Gary Deegan suspended from the club (1 Viewer)

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Honestly. I think people should be able to jokingly say whatever they like. Everyone has the right to like or dislike that individual for his comments and that should be enough. What is the world coming to when you need to seek legal advice for a fucking twitter comment? There are much more important issues on our own streets. Seriously?.

smileycov

Facebook User
So saying 'up the ira' isn't praising them then?

I'm sorry but the ira are the lowest scum on earth. I don't believe that deegan believes what he says, but that's not the point. Even on the basis of stupidity he deserves to be punished.

For the love of god, HE DID NOT SAY THAT!!!!

Nick

Administrator
There is no proof he supports them though. Imagine if I said to my mate "come on the taliban", it doesn't mean I support or condone them. He made the mistake by posting it on the internet, rather than a text!

dongonzalos

So saying 'up the ira' isn't praising them then?

I'm sorry but the ira are the lowest scum on earth. I don't believe that deegan believes what he says, but that's not the point. Even on the basis of stupidity he deserves to be punished.

That is the point, you don't believe he means it. So he, in your eyes is not guilty of supporting the IRA. He is guilty of making a stupid comment in bad taste banter, for which he immeadiately apologised, explained it was banter and removed it.

If you are correct, you should not be judging him as a supporter of terrorism, but as someone who made a bad taste joke.

No one on here is saying nothing should happen. Some people want him sacked I think most people are saying that is an over reaction and he should be made to do a public apology in which he explains his views on terrorism. Also he should pay a donation to charity.

What do you think is the suitable punishment for making a bad taste joke and apologising?

What does a suspension achieve other than punish the club and the fans, as it sets him back a week and a half in training?

There is no proof he supports them though. Imagine if I said to my mate "come on the taliban", it doesn't mean I support or condone them. He made the mistake by posting it on the internet, rather than a text!

no but the fact he put it on a domain for the world to see suggests to me he wanted to look big and clever in front his irish mates.

If it was a joke between two people a Private message or text would be more subtle.

coundonskyblue

<p>
Honestly. I think people should be able to jokingly say whatever they like. Everyone has the right to like or dislike that individual for his comments and that should be enough. What is the world coming to when you need to seek legal advice for a fecking twitter comment when there are much more important issues on our own streets? Seriously?.

I actually agree with you. But that has to be across the board. How is it right that deegan can say that as a 'joke' and nothing happens, yet John terry calls someone a racist name and gets in trouble. If terry meant it as a joke would it be ok?

the first good move i actually agree with by the club for years, he simply cant get away with those comments, as a proud city coventry has been targeted twice by this scum terrorist organisation, resulting in the loss of lives. and the fact he is a terrible player and a chance to get rid of him is just a bonus

Changeyourface

Nice to see some common sense from the club for once, hopefully they get rid. I know I would be sacked from my job if I openly supported a terrorist organisation responsible for the death of over a thousand innocent men, women and children.

Nick

Administrator
even my 9 year old kid would know whats right and wrong

a bloke no matter how dumb he is , should know what reaction it would cause ?

What like people near enough of accusing him of being a terrorist, a fan of the IRA etc? Maybe he just didn't expect the over reaction about it.

Still just think his wages should go to a charity for 2 weeks, public apology and extra training.

the first good move i actually agree with by the club for years, he simply cant get away with those comments, as a proud city coventry has been targeted twice by this scum terrorist organisation, resulting in the loss of lives. and the fact he is a terrible player and a chance to get rid of him is just a bonus

exactly its soooo nice to see fellow fans sticking up for the pleb

Nick

Administrator
Nobody is sticking up for him I don't think. Just from a common sense point of view as we have no players, unless we have an awesome midfielder lined up to replace him.

It would make no sense to sack him or risk him being unfit (if we do keep him) as we have no other players.

lordsummerisle

Nobody is sticking up for him I don't think. Just from a common sense point of view as we have no players, unless we have an awesome midfielder lined up to replace him.

It would make no sense to sack him or risk him being unfit (if we do keep him) as we have no other players.

Or even a not very good midfielder as a one for one swap.

What like people near enough of accusing him of being a terrorist, a fan of the IRA etc? Maybe he just didn't expect the over reaction about it.

Still just think his wages should go to a charity for 2 weeks, public apology and extra training.

IRA – A organisation who killed over 1,500 innocent civilians.

A person tweets up the RA which no matter who says different means Up the IRA.

No overreaction. If he wants to make a living, go back to Ireland where some will welcome him with open arms with his Pro IRA comments.

