First thing I'd do as new manager... (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

Hand the players a sheet of paper. Ask each one to pick the team for the next match.
Gather them up and see from that who are among the 'in crowd' the 'hated guys' and who overwhelmingly picks any particular player.
We might get to the route of some problems that way.

skyblueman

First thing I'd do is train them 'til they puked... then train them some more.... don't look fit enough to me

Last edited:

covcity4life

Hand the players a sheet of paper. Ask each one to pick the team for the next match.
Gather them up and see from that who are among the 'in crowd' the 'hated guys' and who overwhelmingly picks any particular player.
We might get to the route of some problems that way.

what makes you assume they will pick their pals?

Otis

First thing I would do is to find out who has got fire in their bellies and a bit of spirit and desire about them.

After deducing that that is probably only about 4 players at the club I would keep them and fook the rest of them off.

scroobiustom

First thing I'd do....

teach Murphy how to catch
the defensive to tackle
the midfield to pass
the forwards to shot

after which i'd take a gun up to the boardroom and take the safety catch off

ccfcway

"who here is happy not to take a wage this week if we lose our next match , I will start, As the new manager, I will not take my 1st weeks wages if we lose."

Anyone that doesnt put their hands up clearly doesnt have the fight to think we could get something out a that game, in which case they are not for this club !

Would certainly get to see who is up for it and who just cant be bothered !

RichieGunns

First of all id review videos of all the games played this season and in pre-season. I'd pinpoint all the major issues with the present sqaud and bring in loan signings to cover or replace players in those specific areas aka pacey wingers, a striker with a good aim and definate goal threat and another goalkeeper...(those are of coure my thoughts on where we need to improve in this current squad)...and then id take a look at the players themselves on the training pitch and maybe over the course of 2 or 3 games. Once i'd had long enough to form an opinion, then id start culling those that don't show the drive and bring in the loan players i'd brought. I'd then deliver and ultimatum to those players id relegated from the first team which would be "Either you buck up your ideas or you leave in January" and then id see how things went from there :)

This is just my opinion on how id do it...don't know whether the new manager will think the same way though :/

rob9872

First thing I would do is watch all of the videos, watch the training and see how I might improve on any particular area. Observing quietly to begin.

There is little buget and limited ability so I think I would be assessing how I can get the same group of players to be more organised, demonstrate togetherness, concentration and desire. If I can add a few training methods or something tactical that may make a difference maybe a tweak in the personnel but it can only realistically be an evolutionary rather than a revolutionary change

rob9872

or as rich said ^ I was typing as response must have came through

Colonel Mustard

The new manager isn't likely to have a lot of financial help, so he'd be better off trying to unite the current rabble. Perhaps a squad meeting with a frank exchange concerning what has gone wrong to date. Start the process of drilling in a sense of collective responsibility rather than creating divisions.

That, and a Snickers and cup of coffee.

I like the fabled Eric Black thing, where he allegedly walked in as caretaker and basically told em to get into lines: this line if you want to play for Coventry City, this line if you don't. If i remember rightly, onlly Gary Breen joined the "I Don't" line...

My memory might be hazy on that mind!

RichieGunns

The new manager isn't likely to have a lot of financial help, so he'd be better off trying to unite the current rabble. Perhaps a squad meeting with a frank exchange concerning what has gone wrong to date. Start the process of drilling in a sense of collective responsibility rather than creating divisions.

That, and a Snickers and cup of coffee.

I know we can't always trust Fisher and Waggot but they have said in both the papers and online that the new manager will be given funds to sign players in on loan with a view to perminant contracts in January. I think thats where McGoldrick stands right now. He could get a perminent move if he plays his cards right and any loan players would be given the same option (assuming the clubs they come from aren't interested in keeping them).

As for current loan signings, I'd personally send Ball back to Derby but keep Brown. Now why keep Brown you ask? Because he has come from Man United and we really don't want to piss them off. We wanna keep them in our good books as they may be more inclined to loan us players in the future and id have to say thats not a bad thing (assuming they can do a job like Norwood did). But as for Ball im not that bothered about keeping Derby shtum and to be honest, with the arrival of McGoldrick, Ball hasn't figured that much recently and if Mcgoldrick can keep scoring, he'll continue to get starts in the team and Ball will end up either on the bench or not on it at all. And while i like Cody, Elliot is definately the player i would put up front with McGoldrick to start. His work rate is monumental and he has turned out to be a very good signing. If he's not trying to score, he's running all over the pitch trying to help out his team mates. It's just a pity his team mates don't return the favour!

Macca is all an issue for me. He is a Cov boy but lacks to passion you would associate with a homegrown talent like himself. He's 31 but acts like his 38. God Kilbane is 35 and he sometimes make Macca look like a old man compared to him. Now i know the issues surrounding him, that he should be played as a striker rather than a winger. Get some pacey wingers in to replace him and put him up front with Elliot and McGoldrick. I said in another thread that a 4-3-3 formation would suit us a lot better than what we've had up until now. It's a lot more attacking and doesn't rely on the LB and RB to do all the running up the wings. The diamond does work sometimes but i think Thorn used the Diamond because he didn't have the wingers to do anything else and then when he had the chance to bring in wingers, he ended up sticking with the Diamond because he'd got used to it and it was what he knew, which wasn't a lot im afriad.

