Fadz (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

It’s not writing him off, it’s taking a pragmatic view that at 37 going on 38, it’s inevitable that performance will begin to decline at some point.

As a club, we need to have a viable succession plan.
Strachan was 40 played and starred for us, in the Premiership too Dennis Wise and Roland Nielsen weren’t far off 40 either.
All three would be well up the list of our best ever players.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

His ability to organise and coach the younger centre backs offsets the lack of pace. Let's see how he gets on, he was written off after the promotion season but went from strength to strength.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Exactly this, we saw how much we missed him when he was injured post the WC break when we had a back 3 of Rose, Doyle, Panzo

I have the same concerns going into this season, while Thomas, Binks and LatiBeau look like great signings on paper, they are young and will make mistakes - this can be mitigated with an older more experienced head to organise, communicate and get positioning right

twistandshout

Strachan was 40 played and starred for us, in the Premiership too Dennis Wise and Roland Nielsen weren’t far off 40 either.
All three would be well up the list of our best ever players.
The problem is Faz pace is only getting worse. The same could be said about Godden, the difference is Faz is often the last man between the striker and the goalkeeper.

Grendel

The problem is Faz pace is only getting worse. The same could be said about Godden, the difference is Faz is often the last man between the striker and the goalkeeper.

I don't think pace has ever been one of his attributes

AOM

His ability to organise and coach the younger centre backs offsets the lack of pace. Let's see how he gets on, he was written off after the promotion season but went from strength to strength.

I swear people say the same thing about McFadzean at the start of every season he's been with us, but he's improved every year.
Eventually he will have to be phased out, but wouldn't be surprised to see he's still a key point in defence this season

fernandopartridge

I swear people say the same thing about McFadzean at the start of every season he's been with us, but he's improved every year.
Eventually he will have to be phased out, but wouldn't be surprised to see he's still a key point in defence this season
There is a bit of recency bias because of the Luton game I think

Reactions: AOM

TomRad85

Not so sure. Thomas likes to carry the ball & get forward which can be done easier from the wider CB roles.
Which one of our current centre backs do you feel would be most likely to drop into the middle?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Frostie

Which one of our current centre backs do you feel would be most likely to drop into the middle?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
If Fadz was unavailable on Sunday & we hadn't brought another in, possibly Latibeaudiere. He's pretty comfortable on either side & can utilise his range of passing. I'd probably be a bit concerned about him aerially against a more direct side though.

That's not to say Thomas wouldn't do a good job in the centre, I'm sure he would, but just think it takes away from some of his assets & the way we will look to build attacks.

Mucca Mad Boys

Thomas although I think he perfectly suits RCB

we need a CCB

I agree, he’s going to start the season because he is a great leader. It’s a long season, and you’ve got to question whether he can maintain that level of performance - or fitness even - for 50+ games this season.

There’s got to be a plan, and I suspect we’ll sign a more experienced CB to play alongside the young players.

Not sure how true this was, but we’re reportedly linked with Jack Hendry, a 28 year old CB standing at 6”5 - before we went to Saudi. I suspect he would be a CCB.

Matt smith

I agree, he’s going to start the season because he is a great leader. It’s a long season, and you’ve got to question whether he can maintain that level of performance - or fitness even - for 50+ games this season.

There’s got to be a plan, and I suspect we’ll sign a more experienced CB to play alongside the young players.

Not sure how true this was, but we’re reportedly linked with Jack Hendry, a 28 year old CB standing at 6”5 - before we went to Saudi. I suspect he would be a CCB.
I just think we need that type of centre half, we’ve got ball players, we need a bit of a lump 😂

fernandopartridge

The great thing with Fadz is he can do a bit of both. Not the same levels on the ball to the likes of Doyle obviously but not bad.
He's excellent on the ball really, not the passing range necessarily but his calmness say when facing his own goal.

Martin180

My opinion will be Latibeaudiare will play centrally when Fadz is out . He isn’t the presence of Fadz but Thomas and Binks are big units , also he’s played CDM for Jamaica recently so will have to positional awareness to read the game

Dirk Turpin

He looked a bit shaky the first season we came up and dropped a few clangers, but hes stepped up massively. You could see how much Doyle and McNally learned from him when they played in the 3 at the back. Still think he will feature this season just with a few younger lads on either side to do the running

AOM

He looked a bit shaky the first season we came up and dropped a few clangers, but hes stepped up massively. You could see how much Doyle and McNally learned from him when they played in the 3 at the back. Still think he will feature this season just with a few younger lads on either side to do the running

Seemed to bring the best out of Panzo too. He looked a bit lost and his form dropped when McFadzean was out

Dirk Turpin

Seemed to bring the best out of Panzo too. He looked a bit lost and his form dropped when McFadzean was out
Probably one of the best to learn from, knows a little shithousery from the lower leagues but can also keep it subtle enough for championship.

Reactions: AOM

stupot07

There will come a time when his legs go and his influence wanes at this level, it happens to all players.

I was shocked at how poor he was against Exeter, but we have to give him some time.

Brighton Sky Blue

There will come a time when his legs go and his influence wanes at this level, it happens to all players.

I was shocked at how poor he was against Exeter, but we have to give him some time.

There will, but his influence on those around him is worth as much as what he does himself.

fernandopartridge

In fairness to him he might be just a bit rusty, reckon / know at his age coming back to full fitness is a slower process

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

With three at the back, you can afford to have one no-nonsense old-fashioned centreback to kick and head stuff away, and if that player can also help manage the game for those around him with less experience even better.

At some point Fadz's will struggle to keep up with the game and it will outweigh what he does bring to the side. I hope that situation isn't imminent and we can let one of the other's CB's learn from him so they can take over. I think Thomas might have been signed with one eye on that.

Users who are viewing this thread