Match Thread Fleetwood v Coventry Match Thread - Saturday 3rd Sep (4 Viewers)

RegTheDonk

We finished 20th in one season at Highfield road didn't we?

In fairness to the Kid, we probably were doing OKish that season until they wanted a more "modern approach" with Cookie, and it went downhill....but like you G, the vast majority of my years following City have meant worrying if we'll get anything out of the last couple of games. We've nearly always skirted with relegation, I think SISU are just continuing that proud tradition :(

letsallsingtogether

Anyone know how the City supporter who collapsed is?
Hope all is ok.

letsallsingtogether

One was definitely the centre half Wilson went to a championship club, you'd assumed we approached turner before he went to Burton. I'd assume we tried to get Armstrong back too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
So if he hadn't have tried to get these players would be have been criticised for not trying?
Couldn't win ether way could he.
People play football manager and think it is an easy task.
I don't believe anyone can do any good at this club at the present time.
Things need to change but I am not optimistic on that front:(

Terry Gibson's perm

Who were these players and where did they go?

I wish I knew but at a guess Wilson and Clarke. Look at it like this if these were the first choice of players then we are in a bad way scouting wise.

I actually think he has too many players and wastes money on players who are not near the first team the first two that come to mind are Finch and Lawton but there are others.

Hobo

It's as if other teams haven't played loads of games.

I'm not having that older players wouldn't come here, not after the hunt, ramage and Henderson experiment.

They weren't older (experienced) players, they were retired.

lord_garrincha

dongonzalos

Sacking managers doesn't work we are the greatest living proof of that.
So if anyone should realise it doesn't work it should be us.
He is signing some you talent for the future.
It is a very scaled down version of what we tried to do when SISU first took over.
Unfortunately someone pulled the plug on that idea and decided we have to be self sufficient.
This is the first time we are going back to that idea and signing

Stokes
Turnball
Jones

Getting the likes of
RCC
Stephenson
DKE
Spence
Haybes
Harries

Into the squad.
If we don't go up this season but continue to sign players like that.

If Mowbray is allowed to put his footballing philosophy into both the academy and the team.

That is the only way to go.

We need to have the balls to stick with him and give him another two years

If we have some consistency in playing style players and manger for a few years.

Even on our budget we will excel

Hobo

I think he has wasted time trying to sign players that were unlikely to come and has then missed more realistic targets as they gave gone elsewhere

Who were the realistic ones he missed then?

Terry Gibson's perm

Who were the realistic ones he missed then?

I think gives it away it's my view, one name to throw in is George Moncur just moved on loan to Peterborough better than anything we gave in midfield, as j have said later on if we haven't missed any and this lot were first choice then maybe something is wrong in the scouting.

Paxman II

So i can't get to games hardly anymore due to work but today I saw them for the first time. I was impressed for nearly 60 minutes watching us play the ball around, even at 1 down we didn't drop our heads and we looked like one of those teams that was about to step it up a gear at any moment. Fleetwood got a fortunate break away after we looked like scoring and Page was hopeless. But you felt we could beat this poor looking side, we needed to want it. That seemed to be be problem...it looked like we didn't want it badly enough.
I think the frustration for Mowbray must be the fact he has injuries to key players and one or two he has brought in are no better or worse than what we have.
Turned out to be a frustrating and disappointing afternoon all round. I think with players back and a bit more fight in them we will start winning but for all the fancy football from the back we play we have yet to make an impression at the net!
Harries is not yet there at this level, Turnball is good, Page totally lacks discipline and Haynes would be a better option. Aghei is still learning and not a team player and Sordell is either not fit or can't be bothered often losing the ball at his feet too easily. The W Brom lad Wright came on and for me showed he was a class above Aghei and Sordell in the time he had...looked really useful. We are missing Fleck and frankly Ricketts should be playing. Steery was average nothing good going on and Stevenson looks to have potential but as with Maddison before him too lightweight.
Overall a competent display of passing ability, looking the better side easily for 55 minutes and if we had an Arma in our side we would have won. Tudgay offers little and looks past his better days.
Still work to be done we need to win one before any rot sets in.

