Gatwick Drones (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
It's mad how somebody with a drone can cause so much disruption. Would think there would be ways to either kill the power to it or shoot them down as soon as they go into dangerous airspace.

Nick

Administrator
You would think frequencies in the radius would be jammed anyway so they just fall out of the sky.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Yeah, you'd have thunk, wouldn't you? Apparently they do that at military airfields and other establishments!
Get some farmer with a rifle and pay him a grand to shoot at it!

Nick

Administrator
It must be causing millions if not billions of worth of trouble for the airport. It wouldn't be that hard surely to just get somebody to shoot them out of the sky.

clint van damme

saw some bloke flying one up the Memorial park, flying it along the path just above head height, making people really uncomfortable. Thought he was the bollocks, everyone else thought he was a moron.
His missus looked highly embarrassed.

rob9872

He's got no hair but we don't care, Gatwick, Gatwick Drones.

hill83

It's mad how somebody with a drone can cause so much disruption. Would think there would be ways to either kill the power to it or shoot them down as soon as they go into dangerous airspace.

Yeah just rattle bullets across an airport into nearby towns ha ha easy.

If that fails nuke the whole area.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah just rattle bullets across an airport into nearby towns ha ha easy.

If that fails nuke the whole area.

Bullets? I was on about Rockets m8.

As soon as they enter the forbidden airspace, get rid of them. Surely they have a bigger drone they could send up and have drone dog fights in the sky? If 4 random blokes can make a robot to smash another one, surely they can make a beast of one to put up into the sky to smash it?

The worrying thing is if they had a bomb on them or something, how little can be done about it.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Police have said they don’t want to shoot it down in case they miss and the stray bullets.

Thing is now, idiots will see the disruption it causes and start doing it more and more!

Nick

Administrator
Police have said they don’t want to shoot it down in case they miss and the stray bullets.

Thing is now, idiots will see the disruption it causes and start doing it more and more!

It's like when they refused to knock people off mopeds and they just took the piss.

Surely there's ways to get it down without having somebody stood aimlessly shooting into the sky?

Otis

A godsend for terrorist and chavs.

I do want one though. ;)

They are used throughout the film industry these days and great for aerial shots.

Think from sometime next year they will have to be registered.

Mcbean

Shoot the fuckers out of the Sky - armed people are there on duty already - people might think a bit more when they lose their property - and if the cameras are recovered might incriminate them

Nick

Administrator
Shoot the fuckers out of the Sky - armed people are there on duty already - people might think a bit more when they lose their property - and if the cameras are recovered might incriminate them

They might have some homemade stuff on them too.

giphy.gif

Otis

Yeah, was listening to that on 5 Live. They were saying some people are using them in a pervy way to spy on people.

Can also see the paparazzi considering using them to catch a look at stars and celebs.

shmmeee

You would think frequencies in the radius would be jammed anyway so they just fall out of the sky.

They wouldn’t just fall out the sky though. You’d just disrupt comma to the controls and it would carry on its trajectory. Some work entirely with on board GPS as well.

My mates Phantom drone could be set to fly a path and then doesn’t need any connection bar GPS (which you obviously can’t block in an airport Id assume)

EMP is too risky. That’s why they tend to train birds or have special drones of their own to take them down. It’s actially quite tricky to do.

Nick

Administrator
They wouldn’t just fall out the sky though. You’d just disrupt comma to the controls and it would carry on its trajectory. Some work entirely with on board GPS as well.

My mates Phantom drone could be set to fly a path and then doesn’t need any connection bar GPS (which you obviously can’t block in an airport Id assume)

EMP is too risky. That’s why they tend to train birds or have special drones of their own to take them down. It’s actially quite tricky to do.

giphy.gif

They must have a way to do it though, what would they do if it was a terrorist drone flying into the palace with a bomb on it?

It's quite worrying that it can be so disruptive.

shmmeee

giphy.gif

They must have a way to do it though, what would they do if it was a terrorist drone flying into the palace with a bomb on it?

It's quite worrying that it can be so disruptive.

The speed the tech came out took everyone by surprise I think. Look at prisons, more controlled and less tech issues than an airport and they have to resort to putting nets up.

Even the new laws they’re on about are basically useless if people just don’t follow them. And any tech is hackable to remove geofencing or whatever, I mean we’re talking about something any 15 year old with access to Maplin can build themselves.

Some kind of arms race is my only guess. Get the coppers trained and provide them with high power drones with some kind of weapon on. A bit like how the traffic cops have super cars sometimes.

clint van damme

There are two Wetherspoons at Gatwick, settle down and get sloshed.

just been listening to 5live, there's a 2 hour queue for a coffee!

Had some professional drone operator on said this is pre planned and deliberate.
Said off the shelf drones can't be operated in controlled air space without modification. When they catch whoever is responsible I think it's fair to say not only are they going to get a lengthy jail sentence but they're going to need an personal protection for the foreseeable future!

Nick

Administrator

Had some professional drone operator on said this is pre planned and deliberate.
Said off the shelf drones can't be operated in controlled air space without modification. When they catch whoever is responsible I think it's fair to say not only are they going to get a lengthy jail sentence but they're going to need an personal protection for the foreseeable future!

That's if they do catch them. Whoever has done it could have done one to another airport and left the country. That would have been genius.

Captain Dart

Captain Dart

What this means I await to find out with baited breath.

Marty

How fucking useless are the people in charge here. 8 hours later and still causing disruption. Couldn't they just fire water at it from a fire engine. That would be more then enough to destabilise it.

Captain Dart

How fucking useless are the people in charge here. 8 hours later and still causing disruption. Couldn't they just fire water at it from a fire engine. That would be more then enough to destabilise it.

That may not be practical but I agree with the sentiments, someone capable who can get this resolved quickly needs to be put in charge.

Nick

Administrator
What's the maximum prison sentence for something like this? I guess it is going to be a civil loss of earnings court case that is going to rock their world?

shmmeee

That’s pure bollocks. I can buy non geofenced drones off amazon right now and could build one before it arrived anyway. Most off the shelf drones don’t even have GPS (though not sure if this has been sighted as a professional >1.5kg quad or not which do have GPS, but older ones often don’t)

Agree it’s pre planned though. Flight time is usually around an hour max so they must have a load of drones/charged packs waiting to keep it up that long.

Users who are viewing this thread