Gareth Bale retired (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

Hardly surprising. He’s basically retired before the World Cup anyway but kept getting on the pitch.

alexccfc99

He was effectively already in club retirement and was only really hanging around to play for his country at a World Cup - Would have been a lot sooner had Wales not made it to Qatar

World class in his final 3 seasons at Spurs and first few in Spain, however I feel both parties could have been a lot more mature in the end of his time in Madrid

ProfessorbyGrace

Personally, I think it’s the right move, as he’s been a shadow of his former self for years now. At the World Cup he was a passenger, and I felt that about Ramsey too.

In his prime though, he was generally unplayable. What a player he was. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Not proud of my Welsh heritage this week though, bastard Wrexham.

shmmeee

Said it before but still the best performance I’ve seen live when he was a kid at Soton. So rare to see a player that is clearly miles above everyone else at that age. Do wonder what happened. Just too much too quick and lost his passion do we think?

ProfessorbyGrace

Said it before but still the best performance I’ve seen live when he was a kid at Soton. So rare to see a player that is clearly miles above everyone else at that age. Do wonder what happened. Just too much too quick and lost his passion do we think?
Could be, yes. He hit his peak early, similar to Michael Owen.

Grendel

length of match time takes its toll

Brighton Sky Blue

He's in the conversation for sure. I'd argue Bale's contribution in Champions League finals elevates him above Beckham.

Beckham stayed at the top level for longer and his trophy list is pretty strong too. I’d say he edges Bale, but both of course brilliant players

Grendel

John Charles was regarded as a pioneering footballer in his day winning 3 league titles with Juventus

Skybluefaz

John Charles was regarded as a pioneering footballer in his day winning 3 league titles with Juventus
Seems like lot of the older generation really think Charles was the best. I can't recall even seeing highlight footage of him but like you say, doing what he did was groundbreaking.

Users who are viewing this thread