Film Thread 2015 (2 Viewers)

Covstu

The Martian was a bit...meh. Not bad, but the hype didn't match what I saw. Interstellar, with it's brilliantly freestyling science was so much more superior.

Also, I had a look at Session 9 a few nights ago, a thriller/horror from 2001 that was on Putlocker. To say it was original is an understatement; it's low budget, despite David Caruso being in, however there's something compelling about it. Gotta watch it to see what I mean.

I tend to try and look for quality Indie films or low-key belters these days, all the hype and shite that comes with modern movie releases just annoys me.

Another good one is Rampage (2009), not for it's blood-drenched plot, but what the movie tells you is the cause of the plot. Brilliant film.
Strangely I really enjoyed the Martian, thought it was predictable but we'll put together.

Otis

Strangely I really enjoyed the Martian, thought it was predictable but we'll put together.
Not strange I don't think Stu. Had an overall critic rating of 93%. Highly praised.

It's a film I very much fancy seeing. Much more my type of sci fi than Star Wars.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I started watching the recruit last night, old film but was really good!

Watched bad education movie, easy to watch silly film with some funny bits

mechaishida

Not strange I don't think Stu. Had an overall critic rating of 93%. Highly praised.

It's a film I very much fancy seeing. Much more my type of sci fi than Star Wars.

Aye, like I said it wasn't bad, it just didn't match the hype. It trundled a lot, and the character didn't seem as fazed at being marooned as he should have been. It was an original approach, and it kept me watching till the end though. I'd have given it 78-80%, myself.

At least it didn't have me choking on vomit like the new Mission Impossible. I genuinely had a nightmare about that film, Hunt was chasing me with his willy out. :eek:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
A DVD screener of Spectre is now available at a well-known harbour on the internet if anyone is interested:

Spectre.2015.DVDScr.XVID.AC3.HQ.Hive-CM8

Watched this last night. Have to say it was the worst Bond film I've ever watched! Storyline far too complicated. Characters were shite. All talking and only 4 or 5 major pieces of action. Really disappointed! :(

Pipehitterz

did the hateful 8 last night

has more of a jackie brown feel rather than a pulp fiction feel
reminded me a of a real old fashioned western, if django was a modern pulp fiction style western, 8 was the opposite

thinking this film was another of quentins failures , in a masses type way, but for the purists, it was quite special
i get the hate from folks that have seen it, its gonna be a marmite film for some

Pipehitterz

Watched this last night. Have to say it was the worst Bond film I've ever watched! Storyline far too complicated. Characters were shite. All talking and only 4 or 5 major pieces of action. Really disappointed! :(

avoided it so far, and ive heard this type of review over and over again, i can seriously think, i will never end up watching it, i mean the last one, skyfall, was gash, and this ones coming over worse

Otis

Well if you don't like it Houch that has to be put right on my must watch list! ;)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm going to be watching Bridge of Spies tonight. Looking forward to it.

bringbackrattles

Has anybody ever watched the Robin Hood film with Russell Crowe playing the lead role ? Plenty of action but spoilt by Crowe's silly accent or accents,as he kept changing it throughout the movie.One scene it was Northern,then slightly Welsh with a touch of Scouse. Hilarious and worth watching just for his talking !

J

Jack Griffin

did the hateful 8 last night

has more of a jackie brown feel rather than a pulp fiction feel
reminded me a of a real old fashioned western, if django was a modern pulp fiction style western, 8 was the opposite

thinking this film was another of quentins failures , in a masses type way, but for the purists, it was quite special
i get the hate from folks that have seen it, its gonna be a marmite film for some

It always racks me off when there is an ageing cast in Westerns, the average life expectancy out West was mid 30's, most people did not live beyond 45, disease was rife, medical treatment patchy, dentistry involved pulling bad teeth,sanitation almost non existent. It's simply glamorising historical reality to have a bunch of actors who are in 50's & 60's with perfect teeth playing Cowboys.

Last edited by a moderator:

dutchman

Has anybody ever watched the Robin Hood film with Russell Crowe playing the lead role ? Plenty of action but spoilt by Crowe's silly accent or accents,as he kept changing it throughout the movie.One scene it was Northern,then slightly Welsh with a touch of Scouse. Hilarious and worth watching just for his talking !

Indeed, the man of a thousand accents.

I actually fell off the sofa laughing when the French invaded in WW2 landing craft and were met by kids riding shetland ponies. I half-expected to see Daleks rolling off the landing craft and Spitfires flying overhead as well.

In fairness though, it still wasn't as far-fetched as Ridley Scott's next effort, Prometheus.

skybluejelly

Watched .. Revenant and the heart of the sea ,, both worth a watch and both based on true stories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mechaishida

May we discuss crap series' on this thread too?

I dare any of you to watch 'Agent X', a new series with Sharon Stone in it. Not gonna spoil it with details, you can have the same recoil-in-cringeworthyness that I had.

Nick

Administrator
Started watching the Martian last night but fell asleep, it was good so will watch the end tonight!

Marty

I enjoyed the hateful 8. Started slowly but it got good quite quick. Reminded me so much of Djanjo.

8/10.

Pipehitterz

bridge of spies, 8/10 excellent , tom hanks does it again

the gift, 5/10 expected a lot more, also ran thriller that has no real thrills, best avoided

Pipehitterz

the big short 8/10 loved it, oscars written all over it, i reckon best picture award for sure
the acting is on point too, but its not for everyone, very strange style of film

skybluejelly

watched rise of the foot soldier 2... terrible film..i cant believe I watched it too the end ..2/10 and that's being generous

bringbackrattles

There doesn't seem to be any great movies around for a while I reckon,in fact I watched Gladiator the other night for the umpteenth time and still enjoyed it. The Godfather is next I feel to watch, as it has to be pure genius and not just the first one ?

skybluejelly

Just watched the ridiculous six ... I know Adam sandler is hit or miss but this is a huge miss .. It is dreadful another 2/10

Otis

Watched Amy last night.

Just reminded me how much I dislike the press and the paparazzi in particular.

Heartless, uncaring, without moral and it's just organised stalking.

I don't buy any daily papers or the sort of magazines that cover celebrities and celeb behaviour etc.

Unfortunately the paparazzi is fed and perpetuated by the people who buy these rags and those who seem obsessed by famous people's lives.

Can't say I have ever been bothered or interested in what any famous people are doing, or who they are going out with or who they are married to.

Seems clear Any Winehouse was on a path to self-destruction, what with the wrong choice of life-partner who was a heavy user, management who seemingly just wanted to fulfil contracts above all else and a father who at times didn't help try and stop it at all.

I was never a fan of Winehouse, but did think the song Back to Black was absolutely fantastic and I also liked Rehab too, but the jazzy stuff just wasn't for me, but the girl obviously had so much talent and a wonderful voice.

Very good film and I believe a firm favourite to win big at the awards season.

Last edited:

mechaishida

When was he ever a hit? ;)

Not sure I can remember that far back.

Only film I could tolerate with Sandler in, was Happy Gilmore. I really cannot abide his 'comedy', it's so diluted and piss-weak.

For someone so limited talent-wise, he's bloody loaded. I mean seriously loaded, like almost at a billionaire level.

Users who are viewing this thread