First real/fake grass being put down at Ricoh (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

I think they're just implying that this is the first bit of grass this time around

I think he knows that and is pointing out that it's ridiculous that it was installed before and taken out, only to be put back in.

SkyBlueScottie

Didnt one of the concerts lead to the pitch being relaid? It was probably at that point somebody made a choice to use a "normal" pitch, which was ok at that point as we obviously had a decent team of groundsmen.

Sbarcher

Oxford Utd are also having a new Xtragrass pitch which is some way behind our laying work. Surely it will not be possible to play at the Kassam on 1st August?

Skyblueweeman

Excuse the lack of horticulturism in me but from what I'm seeing/reading, we've laid down some synthetic stuff, now we're growing to put some grass seed on top? How the hell does that work?!

Surely there's a synthetic barrier between the surface and the soil...am I missing something here?

Also, I assume this is all ok with the League?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think the artificial stuff is on a fine mesh that allows the real grass to grow through it sbw. That way the mesh gets anchored to the soil but there is some movement allowed(not the divots we saw last year) that resets its self. The movement is important to prevent injury. The mesh then helps the integrity of the real grass. or something like that

there is a percentage of artificial allowed by the FL something like 70% real 30% artificial - not sure of the figures

Skyblueweeman

I think the artificial stuff is on a fine mesh that allows the real grass to grow through it sbw. That way the mesh gets anchored to the soil but there is some movement allowed(not the divots we saw last year) that resets its self. The movement is important to prevent injury. The mesh then helps the integrity of the real grass. or something like that

there is a percentage of artificial allowed by the FL something like 70% real 30% artificial - not sure of the figures

I see, cheers OSB.

Raggs

The people placing the pitch have also been retained to maintain it, so you'd hope they'd not make such mistakes, they were also in charge of the temporary pitch that was laid a few months ago (which actually held up surprisingly well towards the end).

James Smith

This is the stuff that was laid when they built the Ricoh. It's not a "first".

http://www.xtragrass-hybrid-turf.com/applications/

I thought that was the case too, although I wasn't sure when they had changed it. The stuff they have/had at the Higgs Centre I think for the indoor pitches was really neat. Doesn't give you a burn if you slide on it unlike normal astroturf at least that's what they said.

armybike

@greenfieldsport - "@RicohArena is looking great @WaspsRugby @Coventry_City brightening up our Monday morning! #XtraGrass #GreenFields"

attachment.php

Attachments

• CJN6OPaWsAEIGWS.jpg
    CJN6OPaWsAEIGWS.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 132

skybluepm2

Makes me want the 1st game of the season to hurry up! Luscious turf, good crowd, new team (hopefully), sunshine, new shirt and beers

Glad we get to play on it 1st too!

Bob Latchford

Looking Good .

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread