Friendliest town or city in England (1 Viewer)

jimmyhillsfanclub

I've been down in London today for work and I have to say........I love the place!

Even at the age of 35 I'd still happily move down there for a couple of years just to leave and breathe it!! Such a buzz everytime I'm there!!

And the women........

London is an interesting one.....I still enjoy a visit to the place for short a city break with the mrs. & I still have some friends who live down there that we occasionally visit.
I used to enjoy it in my old job when 2 of us had to cover a service contract at the now closed down Gillette factory......4 visits a year in a central London hotel on expenses for 2 lads in their 20's in Britpop 90's london.....great days & nights indeed...

...but when I actually lived & worked there, the "buzz" just turned in to the long slog...the daily grind....the 2.5 hours added to your working day sweating on the fucking tube...and after a while, you realise that it starts to infect you as a person....subtle little changes that you notice....you have less patience, less empathy, less tolerance, become more selfish....I think London made me a worse person.

Whereas living back in my Mersey paradise & I'm now cleansed & redeemed......a loveable positive compassionate angel.:cool:

Otis

London is an interesting one.....I still enjoy a visit to the place for short a city break with the mrs. & I still have some friends who live down there that we occasionally visit.
I used to enjoy it in my old job when 2 of us had to cover a service contract at the now closed down Gillette factory......4 visits a year in a central London hotel on expenses for 2 lads in their 20's in Britpop 90's london.....great days & nights indeed...

...but when I actually lived & worked there, the "buzz" just turned in to the long slog...the daily grind....the 2.5 hours added to your working day sweating on the fucking tube...and after a while, you realise that it starts to infect you as a person....subtle little changes that you notice....you have less patience, less empathy, less tolerance, become more selfish....I think London made me a worse person.

Whereas living back in my Mersey paradise & I'm now cleansed & redeemed......a loveable positive compassionate angel.:cool:

We love London too, but it is a every man for himself, dog eat dog mindset at times down there and everyone always seem to be in a rush. It's far too fast paced at times for its own good.

Sick Boy

Can someone suggest some decent boozers for a few scoops with the missus? Heading up there for a weekend soon and considering making move up there for work so keen to have a look at it.

Sick Boy

We love London too, but it is a every man for himself, dog eat dog mindset at times down there and everyone always seem to be in a rush. It's far too fast paced at times for its own good.

London is one of the best citis in the world but most of the centre feels like one massive tourist trap now.

CCFC88

Liverpool has produced some great music for sure and even the quality of the busking here overall is really great. Some great street art too.

The place just oozes art and music. You can feel it all around you.

People make a bit of a mockery about the capital of culture but I think this did an awful lot for liverpool, having visited before during and after I could see genuine improvements happening over the period, a place that really seems to comes together in the face of adversity.

CCFC88

Can someone suggest some decent boozers for a few scoops with the missus? Heading up there for a weekend soon and considering making move up there for work so keen to have a look at it.

Try to avoid chain boozers but the O'Neils on Hanover St has always been lively and freindly on a Friday night, the German Bierkeller if you fancy a slightly stronger beer mixed with live geman band for entertainment

& Matou, rooftop restaurant and bar down on the riverfront, lovely out in the summer!

Last edited:

Macca

London is one of the best citis in the world but most of the centre feels like one massive tourist trap now.

I loved it when I lived there 20 years back and the centre is a massive buzz. Not many of the suburbs I'd fancy anymore though

covupnorf

You are right about Glasgow, got a mate who lives there now, met up with him for a nightout, cracking people, good laugh. The South in General gets a bit of stick, but i have family in Southend, and have had some good nights out there, and the locals were friendly, looking forward to the away match there.

bringbackrattles

Have been to lots of places in England,Scotland and Wales. And have come to the conclusion it's about people and not the location. So really the thread is really about folk and not the sights etc.

Otis

Have been to lots of places in England,Scotland and Wales. And have come to the conclusion it's about people and not the location. So really the thread is really about folk and not the sights etc.

Some of the folks though look a right sight.

Otis

That could be another thread Otis the oddest looking people you've come across on your travels ? In Bell Green my dad used to say it's full of oddballs and looking about he was spot on !

Bedford.

It was lovely by the river and I could gladly move down there, but in the town centre it was like The Hills Have Eyes.

Brighton Sky Blue

When I did the walk that I still have advertised in my signature I started out in Brighton and finished up near Bradford so I got a good cross section of a lot of places. Without question I got the least help in Surrey/Berkshire, with pubs that wouldn't let me have a sandwich if I arrived 5 minutes after lunch hours and B+B owners who would charge me for lifts after implying that they wouldn't. Then I moved on to the Cotswolds where I got 2 extra donations to my charity in a pub where the owner offered a free lunch, through the Midlands and Staffordshire in particular was full of people who would come up to you and talk for hours. Up to Manchester and along the canal paths boat owners were offering cups of tea and again more donations which carried on into Yorkshire, so all in all the only grief I ever got was in the Home Counties.

In Scotland it's a bit odd. People are ostensibly welcoming to visitors but I must have been told 'that's not a local accent' more times than I can remember. Certainly since SNP-mania took off and the referendum the chip-on-shoulder attitudes are more noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread