Film Thread 2015 (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I watched the start of that film and turned it off with the silly scene at the start.

His early films were good, and I liked the one about the remote control that was more serious.

Otis

Only film I could tolerate with Sandler in, was Happy Gilmore. I really cannot abide his 'comedy', it's so diluted and piss-weak.

For someone so limited talent-wise, he's bloody loaded. I mean seriously loaded, like almost at a billionaire level.
Have to say I don't think I have ever seen a Adam Sandler film and I have only seen snippets here and there. Can't see any comedy filtering through at all myself. Maybe I will have to watch one of his older movies.

Is it like the Woody Allen quip? 'I like your films, especially the older funny ones.' Goes something like that.

mechaishida

Have to say I don't think I have ever seen a Adam Sandler film and I have only seen snippets here and there. Can't see any comedy filtering through at all myself. Maybe I will have to watch one of his older movies.

Is it like the Woody Allen quip? 'I like your films, especially the older funny ones.' Goes something like that.

Nyeees, Woody Allen...

...anyway, with Sandler it applies to one movie, the aforementioned Happy Gilmore, which is probably the only film I'll ever watch with him in it. He's never really 'done it' for me, his movies are just cheap-laugh vehicles. And as for his more 'serious' films...lordy.

bringbackrattles

I don't think there is a funny American comedy actor around to be honest,can't think of one that makes me laugh at all. I have to watch W.C.Field films or Laurel and Hardy to have a really good laugh,yes I know one half of Laurel and Hardy was an Englishman,but you know what I mean !

mechaishida

I don't think there is a funny American comedy actor around to be honest,can't think of one that makes me laugh at all. I have to watch W.C.Field films or Laurel and Hardy to have a really good laugh,yes I know one half of Laurel and Hardy was an Englishman,but you know what I mean !

The comedy writers these days are pretty hideous at their jobs, to be fair. Ever since the comedy romance genre sprang up, mainstream cinema and studios seem to have trouble separating comedy from rom-com' to be honest.

Some American stand-ups are funny, but Americans haven't produced a decent comedy for years.

Pipehitterz

When was he ever a hit? ;)

Not sure I can remember that far back.

amusing at times, when in the right mood to watch him,
but to be really impressed by him, watch reign over me, for an oscar worthy, non comedic turn as i depressed loner.

Pipehitterz

revenant
warning, oscar movie

made to win an oscar, moody and violent, some good acting too
leo should win his first, and yeah he's good, but ive seen him better IMO

mechaishida

Solace, starring Anthony Hopkins and the quite delicious Abbie Cornish.

Didn't have much hope for this one, it seemed too cliche, but I recommend it to everyone; it's a thriller bordering on sci-fi at times. I won't say too much about the plot, 'cos it's a pleasant surprise.

Overall, I'd give it a rating of 87%. Not a classic, not a groundbreaker, just a very well-directed/acted film that isn't predictable.

philster11

revenant
warning, oscar movie

made to win an oscar, moody and violent, some good acting too
leo should win his first, and yeah he's good, but ive seen him better IMO

Leo won't win an oscar for tht not even in his top 5 performances and he didn't get one for any of the others.

Pipehitterz

Leo won't win an oscar for tht not even in his top 5 performances and he didn't get one for any of the others.
exactly my thinkinh

but the other 5 perfomances were not in minus 15 degree snow and leaving the actors close to death, i think hes nailed on

dutchman

Just watched The Last Witch Hunter, it's the kind of film you expect Nicholas Cage to be playing the lead in rather than Vin Diesel. I got the impression it was shot for the new 4K UHD Blu-ray release because apart from the visual effects it had very little else to commend it. The sound mix was all over the place too.

Otis

Just watched Spectre and really enjoyed it.

Only thing I didn't like was the film's colour palette. I know they were going for brooding and dark, but with Bond you expect some vibrancy. Skyfall had a much better look about it.

Thought it looked a little dull and washed out at times.

Best baddie for ages though and I liked the pace and use of characters. Had a bit of everything you expect from a Bond movie.

Craig's last outing though I believe. Think he's done an excellent job.

skybluejelly

Just watched deadpool I must admit I don't get all the hype about it ... It seems to be trying to hard to be edgy ... It's watchable but not my cup of tea

Otis

Each and everyone to their own. I think that was the idea, to meld lots of Bond aspects into one.

I really liked it.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Otis

I couldn't watch that trailer past 'the best opening Bond scene ever' or whatever they said it was. I thought the opening scene was just okay.

I know it has got a mixed response. Some love it and some hate it. I'm in the love it camp.

Otis

Also, just need to add, I am probably not like most Bond fans anyway. I find all car chase scenes laborious and I don't care for fight scenes much either. Probably why the helicopter scene didn't do much for me at all.

I just like the style and the panache of Bond, the set pieces and the sophistication and the humour and the coolness of it all. I loved the 'Britishness' of it and the fact that it has always been a part of my life and always been there as I've grown up.

dutchman

Watched My Way (Mai wei, 2011) last night. Better late than never. A Korean WW2 movie with Hollywood production values and special effects. Based very loosely on the real-life story of Yang Gyeong-jong, a Korean who was press-ganged into the Japanese Army and forced to fight against the Russians.

If this YouTube clip doesn't make you want to watch it, nothing will:

[video=youtube;BvrRkza7C_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvrRkza7C_w[/video]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread