Full English (1 Viewer)

olderskyblue

Any decent places to go for a full English breakfast, Cov & Warwickshire area?

rob9872

Most seem cardboard replicas like you'd get in a wetherspoons with measured ingredients. You can't beat an old school greasy spoon where you still get tinned plum tomatoes and not half a grilled one. Mushrooms also seems to be a thing of the past.

rondog1973

Most seem cardboard replicas like you'd get in a wetherspoons with measured ingredients. You can't beat an old school greasy spoon where you still get tinned plum tomatoes and not half a grilled one. Mushrooms also seems to be a thing of the past.
Like fresh tomatoes but detest them cooked! This fad for a half grilled one replacing tinned plum proper irritates. It's like a concession to healthy eating on a plate full of cholesterol laden deadliness. What's the bloody point!

PVA

If you want something cheap, then Morrisons Cafe do a really good breakfast for the price!

For something fancier (and expensive), Tuning Fork in Rugby does a very good one.

ovduk78

Like fresh tomatoes but detest them cooked! This fad for a half grilled one replacing tinned plum proper irritates. It's like a concession to healthy eating on a plate full of cholesterol laden deadliness. What's the bloody point!
I'm not sure a grilled tomato being part of a Full English is a fad. I would rather have it than baked beans if they are indeed part of a Full English. Bacon, egg, sausage, mushrooms & grilled tomato with some toast & a cup of tea sounds like perfection to me.

stay_up_skyblues

I'm not sure a grilled tomato being part of a Full English is a fad. I would rather have it than baked beans if they are indeed part of a Full English. Bacon, egg, sausage, mushrooms & grilled tomato with some toast & a cup of tea sounds like perfection to me.

Where do you stand on the grilled vine tomatoes now found on posh ones?

Plum tomatoes all the way for me. And black pudding. Sod the mushrooms but hash brown welcome.

Saddlebrains

Make your own you lazy bastard, always tastes way better aswell

3 Bacon, 2 Sausage, Fried Egg, Black Pudding, 2 Hash Browns, Mushrooms, Beans, Tinned Tomatoes, Fried Bread

Saying that the only fry up ive ever had that I was massively impressed with in a place was at a cafe in Lyme Regis, Dorset

It was heavenly

ajsccfc

Malt Kiln Farm or the Barn at Berryfields are my go-to's

Playwrights is also supposed to be decent

The Barn is round the corner from me and we've still yet to try their restaurant, going by the monster size of the stuff in their bakery I'd imagine their breakfast would see me full for the whole day

shmmeee

Fry ups should be cheap, plentiful, and served by someone with questionable food hygiene qualifications. Posh fry ups are always shite. Never enough, egg with herbs on it, ramekin of beans, get to fuck.

No idea where does a good one, always make my own. Rare to find a proper greasy spoon these days too.

olderskyblue

3 Bacon, 2 Sausage, Fried Egg, Black Pudding, 2 Hash Browns, Mushrooms, Beans, Tinned Tomatoes, Fried Bread

Saying that the only fry up ive ever had that I was massively impressed with in a place was at a cafe in Lyme Regis, Dorset

It was heavenly
Bit far to go there…

it’s a family meet up (sister and brother-in-law) and a bit of a tradition with us now, or else I would make it myself 😂

although, mine is a not quite a full English. No tomatoes or mushrooms thanks.

olderskyblue

The cafe at Wellesbourn airfield is top notch.
Full monty with toast and a brew!
Was there a few weeks ago, it was good

fernandopartridge

Fry ups should be cheap, plentiful, and served by someone with questionable food hygiene qualifications. Posh fry ups are always shite. Never enough, egg with herbs on it, ramekin of beans, get to fuck.

No idea where does a good one, always make my own. Rare to find a proper greasy spoon these days too.
Dunno, get the point to an extent but cheap bacon and sausage are dreadful so I'll err on the more expensive places. Agree on the ramekin point.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Best I’ve ever been was a place in Greenock in Scotland for a mates wedding. Was ages ago now but was £1 for 1 egg, 1 bacon, 1 sausage slice, 1 pancake thing, 1 black pudding i think and either tomatoes or mushrooms. Then for £2 two of everything £3 3 of everything and so on. Even 25 years ago it was the most insane value of ever seen.

ovduk78

Where do you stand on the grilled vine tomatoes now found on posh ones?

Plum tomatoes all the way for me. And black pudding. Sod the mushrooms but hash brown welcome.
No to grilled vine tomatoes, just a normal tomato cut in half & grilled.
I don't want black pudding on my breakfast although I much prefer the English one over the ones we get in Scotland. Hash browns can fuck off back to the USA and as for the suggestions of white pudding & soda bread they are not part of a Full English.

ovduk78

Best I’ve ever been was a place in Greenock in Scotland for a mates wedding. Was ages ago now but was £1 for 1 egg, 1 bacon, 1 sausage slice, 1 pancake thing, 1 black pudding i think and either tomatoes or mushrooms. Then for £2 two of everything £3 3 of everything and so on. Even 25 years ago it was the most insane value of ever seen.
Pancake thing was probably a potato scone

Hertsccfc

No to grilled vine tomatoes, just a normal tomato cut in half & grilled.
I don't want black pudding on my breakfast although I much prefer the English one over the ones we get in Scotland. Hash browns can fuck off back to the USA and as for the suggestions of white pudding & soda bread they are not part of a Full English.
Agree about hashbrowns. Anyone tried fried sweet potatoes instead? I just feel they go really well.

duffer

It was heavenly

With you entirely except on the hash browns, tasty or not, are they not an American interloper?

Fried bread though, I've not seen that in years... No way the health police are letting that one get through. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread