Funeral songs (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Might be a bit early for some of our (ahem!) younger members, but I got to thinking what song or songs does everyone want played at their funeral? I'm now reaching 71 and doubt if I'll be around for too many more years, so I've already put in place my funeral plans (and paid for aswell!)
Songs I've chosen are "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd and "Ain't No Grave Gonna Hold Me Down" by Johnny Cash. Reasons are, well, I'll be comfortably numb by then and also, I'll do my best to get out of my grave to do some haunting!
What songs will you choose and why?

skybluetony176

Was thinking something sad, like the closing music from The Hulk TV series from when I was a kid. More mainstream was thinking Velvet Morning by the Verve or maybe Monkeys gone to Heaven by the pixies

rondog1973

Heard this anecdote once off whom I can't remember. This fella had died and his family are making the funeral arrangements. They requested the farewell song to be Bryan Adams's Everything I do I do it for you, theme from Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves as the deceased loved both song and film.

The coffin rolled behind the curtain to:

"ROBIN HOOD, ROBIN HOOD, FLYING THROUGH THE GLEN!"

rob9872

I've got a few in mind but tbh I won't be hearing them. Might leave it to those attending who decide what they'd prefer to hear.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'd like to have the exit music as something uplifting/funny, but for the entrance etc. I've always thought Don't Cry by Guns n' Roses and Leave Out All The Rest by Linkin Park fit nicely. My Immortal by Evanescence is another great song but far too sad.

LastGarrison

Not having a funeral , pure cremation already paid for , family know where my ashes need to be scattered , having been to enough funerals I don’t see the point in getting upset all over again ..also I’m a tight git
Obviously, it is everyone’s individual choice but from a personal perspective I have found that when someone doesn’t have a funeral in can sometimes leave families missing that bit of closure that is needed when someone dies.

Sbarcher

Obviously, it is everyone’s individual choice but from a personal perspective I have found that when someone doesn’t have a funeral in can sometimes leave families missing that bit of closure that is needed when someone dies.
I think the “closure” bit is a cliche. The period between the death and the funeral is the worst time ever.

LastGarrison

I think the “closure” bit is a cliche. The period between the death and the funeral is the worst time ever.
Again, I think it depends on you and the situation and who has died.

My Uncle didn't have a funeral yet you could still sit in the Crem as he was being cremated. A very weird situation when there's no words or songs etc. and it was just completely surrreal.

A friend of mine also had a similar situation but they didn't go the Crem and didn't feel like that they got that final goodbye.

Weird thing death and the effect it has on the people left behind and people react in vwery different ways.

Johnnythespider

I might go out to this

P.S if anyone wants to change the words to the Sakamoto shuffle be my guest

Users who are viewing this thread