Irish Sky Blue

One was definitely the centre half Wilson went to a championship club, you'd assumed we approached turner before he went to Burton. I'd assume we tried to get Armstrong back too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I work with a relative of Ben Turner. She told me that neither Coventry or Birmingham had approached him this summer.

sbadey

So i can't get to games hardly anymore due to work but today I saw them for the first time. I was impressed for nearly 60 minutes watching us play the ball around, even at 1 down we didn't drop our heads and we looked like one of those teams that was about to step it up a gear at any moment. Fleetwood got a fortunate break away after we looked like scoring and Page was hopeless. But you felt we could beat this poor looking side, we needed to want it. That seemed to be be problem...it looked like we didn't want it badly enough.
I think the frustration for Mowbray must be the fact he has injuries to key players and one or two he has brought in are no better or worse than what we have.
Turned out to be a frustrating and disappointing afternoon all round. I think with players back and a bit more fight in them we will start winning but for all the fancy football from the back we play we have yet to make an impression at the net!
Harries is not yet there at this level, Turnball is good, Page totally lacks discipline and Haynes would be a better option. Aghei is still learning and not a team player and Sordell is either not fit or can't be bothered often losing the ball at his feet too easily. The W Brom lad Wright came on and for me showed he was a class above Aghei and Sordell in the time he had...looked really useful. We are missing Fleck and frankly Ricketts should be playing. Steery was average nothing good going on and Stevenson looks to have potential but as with Maddison before him too lightweight.
Overall a competent display of passing ability, looking the better side easily for 55 minutes and if we had an Arma in our side we would have won. Tudgay offers little and looks past his better days.
Agree with Wright just wish you would have given Bigi a mention as it was one of his better perfomancies, now waiting for AA to help get me and my family home, brand new jeep and it has failed me, such is a sky blue fans luck

Sent from my Versus TouchPad 9 using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

Agree with Wright just wish you would have given Bigi a mention as it was one of his better perfomancies, now waiting for AA to help get me and my family home, brand new jeep and it has failed me, such is a sky blue fans luck

Sent from my Versus TouchPad 9 using Tapatalk
Did Adam Armstrong come to help you?

Hobo

I think gives it away it's my view, one name to throw in is George Moncur just moved on loan to Peterborough better than anything we gave in midfield, as j have said later on if we haven't missed any and this lot were first choice then maybe something is wrong in the scouting.

We know they are not all first choice, WBA lad for example. TM and MV have both said recruitment was hard.

What we have is fans expectation (with no experience of purchasing players) vs reality. TM has said experience comes at a price, which appears to suggest the budget vs required resources is limited.

We are like Swindon, we have opted to go young and trying to favour possession football.

These players may just need time to develop and gel and we may need another summer of recruitment to add a few more pieces. Last season results are a distraction because it was basically a different team.

Plus Harries, Stevenson, Willis and Lawton may need another year of physical development.

Sometimes if you chase promotion too much you push it further away. These aren't good enough, let's get rid and find someone better...doesn't work. Continuity brings success. The evidence for that is in all , successful teams.

dongonzalos

Thanks pacman good review

The shame about terry and page
Is that we had two lads made for the wing back role that were/are our own players in Haynes and Phillips

Would have much preferred to develop them. Than develop players for West Ham and Newcastle.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Don't all the other teams in this league face the same problem though Bear? My point is - TM has just as much opportunity to get his points across to his troops. You don't need to run them ragged, you should know their abilities and explain how they should effectively deploy them (blimy even using a chalk board would do)...he's either not getting the message across, he's clueless, or he's inherited/brought shyte.
All other teams do have the same problem, this is work that should have been done and other clubs will have done in preseason but because our recruitment was slow and a lot of our recruits joined after the season already started we're behind other clubs on this.

Users who are viewing this thread