I don't know, getting all hot and bothered about a stupid tweet from somebody you don't know personally to a mate is pretty funny really.

personally to a public domain. which bit cant you see.

a public domain. a joke between mates Is done via text or private message.

ive sent plenty of non PC jokes to mates but i do them private not via a open board etc

rob9872

Tim Fisher on the offal has just said "we must take a firm stance on this matter - No Surrender" :D

loads on here have justifed his comments.

flammablepiss

Facebook User
I actually agree with you. But that has to be across the board. How is it right that deegan can say that as a 'joke' and nothing happens, yet John terry calls someone a racist name and gets in trouble. If terry meant it as a joke would it be ok?

I suppose that is a fair point. I have the same view racism or not, racism is probably for a different debate though. I think dongonzalos summed it up nicely, these players are essentially public speakers as soon as they start tweeting publicly they should be named and shamed for their silly actions, they probably won't do it again afterwards. Personally a public apology and an explaination from Deegan is enough in my eyes. Else soon enough this will become the norm and it will be me and you getting in trouble for silly comments... lets face it everyone does it.

Nick

Administrator
There is a difference between saying "Up the IRA" and being an active member in them surely?

If my friend was going to Afghan and I jokingly said in the pub to him "come on the Taliban" as a joke. Does that make me a supporter / member of the Taliban?

He shouldn't have posted it online for everybody to see and if he had any sense he wouldn't have. I wasn't there so can't really comment but I can't see by him saying that he is saying he supports the IRA or anything that they did.

He may well be a secret member of the IRA, I don't know, I don't know him. Just from that comment.

skybluebeduff

I'm sure in the past someone on this forum has said something to a friend that was maybe a bit Racist? Homophobic? e.t.c e.t.c, unfortunately for the div he put it o twitter so the public seen it, all friends have jokes with each other ffs. Now if he was stood there behind a Irish Republican Army flag, with a AK47 and wearing a balaclava then sure get angry and lose control over the keyboard with it, a young lad who only knows the term IRA from google and his parents, should be just told off not slaughtered.

There is a difference between saying "Up the IRA" and being an active member in them surely?

If my friend was going to Afghan and I jokingly said in the pub to him "come on the Taliban" as a joke. Does that make me a supporter / member of the Taliban?

poor taste if someone thinks it funny.

would you go into a boozer say where a few soliders gathered and said up the taliban?

no so why think its ok to do behind a computer?

lordsummerisle

Apparently it does on here.

To be fair if he was going on holiday to Afghanistan he'd deserve whatever happened to him!

Nick

Administrator
No, because it was banter between me and my mate. Which is why I said he shouldn't have posted it online....

I'm not condoning anything, I'm certainly not a supporter of the IRA, I don't know Deegan. Just trying to see it from all angles rather than the "he should be killed", "he should be sacked", "he is a terrorist" comments.

Nick

Administrator
ive sent plenty of non PC jokes to mates but i do them private not via a open board etc

So if it was a racist joke does that mean you want to go out and beat up people of different races? Does it mean you condone people who do?

OR does it mean it was just a bit of banter between you and your mate?

No, because it was banter between me and my mate. Which is why I said he shouldn't have posted it online....

I'm not condoning anything, I'm certainly not a supporter of the IRA, I don't know Deegan. Just trying to see it from all angles rather than the "he should be killed", "he should be sacked", "he is a terrorist" comments.

Nick banter between mates is done privately not on a public domain.

what he gets upto behind the scenes is upto him but when he actually supports a terror group his public twitter account then that is disrespectful

I receive jokes on a daily basis many would find offensive, i don’t post them on here or twitter because i know some would be offended.

So if it was a racist joke does that mean you want to go out and beat up people of different races? Does it mean you condone people who do?

OR does it mean it was just a bit of banter between you and your mate?

yes done within a group of mates

not done of public domain. people who put stuff on a public domain want others to see

he could have sent McPake a text, PM, DM.

why put it on twitter? was it done direct or as a general tweet?

dongonzalos

so your happy one of our players are pro IRA, a terrorist group who killed over 1,500 innocent civvilans?

Mumford, you clearly know what Deegan's opinion is on the IRA and terrorism.

I assume you know this because you have spoken to Deegan. What does he think about the IRA and about them killing innocent civilians?

All I know is he joked to a mate saying up the RA because his mate agreed to play for Northern Ireland. Then when someone explained to him that his comment was inappropriate. He explained it was a joke then removed it. So I don't know what his opinion is on them. I know he made a stupid joke

Going to be quite dissapointed in him, if you tell me he genuinely does support terrorism and the killing of civillians. Would prefer that he does not play for our club in that case.

Let us know what you know and how you know it please buddy, it may shine some light for those of us who have only got that bad taste joke to go on.

Users who are viewing this thread