Gazza "joke" opinions (1 Viewer)

Macca

http://www.theguardian.com/football...accused-of-racist-joke-on-stage-wolverhampton

Ok now I don't have a huge amount of time for Gazza due to him knocking a woman about but I am unsure what to make of this story. His joke is racist, outdated and wholly inappropriate. But...a hate crime? What say you people?

Verbal, physical intimidation, prejudice, bullying I get. An unfunny joke from a washed up old buffoon, I'm not sure about?

I guess I'm asking what defines a "hate crime"

Macca

You see I kind of get the Fury one as he genuinely seems to have said some explicit things, though he is entitled to his opinion. Gazza has made a poor taste joke based on physical appearance. Don't know, tricky area. Trying to decide whether is a valid use of police time

RFC

Way things are going won't be able to say anything, crack a joke, speak either your mind or the truth for fear of offending someone or breaching their 'human rights'! We live in a very sad World.

Macca

Way things are going won't be able to say anything, crack a joke, speak either your mind or the truth for fear of offending someone or breaching their 'human rights'! We live in a very sad World.

Not defending the joke just wondering about the reaction. If a fat bloke was standing in the door way and he said "won't be many refreshments left looking at him", is that a hate crime? The bloke might be really upset if he is self conscious about his weight.

Nick

Administrator
Not defending the joke just wondering about the reaction. If a fat bloke was standing in the door way and he said "won't be many refreshments left looking at him", is that a hate crime? The bloke might be really upset if he is self conscious about his weight.
I'd put that in the same way as a joke about weight, hair etc. It wasn't hatred racism.

chiefdave

How do Jim Davison or Chubby Brown go on tour? Surely they say worse stuff than that.

This outrage at everything these days does my head in. Not everything is designed to offend so just forget it and move on.

The Fury one is interesting. His comments & opinion seem to stem from his religious beliefs. So is the problem just that he said what others who follow the same religion are thinking? If we're having a go at him shouldn't the religion as a whole be looked at?

Macca

How do Jim Davison or Chubby Brown go on tour? Surely they say worse stuff than that.

This outrage at everything these days does my head in. Not everything is designed to offend so just forget it and move on.

The Fury one is interesting. His comments & opinion seem to stem from his religious beliefs. So is the problem just that he said what others who follow the same religion are thinking? If we're having a go at him shouldn't the religion as a whole be looked at?

I guess the likes of CB and JD are safe enough in that the audience know what to expect. Gazza has been naive to say the least but I'm not sure how it goes from that to him committing a "hate crime"

Nick

Administrator

Reggie Yates did an interesting documentary, get the views of Muslims on gay men. It's how they are brought up

rob9872

Fury entitled to his beliefs however disagreeable, gazza was only trying to be funny I'd be certain he didn't mean to offend even if that was the outcome, worse imo was itv news showing ainsley when lenny Henry was up for his knighthood. I've never found him particularly funny but done amazing charitable work and to get that so wrong is disgusting as was clearly intentional.

mechaishida

Here's an example for you: if the comedian Chris Rock (renowned for his anti-white jokes) had made that joke at a white security guard against a white backdrop, would he have been cited for racial hatred?

Chances are, probably not.

Racism and racial hatred are examples of a deep-seated hatred and or/prejudice against someone from a particular ethnic background, and to be fair, Gazza was just cracking a joke. Ok, it wasn't a particularly P.C one, but there was probably no malice behind it. Gazza has severe and prolonged depressive periods, bordering on manic depression, he's a terminal alcoholic and he's in a pretty shocking state. He's doing better it seems, but it can't be long afore another relapse.

The difference between a joke in poor taste and racial hatred should be discerned properly. Idiots out to make headlines and turn anything into racial hatred need their knackers wringing out, seriously.

dancers lance

Nothing a chicken some lager and a fishing rod won't solve
That has to go down as one of the funniest yet saddest things I have ever seen, Gazza being interviewed on Sky news over the phone (whilst driving/being driven) down to the scene, to have a beer, chat and go fishing.

clint van damme

a crass comment from an ignoramus but surely there are more important things from the police and CPS to be worrying?

Users who are viewing this thread