Formation Next Season (1 Viewer)

gally9

Assuming we lose nobody, how on earth is Mark Robins going to fit Tony Andreu, Jodie Jones, Tom Bayliss, Michael Doyle, Liam Kelly and Jordan Shipley into the starting eleven?

Im assuming our new winger from Dulwich isnt going to be ready.. but if he is?! Thats also assuming we sign nobody else in these areas..

I just feel we are slowly growing into a new system and i dont envy Mark Robins at all...

Thoughts?

Littlewood CCFC

Pretty sure Robins will revert to his favored 4 2 3 1 next season where Andreu will play in the 10 position. I think Shipley will be dropped for Jones and Allassani will be pushing for a place too.

If Bayliss is Sold however Jones will probably play on the right and Shipley left

better days

It's virtually certain that Bayliss will go to Derby
Probably a cynical view but transfers of fan's favourites are usually announced after the early season ticket deadline has passed
I don't blame the club for this as they'd like to keep the lad, it's the way of the world in football
We will still have a very strong team in the offensive areas and the funds generated will allow Mark Robins to strengthen the squad
I'd say we need another, younger, Doyler type to come in to help stand up to teams who try to intimidate our young players and help them learn game management

SkyBlueCRJ

It's imperative to have strength in depth. Obviously we got promoted which was incredible on all fronts and huge credit to Mark Robins considering the amount of injuries he had to deal with as well as some players not fulfilling expectations. But, we were nearly caught out which was evident in that little mid-season blip. If we're caught again short in League One I don't think we will be so fortunate IMO. So signing multiple players that fit in two systems is a wise choice by Robins. Both the 4-2-3-1 and the 4-4-2 worked well so why not use both?

Similarly, it gives us the option to mix it up when results aren't going our way. For instance, last season there was a time where we were crying out for an out and out winger due to the lack of creativity, yet there was no one we could rely upon until Reid came back. This is where strength in depth as well as avoiding entrenched tactics is invaluable. It gives us cover and it ensures that teams can't figure us out easily. This was an issue with our tactics last season where teams effectively shut out Jodi Jones and in turn shut out any shred of creativity.

So all in all I don't see it as an issue. Merely a managerial headache on Robins part.

gally9

It's imperative to have strength in depth. Obviously we got promoted which was incredible on all fronts and huge credit to Mark Robins considering the amount of injuries he had to deal with as well as some players not fulfilling expectations. But, we were nearly caught out which was evident in that little mid-season blip. If we're caught again short in League One I don't think we will be so fortunate IMO. So signing multiple players that fit in two systems is a wise choice by Robins. Both the 4-2-3-1 and the 4-4-2 worked well so why not use both?

Similarly, it gives us the option to mix it up when results aren't going our way. For instance, last season there was a time where we were crying out for an out and out winger due to the lack of creativity, yet there was no one we could rely upon until Reid came back. This is where strength in depth as well as avoiding entrenched tactics is invaluable. It gives us cover and it ensures that teams can't figure us out easily. This was an issue with our tactics last season where teams effectively shut out Jodi Jones and in turn shut out any shred of creativity.

So all in all I don't see it as an issue. Merely a managerial headache on Robins part.
Great answer!

Sky Blue Harry H

If we have speedy wingers, we will be a nightmare to defend against (even more so if Bayliss stays, though if he were to go, hopefully Andreu can play the puppet master role - a new nickname for him?!). The problem will be remaining defensively sound. If we have to put up with 4-3 wins most weeks, so be it!!

BlueElephant

A bloody good headache to have!!

CCFC88

Assuming Bayliss leaves and McNulty stays as the 1 upfront if were going to use 4231, we would have great options with the three being any of

Jones - Andreu - JCH (pending return) - Biamou - Allassani - Shipley
Ponticelli interchangeable for McNulty in case of injury/rest/suspension

Gives MR a real ability to mix and match and cater formations/tactics to exploit opponents weaknesses.

With Kelly and Doyle receiving support from Westbrooke and potentially a breakthrough prospect from the youth, given our record of bringing players through the last few years you would expect at least 1 graduate to be making waves.

Cant help but feel this squad is 2 top L1 full backs away from being a promotion contender.

mark82

Assuming Bayliss leaves and McNulty stays as the 1 upfront if were going to use 4231, we would have great options with the three being any of

Jones - Andreu - JCH (pending return) - Biamou - Allassani - Shipley
Ponticelli interchangeable for McNulty in case of injury/rest/suspension

Gives MR a real ability to mix and match and cater formations/tactics to exploit opponents weaknesses.

With Kelly and Doyle receiving support from Westbrooke and potentially a breakthrough prospect from the youth, given our record of bringing players through the last few years you would expect at least 1 graduate to be making waves.

Cant help but feel this squad is 2 top L1 full backs away from being a promotion contender.

I think Grimmer is underrated. Think he can make the step up. Agree that left back is an obvious problem, Stokes is good cover but has lost a bit since his injuries. We need a long term Doyle replacement who can maybe share the load with him this year. We don't need too much else as long as we keep everyone, would be nice to have the luxury of just being able to add a bit of extra quality and depth rather than complete rebuild.

My biggest concern is the number of players with 1 year left. We should prioritise extending those that we need to keep who expire next year. My priorities would be Hyam, Willis, Davies & McNulty followed by Liam Kelly & Jack Grimmer. If we can extend the majority of those then we'll be in a good position in terms of the core of the squad.

Mucca Mad Boys

Robins rarely deviates from 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 so I'd be surprised to mix that up. I suppose it depends on the personnel we bring in this summer whether it is 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1.

Primarily, we need to build our depth, for the first team, matchday 18, we need about 5-7 players:
- RM, maybe another winger too
- CM, or two
- LB
- ST, will probably be JCH
- Perhaps a defender

Any other players will be building depth in our U23s to be brought through.

Users who are viewing this thread