Fighting at HT (1 Viewer)

oucho

I don't want to break up this love-in, but "scowering"? Anyone remember Call My Bluff?

Was that the one with Lionel Blair?

Bova

You tried to blame them more than once for people's behaviour at mk Dons on that thread. (Which I quoted).

You also tried to justify it to say that it had happened at other games but nobody has mentioned it and the other crap you came out with.

I haven't avoided anything, I gave you quotes. It's simple enough bovv.

I was the one who called them gobshites throwing bottles, you were the one defending the behaviour.
Oi! Leave me out of it

The Great Eastern

It was hosted by Robert Robinson (also 1st host of Points of View) and Frank Muir was captain on the one side. Other captain was an old bloke with a stammer. Was a mildly amusing programme rather than an hugely entertaining one.
Edit. Stammering guy was Patrick Campbell

Last edited:

Astute

This thread is so unfair.

I must miss the away games where things happen as I never see anything. But it sounds like it happens all the time. If it was as bad as this thread sounds I would never take my little boy. Wherever he goes he gets well looked after by our supporters. And it is always well received when he tells people off for swearing. When he isn't with me I am normally in the middle of everything having a good time.

So it is either a rare occasion or only happens when I can't get to a game. It has been years since I have had to tell someone to calm down or shut the fook up.

And considering how many we normally take to away games I consider us to be well behaved. Especially after you add alcohol into the mix.

oucho

This thread is so unfair.

I must miss the away games where things happen as I never see anything. But it sounds like it happens all the time.

To a point, I agree. I went to 15 away games last year but cannot remember seeing any fighting amongst fans. That's not to say our fans can be poorly behaved as has been mentioned but I certainly didn't see scraps every week.

Captain Dart

Less of your fadding please.
callmybluff.jpg

Qwerty70

At the risk of keeping this wonderful debate going, away games genuinely feel a lot different then they did 3-4 years ago and not in the good way. I don't now whether that's just coincidence for the 10 or so away games I manage to get to a season but it just feels more standard these days to see Cov fans infighting and a larger proportion of them acting the twat.

Completely agree with this. I’ve done approx ten away games per season for last 30 years and absolutely loved following us around the country. The last two seasons I have become embarrassed to associate myself with some of our fans, fighting between ourselves at FGR & Cheltenham (same group involved in best). The stag do on the lash all day experiences at MK & Oxford.
Maybe it because numbers are smaller that I can now hear the racism, homophobia and general moronic abuse of opposition players, fans and any poor sole who walks across the front of the area.
Can’t even blame the kids as the vile racist at FGR was older than me and according to my kids I’m well old!
I enjoy a beer at away games but clearly some our fans have an excessive amount and feel this provides them the right to be behave in a certain way.
Posting on here won’t change anything but for those that think we have the best fans in the county - we don’t - we did once but that time has gone.
I’m going tonight and sort of looking forward to it but no where near as much as I once did.

Sick Boy

I used to follow us away in the Championship over the previous decade and do agree that things seem to have got worse and worse. I don't think it's confined to us though and would image it's an issue across football/society as a whole.

Perhaps the smaller away stands make us more aware of them?

It's important to remember that these lot are very much a minority and for every one of them there are 10 decent fans.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Completely agree with this. I’ve done approx ten away games per season for last 30 years and absolutely loved following us around the country. The last two seasons I have become embarrassed to associate myself with some of our fans, fighting between ourselves at FGR & Cheltenham (same group involved in best). The stag do on the lash all day experiences at MK & Oxford.
Maybe it because numbers are smaller that I can now hear the racism, homophobia and general moronic abuse of opposition players, fans and any poor sole who walks across the front of the area.
Can’t even blame the kids as the vile racist at FGR was older than me and according to my kids I’m well old!
I enjoy a beer at away games but clearly some our fans have an excessive amount and feel this provides them the right to be behave in a certain way.
Posting on here won’t change anything but for those that think we have the best fans in the county - we don’t - we did once but that time has gone.
I’m going tonight and sort of looking forward to it but no where near as much as I once did.
The smaller/midweek crowds never really seem to have the same 'stag do', 'lad' culture so tonight (fingers crossed) should be completely trouble free. I look back about 6 years to a 2-2 draw at Cardiff, when it felt like there was about 80 of us there and everyone had a row to them self and have to wonder where the crowd of last few years has come from. I don't want to make it sound like it's every game or every fan, because that certainly isn't true, however, it can't be ignored that it's on the rise.

Nick

Administrator
I remember Gillingham away in the cup in 1996. It was cold and windy.

Can't remember any fighting.

pastythegreat

I remember Gillingham away in the cup in 1996. It was cold and windy.

Can't remember any fighting.
I remember going to Plymouth in Jan 96. FA Cup 3 round. Coldest I think I've ever been at a football match. No fighting there. Remeber we were all doing the conga up and down the stand to keep warm.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

oucho

Nothing will ever be as cold as Wycombe away last season.

Agree that you don't see any trouble at midweek games (well, in my experience).

Wycombe away in November 2016, weeknight game, I genuinely lost the feeling in my feet, it was wt and freezing and we were all chilled to the bone. Didn't help that the pre-match pub was serving nearly-undrinkable beer or that Trump had been elected the day before....

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Wycombe away in November 2016, weeknight game, I genuinely lost the feeling in my feet, it was wt and freezing and we were all chilled to the bone. Didn't help that the pre-match pub was serving nearly-undrinkable beer or that Trump had been elected the day before....
I don't wanna do a 'My dad's harder than your dad' here, but it genuinely was -8 at Wycombe last season.

Monners

Having seen any scraps at away games for years - plenty of idiots though which can spoil the day out to a point.

Liquid Gold

I think social media (and here) has a part to play where 10 years ago there might have been some trouble in one corner of an away stand you wouldn't hear of it but now it's straight up for everybody to discuss. Not saying there aren't problems but still think the vast majority of our fans are great, my other half commented the other day how she always feels safe and looked after at city games and she's not a Cov kid so has no reason to sweep things under the carpet.

It's not just us either. Bristol City and Rovers are always kicking off about something or other and the city is on lockdown if they play each other. The trouble against Luton at the Ricoh last season was caused by one Luton meathead coming out of the away end swinging punches and teenagers walking by keeping themselves to themselves.

clint van damme

HR against Sheff Wed for me, the game where that wanker Megson did Dean Emerson.
I was sat in the West end and the snow blowing straight in at us.
Was sat covered in about 3 inches of snow.

SlowerThanPlatt

I remember a game against Oldham first season L1 in January which was absolutely freezing. We won 2-1 James Bailey scored a 90th minute winner

Also a game against Norwich 2010 I think

oucho

I don't wanna do a 'My dad's harder than your dad' here, but it genuinely was -8 at Wycombe last season.
I have definitely been to games where the CCFC performance has been so poor, or the game generally has been so dire, that it made the temperature feel colder than it actually was!

rob9872

My daughter still talks of this one. She was crying and I felt people were judging me for my inappropriate parenting skills, dragging her along to that (on a school night too!). Summer holidays and warm weather though, she'll be fine tonight :)

vow

Arlesey at Ricoh 2nd round FA cup, Nov 2012, brass monkey's, wore my wifes tights ffs!
Memorable due to Callum Ball actually scoring.

Users who are viewing this thread