Football legends (1 Viewer)

Just been chatting in work about football club legends and those players that you used to idolise as they were the heart and soul of your club.........sad times in football as these 'club' legends seem to be no more......Money talks....

I'm talking about the likes of Bryan Robson, Tony Adams, Matt Le Tissier, Dalglish etc etc. The only 'current' legend's I can think of who still play in the Prem are Gerrard and Terry.

Anyone think of any others ???

RIP legends.

Grendel

John Terry is a vile prick not a legend.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Tony Hibbo Hibbert is a bit of legend with Everton fans.....in a weird way as they all know hes actually a bit shit...

born & bred blue, been playing in their first team for close to 15 years and has yet to score in a real game....

The fans always sang "if hibbo scores, we riot".....he finally scored in his testimonial & they did...

[video=youtube;2WsuEHfYfEc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WsuEHfYfEc[/video]

bringbackrattles

A real legend has just died Alfredo Di Stefano. the word legend is used a lot these days as it can mean a player who was great,a player who only played for one club,or was a legend because of his reputation like Roy Keane or Souness.

Otis

Players on the whole don't stay with clubs like they used to. Used to get career professionals who would stay with teams for their whole careers. Money talks these days. How many proper testimonials do you hear about nowadays?

Some players could maybe have become legends at their clubs but simply don't stay there long enough.

How many City legends have we had lately?

bringbackrattles

Players on the whole don't stay with clubs like they used to. Used to get career professionals who would stay with teams for their whole careers. Money talks these days. How many proper testimonials do you hear about nowadays?

Some players could maybe have become legends at their clubs but simply don't stay there long enough.

Leg Ends more like !

McSheff? maybe not....

turlykerd

I think a perfect example of money talking is lallanna ... At Southampton through 3 divisions and many years then a big club comes In and fucks off asap .

Not that I blame him, but it seams the only players that stay for life are already at a big club(terry gigs scholes etc)

SlowerThanPlatt

Not Premier League but Francesco Totti.

The fact he's only ever played in Serie A means only a small section of football fans have seen him, if he had spent time in Spain or England then would receive wider acknowledgment.

Also he never really did it for Italy so when he did have the wider world watching, he did nothing to improve his reputation. Love Totti but Del Piero will always be a better player in my eyes, bare in mind that Del Piero had several major injury problems too.

Sky Blue Kid

Bobby Charlton, Pele, Eusebio, Bobby Moore, Di Stefano, Lev Yashin, Stanley Mathews, Tom Finney, and Billy Wright. All legends in their own right...and all for the right reasons. They were Gentlemen.

wingy

We mustn't confuse Greats with Legends .

We have Lampard just coming to the end at Chelsea ,most definitley a Great,but It's dependent on the Scale of Audience/Exposure.

Obviously Currently hugely Exposed are Messi Ronaldo Neymar ETC.

They have the aura and ability to cause opposition teams to set up to counter their talent .

Best was a UK Legend ,Cruyff a Euro legend ,Drogba African etc.

rondog1973

I'll tell you what the most nauseating advert on TV is at the mo', that one with Gareth Bale referring to clubs such as Spurs & Saints as mere stepping stones in his career decisions to make it to an established order club. What hope for any club outside of that cosy clique when players such as he are so open about what they are really striving for?

jimmyhillsfanclub

I think some of you need to re-read the OP....

I don't think was supposed to be a thread just to list all the obvious greats & legends from yester-year......

Never mind eh.....If you can't beat 'em....

..That Pele....he could play a bit couldn't he!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
One of my all time favourite "legends" was Ian Rush. (Also Steve Heighway - both Liverpool, you'll note!). Foreigners I rated? Klinsman, Cruyff, Zidane and Cantona. City players were Hutchison, Bobby McDonald, Ferguson and Wallace.

Users who are viewing this thread