Fickle Fans (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

We finished 6th in 1969/70 season which is why we played in Europe (Fairs Cup) the season after.

You say we got to the top division and did nothing, yet managed to have one of the longest consecutive runs there. Our fans never appreciated how lucky we were to survive year on year in the top flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Sorry yes 6th not 7th.

What has been our average league position over those 34 years.

Like I say a couple of blips of success in a third of a century.

Coventry owners don't appreciate the fans they potentially have at their disposal

Grendel

Sorry yes 6th not 7th.

What has been our average league position over those 34 years.

Like I say a couple of blips of success in a third of a century.

Coventry owners don't appreciate the fans they potentially have at their disposal

All but a handful of clubs would have craved for a blip of 34 years in the top flight.

Grendel

dongonzalos

How can I? The series of stats presented are meaningless and that one question answered will prove it.

If you are going to try and prove anything you need to look at similar clubs with similar crowd potential over a very small time period who have experienced similar fortunes.

I would suggest you look at;

Southampton
Norwich
Forest
Man city (sort of relevant)
Leicester
Coventry
Two Sheffield clubs

Look at the season before relegation, look at the relegation season and the first season post relegation abd see what the deviation is.

I don't know the answer perhaps Ron will tell us.

The clubs u want to compare us too

In our 34 years what have they had?

Spionkop

Don, don't think you can compare the atrocious owners we have had in the past ten years or so with the likes of Derrick and Peter Robbins, John Poynton and the like.
The attendances as the 1970s turned into the 1980s onwards were pretty pathetic for a city our size. The figures speak for themselves.
For once I agree with Stupot.
There are always Fernando's variables always for sure.
One thing, football is overpriced. So many people nowadays working at McJobs, football is often out of reach.
It always annoys me when you hear an ill informed football pundit describe Hull or WBA and the like as an established Premier club. Two, three years in the division. As Stupot says, try 34 years.
It isn't a popular theory but if more fans had turned up we'd never have heard of Sisu.

dongonzalos

Don, don't think you can compare the atrocious owners we have had in the past ten years or so with the likes of Derrick and Peter Robbins, John Poynton and the like.
The attendances as the 1970s turned into the 1980s onwards were pretty pathetic for a city our size. The figures speak for themselves.
For once I agree with Stupot.
There are always Fernando's variables always for sure.
One thing, football is overpriced. So many people nowadays working at McJobs, football is often out of reach.
It always annoys me when you hear an ill informed football pundit describe Hull or WBA and the like as an established Premier club. Two, three years in the division. As Stupot says, try 34 years.
It isn't a popular theory but if more fans had turned up we'd never have heard of Sisu.

I can only compare our current owners with the Venky's
But ours are slightly better in my own opinion as they are actually looking out for themselves.

However that does not change the fact that since the 60's we have had three blips of success whilst flat lining, then a gradual decline over last decade or so.

I do think our fan base is awesome considering this. I am proud of Cov Fans

Last edited:

shmmeee

We finished 6th in 1969/70 season which is why we played in Europe (Fairs Cup) the season after.

You say we got to the top division and did nothing, yet managed to have one of the longest consecutive runs there. Our fans never appreciated how lucky we were to survive year on year in the top flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

It's irrelevant. Success is relative.

Think of it this way, there's two variables to determine the crowd: A base given by the league we're in (roughly: 10k in L1, 15k in Champ, 20k in Prem) then another amount depending on how well we're doing in that league. The fluctuations come from that second part. Doesn't matter what division you're in it's about how entertaining (and usually that means successful) the team is in that division.

That's why it was so stupid to waste this year and last year on political crap instead of focussing on the football. A promotion season would bring fans out of the woodwork. We need it.

I'll say it again: Coventry people aren't special. All football fans would've reacted the same way ours have. The reason you can't prove this is no other team has had comparable form over the years.

stupot07

It's irrelevant. Success is relative.

Think of it this way, there's two variables to determine the crowd: A base given by the league we're in (roughly: 10k in L1, 15k in Champ, 20k in Prem) then another amount depending on how well we're doing in that league. The fluctuations come from that second part. Doesn't matter what division you're in it's about how entertaining (and usually that means successful) the team is in that division.

That's why it was so stupid to waste this year and last year on political crap instead of focussing on the football. A promotion season would bring fans out of the woodwork. We need it.

I'll say it again: Coventry people aren't special. All football fans would've reacted the same way ours have. The reason you can't prove this is no other team has had comparable form over the years.

I agree there are lots of variables that influence attendances. If we're saying Coventry fans aren't special. That the norm is 10k L1, 15k championship, 20k PL.

Then surely we're not as big a club as some believe, and that really we're an averagely sizes 2nd tier side not the sleeping giants/PL club that some believe us to be?

Interestingly you graph does show the new stadium effect and that attendances dropping back to pre-Ricoh levels (ie. our standard 2nd tier attendance).

Last edited:

shmmeee

I agree there are lots of variables that influence attendances. If we're saying Coventry fans aren't special. That the norm is 10k L1, 15k championship, 20k PL.

Then surely we're not as big a club as some believe, and that really we're an averagely sizes 2nd tier side not the sleeping giants/PL club that some believe us to be?

Interestingly you graph does show the new stadium effect and that attendances dropping back to pre-Ricoh levels (ie. our standard 2nd tier attendance).

Oh yeah. Of course you've got to look at the overall average attendances (my first post in this thread) to get a wider picture.

But why are we not a big club with a 20k crowd? (that's a base by the way, the lowest it should go).

It puts us in this area:

Average Prem attendances said:

Bottom half of Prem, top half of Championship is where I'd put us (as I expect most would)

Users who are viewing this thread