Free Agents (1 Viewer)

Manchester_sky_blue

Always fun to browse the free agents.

I'd no idea Willis was without a club, knew he'd been released by Sunderland but just assumed he'd rocked up somewhere else.

Briles

Always rated calum mcmanaman, he ended up having such a weird career, thought he was much older than 31 though

Manchester_sky_blue

We were interested in this guy once upon a time weren't we? Or have I imagined that?

Attachments

• IMG_20230201_213055.jpg
    IMG_20230201_213055.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 102

Kieranp96

Quite a few names in there that I would happily take a chance in if the wage was right but most have played higher than Coventry and will expect a big wage

Kieranp96

Compared to their zero wage at present?
That’s greedy footballers for you, some want the dough and not the actual game.
Plenty of proof of that in the premier league when they’re sat in the u23s not doing anything.

also some have had career’s at the top like Jordan ibe I’m sure he has wasn’t enough to retire as-well as Connor wickham ect

Manchester_sky_blue

That’s greedy footballers for you, some want the dough and not the actual game.
Plenty of proof of that in the premier league when they’re sat in the u23s not doing anything.

also some have had career’s at the top like Jordan ibe I’m sure he has wasn’t enough to retire as-well as Connor wickham ect
Wickham is another one I didn't realise had fallen so far. Think it just shows that at our level being a "name" counts for nothing

slowpoke

What the hell happened to Jordan Ibe. I know he wasn't worth the £18m Bournemouth paid but jheezus that's a fall from grace.
That’s become the trouble with the premier league just because someone has spent £18million on a player it doesn’t make them good enough and Ibe is in that category.

ptr

Absolutely would not take any of them. Free agents take weeks to get up to speed, waste of time. We don’t need any washed up, injury prone has beens.

I’m hoping that in the Summer we actually sign players in their prime, 26/27/28. Maybe even take some of the better players from league below? Instead of being linked with 32 years olds that used to play for Chelsea reserves.

Legia Sky Blue

The better players in the league below is definitely the way for a club like us to go in terms of permanent signings. Younger, hungrier players have much more upside than experienced players with bigger wage demands on their way down.

The January window is always very hit and miss in terms of loan signings. Young players joining have little time to adjust to the team pattern and can look a lot worse than they actually are. Nevertheless many from the football manager/ FIFA generations are blinded by peripheral players coming from big PL clubs, when a quick look at the results of U21 teams in the Papa Johns Trophy over the years suggests the Championship might be a step too far for some at that stage of their careers.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The better players in the league below is definitely the way for a club like us to go in terms of permanent signings. Younger, hungrier players have much more upside than experienced players with bigger wage demands on their way down.

The January window is always very hit and miss in terms of loan signings. Young players joining have little time to adjust to the team pattern and can look a lot worse than they actually are. Nevertheless many from the football manager/ FIFA generations are blinded by peripheral players coming from big PL clubs, when a quick look at the results of U21 teams in the Papa Johns Trophy over the years suggests the Championship might be a step too far for some at that stage of their careers.
I think we need a bit of both.

We should predominantly look at younger players coming from the leagues below, but recently we've not been able to compete financially for those that are lesser risk (i.e. the best in the league below) and have taken potshots on very young kids that are pretty much never on the radar. Hopefully under the new owner some of those players may be within our reach again.

Similarly with more experienced players coming down, they can offer leadership and help those younger players. But again in recent years we've been priced out of the better ones that aren't too old or look past it. We've probably got to be more careful with these signings because they will be expensive wage-wise and need to be among our top performers. Unfortunately we seem to regularly pick up the ones where their legs have gone.

Users who are viewing this thread