Favourite Ever Cov City Player ? (3 Viewers)

Terry_dactyl

Tommy H....
While he was before my time, Tommy Hutchison used to have a job as sports development officer at the council I worked for. He used to play in the weekly, lunch time 5 asides! Alas, I wasn’t invited to play until after he’d left. Apparently he could no longer run but you weren’t getting the ball off him!

SkyBlueSid

I've supported the City since 1963 and I have no hesitation in saying Tommy Hutchison is the greatest player we have ever had. I remember in the 70s going to away games where he seemed to be taking on the opposition single handed. He had unbelievable skills, but even though he was always a target for cloggers he rarely missed a game through injury.

Honourable mentions for a few who ran Tommy close: George Hudson, my first city hero. Ian Gibson, Ian Wallace and Bill Glazier. As others have said, it's a pity younger supporters never had the chance to see them, and so little footage exists from those times.

Tomh111

When I was 5 or 6 it was Trond Solvedt because he had a cool name.

Then became Magnus Hedman because I started playing in goal.

It then became both Westwood and Gunnarson. I think they were everyones favourites of that period though?

I liked Cyrus Christie as well and always look out for how he is doing still.

Ps. I dont have a thing for Scandinavian blokes, I swear.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

While he was before my time, Tommy Hutchison used to have a job as sports development officer at the council I worked for. He used to play in the weekly, lunch time 5 asides! Alas, I wasn’t invited to play until after he’d left. Apparently he could no longer run but you weren’t getting the ball off him!
Played in a testimonial I think it was well int his 50s some of the other players in their 30s clapped him he was a truly special player

Irish Sky Blue

Played in a testimonial I think it was well int his 50s some of the other players in their 30s clapped him he was a truly special player
That was Michael Ginn's testimonial. Mickey Quinn also 'played' in that and was the size of a barrage balloon, while Hutch a generation older, wouldn't have been much above his playing weight.
Hutch was subbed at one point and as it was going to be his last appearance at Highfield Road he knelt down as he was leaving the pitch and kissed the turf. A lovely gesture of affection for the club from a great player.
The two of my four boys who love football and who love City were there that night. It was great for them to see the player who I raved about and who, even at 55 had magic in his boots.

Legia Sky Blue

That was Michael Ginn's testimonial. Mickey Quinn also 'played' in that and was the size of a barrage balloon, while Hutch a generation older, wouldn't have been much above his playing weight.
Hutch was subbed at one point and as it was going to be his last appearance at Highfield Road he knelt down as he was leaving the pitch and kissed the turf. A lovely gesture of affection for the club from a great player.
The two of my four boys who love football and who love City were there that night. It was great for them to see the player who I raved about and who, even at 55 had magic in his boots.

All the players that played with him commented how good he was even though he was 10+ years older than all of them. When I lived in Nottingham in 1989, when he was in his 40's I went to see Swansea play at Notts County just to see him play one last time. The weather was terrible and the pitch atrocious, but he played in midfield and had instant control of the ball with either foot and had so much more time on the ball compared to the headless chickens running around him. He was head and shoulders better than anyone else playing that night.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I was there too having never seen him play and even though it was a testimonial as one of the older players on the day you could clearly see the ability he had even then. One of my wishes is that I could've watched that in his prime. I remember Sumo missing an absolute sitter and doing press-ups as a punishment.

CCFColi

Big Cyrille was my first fav player as a kid and then Dion Dublin, with an honorary mention of Peter Ndlovu. Loving Dani at the mo, just hope we can hold on to him for another year or two.