It's all my own opinion but id like to hear what people have to say on it as well as what they'd do.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think the first thing I would do after rechecking my contract to ensure it is water tight ............. is to sit the whole squad down and explain to them the standards I am setting and expecting on and off the pitch. I would be clear with them that anyone falling below the level i set will be dropped or even moved on. I wouldnt set up tactics etc but I would emphasise and keep emphasising the positives and the need for being a team. I would also make it clear that a professional footballer is expected to have a good lifestyle, to take personal fitness seriously and have good ethics ...... not out on the piss the first chance they get or getting involved in twitter crap. When they play or train they do it with pride, effort and commitment

Would then sit back for a couple of days and assess the squad. Those that dont rise to the level dont play ...........and age is not a deciding factor young or older it is what they can do for the team that matters.

Would give some thought as to captain also

skybluejelly

are you sure some of them can even write..i bet some of them would draw pictures ,then ask for some crayons to colour them in

Marty

Sack the lot of em. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......;)

skybluegod

The manager just needs to get them to play as a team there is no doubt we have quality in this team we have seen glimpses here and there, we need to get a good mentality at the club and the team needs to fight for each other like stevenage do.

oakey

First send vouchers for Specsavers to the officials who denied us 3 goals and 5 points this season so far.
If we had those points, a total of 8 and on the brink of the play-off places, there'd be no crisis.

Paxman II

...while we are about it:

I'd get rid of the dated, tired 'Sky Blues'. Change the kit, get rid of all that is Sky Blue, 60's invented nonsense from an era that belonged to a legend but is no longer relevent and is plain weak, daft and corny sounding to say the least.
Remove the darn framed photo's of 1887 from the dressing rooms and hallways and dump the whole 1987 thing and move on! Until we do all of this there will be no new begining.

This isn't about being unsympathetic to the past but it is the past. 1987 was a long time ago. There are generations who never saw any of that.
Forget we were in the Premeiership, that was 12 years ago. Accept where we are and use it as a springboard to improve and set new targets and expectations as a 'bigger' club in the lower leagues and see where we go from there.

I alluded to this last year when we were looking like relegation fodder and I suggested it should be seen as a positive and a time to 're-invent' this football club from the ground up. It's what Jimmy did all those years ago. He went on to take us up through the leagues on a wave of optimism and new found beleif.

We need to repeat that feat today. Out with the old and in with the new.

Last edited:

devonrich

I'd get rid of the dated, tired 'Sky Blues'. Change the kit, get rid of all that is Sky Blue, 60's invented nonsense from an era that belonged to a legend but is no longer relevent and is plain weak, daft and corny sounding to say the least.
Remove the darn framed photo's of 1887 from the dressing rooms and hallways and dump the whole 1987 thing and move on! Until we do all of this there will be no new begining.

This isn't about being unsympathetic to the past but it is the past. 1987 was a long time ago. There are generations who never saw any of that.
Forget we were in the Premeiership, that was 12 years ago. Accept where we are and use it as a springboard to improve and set new targets and expectations as a 'bigger' club in the lower leagues and see where we go from there.

I alluded to this last year when we were looking like relegation fodder and I suggested it should be seen as a positive and a time to 're-invent' this football club from the ground up. It's what Jimmy did all those years ago. He went on to take us up through the leagues on a wave of optimism and new found beleif.

Bloody hell....really? Take away our sky blue, top badge, 1987 memories and what else is there? May as well rename us leicester reserves while u at it.

Tonylinc

Sorry Pax but that is absolute rubbish. Do you think that Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool start each season as if it was their first with no reference to previous history?

speedie87

Bryan Richardson took down all the old photos etc....... That went well

Gaz

I have read some crap on here in my time, but Paxman you have just stole the crown with that post.

RichieGunns

I wouldn't get rid or our history but at the same time I wouldn't rely on it. Those clubs you've just mentioned will have glittering histories. Ours, you have to admit, is anything but glittery.

We just need a new direction. Have a look at my thread called 'Just Wandering'...

And yeah I know I screwed the spelling up. We've already dealt with that lol

Paxman II

I'm not saying get rid of our history!!!!

It's time for it to take a back seat guys!

As for the Sky Blue? Never liked it but it has served us well. Sadly it's become a reference to the past. It's synonymous with the past so much we as a club have got stuck in the past where the only highlight was 1987. When |jimmy Hill arrived it's exactly what he did! And boy did it revive a flagging club? He brought in a new kit over night, made it Sky Blue and the rest is history. If you think I'm wrong then you must be saying he was wrong way back then too.

We are not covered in historical glory like Man Utd. Get over it and accept where we are and who we are or we will never improve.

Like a house, a boat a business of almost any kind there comes a moment to reburbish and freshen up or you stand still and at worst, go backwards. Guess what? We have been going backwards for a long time.

Just to add....anyone who seriously thinks the pathetic sky blue song on the tannoy each week is not grating on your inner core must enjoy living in the past. Do they still have a 78rpm player?

We've never adapted to the Ricoh because we still live in the past too much. We never embraced it and won't so long as we still persist with this dull monochrome image of the 1960's.

What colour kit shall we have? ;)

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
how about wishy washy pink to go with the powder puff performances of the players ?:whistle::D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread