is Kimi still out there?", "Shit, we forgot Kimi!".

Hopefully they bite the bullet and go with Leclerc. His only other option would be Haas and that feels like a sideways step

Paul Anthony

Kimi has some of my favourite memories in the sport, loved the guy whe he was at McLaren and Lotus. His drive in Japan 2005 to steal the lead on the last lap is something I'll never forget. Kimi and McLaren just felt right. Shame he never got the titles he deserved back then. He also gave my favourite grid walk moment in Brazil, "yeah I was having a shit!" live on ITV, classic Kimi that!

Speaking of McLaren, I can't see them winning again. When Fernando leaves at the end of this year, they're going to be in as much trouble as Williams. For a team. With the heritage of Hunt, Lauda, Prost, Senna, Hakkinen, Kimi, Lewis, Jenson and Alonso, it's criminal to see where they are now. Bruce McLaren must be turning in his grave.

Johnnythespider

Just watching the sky coverage of the British grand prix and the presenters spotted Jennifer Saunders and Gerry Halliwell and went to interview them completely ignoring Ade Edmonson standing next to his wife. Only when they walked off did one of them say "that was the bloke from bottom". Plebs

NorthernWisdom

Just watching the sky coverage of the British grand prix and the presenters spotted Jennifer Saunders and Gerry Halliwell and went to interview them completely ignoring Ade Edmonson standing next to his wife. Only when they walked off did one of them say "that was the bloke from bottom". Plebs
Just for you, a picture on the BBC report.

Sebastian Vettel wins British GP, Lewis Hamilton fight back

Anyway, British GP is usually one of the better ones as you can actually overtake. Good win from Vettel, good drive from Hamilton. Think he's a bit paranoid thinking Kimi drove into him deliberately, but he seems to need to think the world's against him to motivate himself.

AngryAnt

Went to my first Grand Prix this weekend, its a completely different animal than on TV, loved every second (apart from the result).

Did any over Cov fans go from here? I saw three shirts (and I apologise to the guy in the Silverstone woodlands when I ran up to him and started 'shouting we've got Michael Doyle').

Give McLaren time, they're turning things round and going back to basics and building. Alonso is one hell of a driver and their looking better this year. Baby steps.

SkyBlueSoul

The 2018 season just keeps on giving! Great race yesterday, was probably made better by the fact the rain stuck to one part of the track when it came. You knew Hamilton would get somewhere near the top 6 even from 14th but the way it all fell for him was ridiculous. Great call on the tyres and interesting to see Mercedes finally dish out some team orders to Bottas, although after what had gone before it wasn't worth throwing away a 1-2

Paul Anthony

The 2018 season just keeps on giving! Great race yesterday, was probably made better by the fact the rain stuck to one part of the track when it came. You knew Hamilton would get somewhere near the top 6 even from 14th but the way it all fell for him was ridiculous. Great call on the tyres and interesting to see Mercedes finally dish out some team orders to Bottas, although after what had gone before it wasn't worth throwing away a 1-2

I can't understand the criticism of Mercedes for using team orders. It's not Like Ferrari didn't use them either...

Mercedes owed a good strategy call. Too many mistakes in the last few races, in a tight championship fight you just don't have room for those kind of errors.

I have to admit to letting out more laughter than I should when Vettel binned it. His one weakness is that he always has a mistake in him, especially under pressure. Not that he really was yesterday...

What on earth were Toro Ross on doing putting Gasly on full wets, by the way! ?

In many ways the championship needed a race like that. Too many processions this year, needed a lift. A little bit of rain always makes things interesting. Now, where is Bernie with those sprinklers he wanted to put in?

It's surely going all the way to the wire this year.

SkyblueBazza

They say you make your own luck...Hamilton/Mercedes have certainly done that this yr. Had he not gone for it as early as he did...Hamilton might not have been in the position he was once Vettel ballsed-up.
Vettel has a very cool head unless he feels some heat. I reckon he was manically driven to push on even in the wet area...which was therefore him making his own luck. Hence his immediate response in the cockpit

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Corrado

the last 20 laps were very entertaining - also loved seeing Vettel crash out

I love the idea of sprinklers - just on certain sections of the tracks - would certainly liven up a dull race

SkyBlueSoul

I can't understand the criticism of Mercedes for using team orders. It's not Like Ferrari didn't use them either...

Mercedes owed a good strategy call. Too many mistakes in the last few races, in a tight championship fight you just don't have room for those kind of errors.

I have to admit to letting out more laughter than I should when Vettel binned it. His one weakness is that he always has a mistake in him, especially under pressure. Not that he really was yesterday...

What on earth were Toro Ross on doing putting Gasly on full wets, by the way! ?

In many ways the championship needed a race like that. Too many processions this year, needed a lift. A little bit of rain always makes things interesting. Now, where is Bernie with those sprinklers he wanted to put in?

It's surely going all the way to the wire this year.
Now team orders are allowed I let it slide. It makes sense when you have 1 driver with a higher chance of winning the championship and can bring home a 1-2 as well. I don't know why but I just got the feeling that when Mercedes made a tyre call that ballsy it was going to work. Maybe not for the win but you just sense for once their was method behind the madness. It was fun seeing all 5 compounds in use at the same time during a race

I was out my chair cheering when Vettel went off, I got a bit too excited.

Oh and Torro Rosso:
aa93e99bc74354d72b9d2a039300efc3.gif

Paul Anthony

Talk about an explosive start to a race!

I've never liked the Halo, but it did a job today. As soon as I saw it, I said aloud "oh my god!"

That's the third big crash I've seen whilst watching the Belgian GP on the telly. The first was the Burti/Irvine incident in 2001, the first race I'd actually took the time to watch. Honestly thought Burti was a goner at the time. Then there was the start crash in 2012, where Alonso almost had his head taken off, and now this one. Each one could have been so much worse than it turned out.

As an aside, but what a farce the Motogp turned into at Silverstone today. Feel. Sorry for the fans that went, but after Rabat's horrific crash I can understand why there were concerns.

Oh, and what a mad show by those crazy BTCC lads up at Knockhill today. As soon as I saw how wet it was, I knew it was gonna be a good'un!

SkyBlueSoul

About the only exciting bit of the race unfortunately
I loved Jack Nichols being asked to explain what happened in the race on the BBC podcast: "So it was Hamilton in pole position, Sebastien Vettel then overtook him coming up to Eau Rouge, there was a really big crash at the first corner.....that was it" and then he laughed

I realised halfway through I'd got up and was pottering around, making lunch etc. and wasn't missing anything at all

Last edited:

Paul Anthony

So, Vettel, again, under pressure makes a mistake. All he had to do was make it through, and Ferrari team orders would unquestionably have handed him the race on a plate. The only question would have been about the soft tyres. How he can blame Hamilton for it is a mystery. Racing incident? Probably. Once that happened, Mercedes were always going to use Bottas to hold up Raikkonen. As soon as Vettel didn't get pole, he went into a tantrum and it got to him.

Probably one of the better races of this year, so far.

Users who are viewing this thread