oscillatewildly

I was there too having never seen him play and even though it was a testimonial as one of the older players on the day you could clearly see the ability he had even then. One of my wishes is that I could've watched that in his prime. I remember Sumo missing an absolute sitter and doing press-ups as a punishment.
I was at that testimonial too. I remember him standing on the touchline as it joins the halfway line (Main stand side) He called for the ball off the keeper (was it Oggy? Can't remember) To be fair, the throw was perfect and TH controlled it effortlessly as it landed on his foot. He then 'set off' on one of the slowest runs down the wing I think I've ever witnessed!
My first game was the last of the season 1974/75. We lost 0-2 to M'boro. Souness, Bobby Murdoch and a (then) significantly hirsute David Armstrong for them. Just (close to leaving) Dennis Mortimer and Tommy Hutch for us in an otherwise quite bland team.
Stood on the kop with Dad, he was keen to make sure I recognised the ability of our masterly left winger. "Watch this fella, watch this fella", I remember Dad saying as a simple pass was played out to Hutch. Who then unfathomably mis-controlled and allowed the ball to go out of play.
I did briefly wonder what all the fuss was about but glad to say over the next few seasons I witnessed enough for that question to be answered!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Anyone remember Roy Barry? Not a particular favourite of mine, but a good solid defender. Don't seem to see his name mentioned in these threads.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Just picking up on the Tommy Hutchison memories... he also ran a small sports shop in the row of shops in Everdon Road, Holbrooks. My ex missus' family lived a few yards away and we'd often walk past and give him the thumbs up through the window!

NortonSkyBlue

Tough solid defender bought from Dunfermiline. Sure he had a nasty injury while playing for us ? I recall he got stuck in and a no frills player.
March 70 v Sheffield Wednesday he went into a tackle with Tommy Craig over by the disabled section and came out with a compound fracture. Roy Barry was never the same upon his return but was still a good defender, beforehand he was special.

Tomh111

When I was 5 or 6 it was Trond Solvedt because he had a cool name.

Then became Magnus Hedman because I started playing in goal.

It then became both Westwood and Gunnarson. I think they were everyones favourites of that period though?

I liked Cyrus Christie as well and always look out for how he is doing still.

Ps. I dont have a thing for Scandinavian blokes, I swear.

ABSOLUTELY CREAMING MYSELF OVER LEO OSTIGARD NGL

Johhny Blue

Ian Gibson, for all the obvious reasons.
But before that, George Curtis - someone who embodied the very spirit of Coventry City, and would run through a brick wall for Jimmy Hill if he said so.
George is still the man, but memories of Gibbo's magic still run deep.
Big George didn’t need Jimmy Hill to ask him to run through a brick wall.
That’s just what he did for fun.

fernandopartridge

Peter Ndlovu for me. He was the first player I ever really idolised as a kid. Also, my first ever kits were the sky blue pony kit and the purple and yellow away kit. So this is my favourite ever away kit and player all rolled in to one
a9c77dd2d2a05fc1ecdfbd2486f7a5ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I too loved Nuddy, such an exciting player. Had a few injuries towards the end and for some reason Strachan didn't rate him

Legia Sky Blue

Hutchison had increible skill on the ball but somehow seemed to go haywire in front of goal

Yes, Hutch wasn't the greatest goalscorer, but when he did score they were often special. Remember him scoring a cracking 30 yarder against Man U. Not read it myself, but I believe in Nick Hornby's fever pitch book he talks about Hutch's goal at Highbury where he basically dribbled past every Arsenal player (some of them twice) before scoring. Of course there was the Bristol game too :)

bringbackrattles

Yes, Hutch wasn't the greatest goalscorer, but when he did score they were often special. Remember him scoring a cracking 30 yarder against Man U. Not read it myself, but I believe in Nick Hornby's fever pitch book he talks about Hutch's goal at Highbury where he basically dribbled past every Arsenal player (some of them twice) before scoring. Of course there was the Bristol game too :)
Obviously not an Arsenal fan but I've read Fever Pitch; and it is a brilliant read. I think it's rated as one of the best ever football books. Read it some years back and Hutch's goal is featured, if I recall he has a sarcastic dig at our club in a chapter ? Snobby Arsenal fan bit up himself ! 😣

Terry_dactyl

Obviously not an Arsenal fan but I've read Fever Pitch; and it is a brilliant read. I think it's rated as one of the best ever football books. Read it some years back and Hutch's goal is featured, if I recall he has a sarcastic dig at our club in a chapter ? Snobby Arsenal fan bit up himself ! 😣
I read it years and years ago...can’t say I remember anything about us or Hutchison but do remember it being a great read.
For some reason the chapter I most remember was about Gus Caeser, who I am sure I saw play at HR. Helps me realise just how good footballers really must be compared to the average fan, when we’re giving them grief for being shite...and the psychological aspects of playing in front of big crowds etc.

Makes me think a bit about abuse players get. Apart from Julian Darby who really was shite.

Users who are viewing this thread