Gentleman's Hobbies...what, what... (1 Viewer)

mechaishida

As I'm hurtling towards 40 at breakneck speed, I've suddenly developed an interest in metal-detecting whilst chuffing through Castellan cigars...

Even a few years ago, this would not have appealed whatsoever.

Any of you chaps have any 'mid-life' hobbies that have suddenly appeared from nowhere?

chiefdave

Have you watched Detectorists on BBC4? Brilliant show, god knows why they've burried it at 10pm on a Thursday on BBC4.

chiefdave

And to answer your question Lego! I saw someone mention they did it to de-stress on a documentary and I thought I'd give it a go. It works!

If I could do that all day I wouldn't be stressed at all!

mechaishida

Have you watched Detectorists on BBC4? Brilliant show, god knows why they've burried it at 10pm on a Thursday on BBC4.

Well, it's been too deeply buried to get my attention, pardon the unintentional pun. I shall look into that show, mate, thanks for the referral. :)

Ah, yes, Lego therapy - I have an occasional fumble around with it when the kids are snoring and the missus is blanking out in front of Holby City or some other tripe. T'is very hard to stop once you start, isn't it? What do you make?

There's always a stray piece left on the floor though, so either the cat tries to choke himself on it or it ends up embedded an inch in my foot.

eastwoodsdustman

Started 'doing up' old mountain bikes about 6/7 years ago as something to do. I have about 8 at the minute with one current 'project' sat at work until i get some time and space.

Monners

Golf, strangling animals and masterbation - although I expect the interest in golf to wane at some stage!

Edit: On a more serious note - walking (have I spelt that right?) and cooking - although not at the same time.

Last edited:

Otis

I haven't changed at all in 20 years.

Clothes are now starting to smell a bit.

The only thing I have noticed is that I used to like horror films, but now really can't stand them much at all. Maybe it's stuff like Saw and Hostel. Do really like Walking Dead though.

chiefdave

Well, it's been too deeply buried to get my attention, pardon the unintentional pun. I shall look into that show, mate, thanks for the referral. :)

Series 2 started last week so will be on iplayer, Series 1 will be a itunes / DVD job I suspect.

Ah, yes, Lego therapy - I have an occasional fumble around with it when the kids are snoring and the missus is blanking out in front of Holby City or some other tripe. T'is very hard to stop once you start, isn't it? What do you make?

There's always a stray piece left on the floor though, so either the cat tries to choke himself on it or it ends up embedded an inch in my foot.

I've done a couple of the Star Wars kits, not up to doing bespoke stuff yet! The downside is the decent sized kits are bloody expensive.

Monners

Series 2 started last week so will be on iplayer, Series 1 will be a itunes / DVD job I suspect.

I've done a couple of the Star Wars kits, not up to doing bespoke stuff yet! The downside is the decent sized kits are bloody expensive.

Having a 9 year old lad helps. so well into the Lego.Unfortunately he makes it all himself now, so I have turned to Airfix kits (when I am not cooking and walking). The Bismarck is in dry dock now, and there is an excellent model shop in Northampton, so another trip beckons!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
The only thing I have noticed is that I used to like horror films, but now really can't stand them much at all. Maybe it's stuff like Saw and Hostel. Do really like Walking Dead though.

I'm exactly the same Otis! I used to love horror films! Used to hire all sorts when the old corner video shop was in existence. Now, when I see what I used to spend a quid on, I think "what the hell was I thinking? It's total garbage!" Oh, I also love WD as well. I'll be watching Series 6 Ep 4 later, (followed by The Blacklist Season 3 Ep 1.) Can't wait!
Further to this, I was really looking forward to Jekyl & Hyde which started on ITV on Sundays. Have to say, I am really disappointed with it. :(

olderskyblue

Shopping, and spending money.

tbf, it's my wife's hobby, not mine...

skybluetony176

Since having a wood burner fitted my latest hobby is chopping wood and collecting implements for doing it. You wouldn't believe how rewarding swinging an axe could be.

wingy

Being a little(well near20 yrs down the line) I found myself running.a Classic second car for five or six years, namely a 1990 SAAB 900 S Turbo classic, that went a couple.of yrs ago.
Now I find myself fixated on old toys, namely the best one I had about aged 8,specifically the Quercetti mach X Saturn capable of reaching 600ft.
I must have been a golden boy with the Old man at that time to get It competing with at least four siblings then.

Sick Boy

Since having a wood burner fitted my latest hobby is chopping wood and collecting implements for doing it. You wouldn't believe how rewarding swinging an axe could be.

My girlfriend's family have a little house deep in the Italian Dolomites that they use for a summer home. We ended up staying there for a week last year during the end of winter; the only source of heat was a wood burner. I have to agree that swinging an axe is somewhat rewarding.

Covstu

Started cycling about 4 years ago and got totally hooked. Meet some nice people and get to spend money on shiney new toys

Alkhen

I quite like a bit of lego to de-stress. my little lad is absolutely mental on it especially the minifigs. Which is great as it gives me an excuse to play too. But like you say some of the prices of the rarer ones are ridiculous especially if they come from big sets.

I don't usually go in for shady stuff but a while back a mate of mine turned me on to Aliexpress and the Hong Kong clone brands. not really looked back since. There are 'brands' of bootleg lego that are excellent quality and about a 3rd of the price. I get why collectors would turn their noses up at bootlegs but if it means I can spend an evening building the Avengers Tower for £21 rather than £59 i'll take it!.. also means I feel less bad when the kids inevitably trash it

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Supe..._61_74_75,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

johnwillomagic

Hmm I did not see it that way but joined a nine ball world rules pool team - play in various dives
around South London & Kent - got told this was my mid-life crisis by friends though!!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I quite like making fairy cakes now. :whistle:

Moff

I enjoy running, and a bit of cycling and off to start windsurfing in the spring.

Play golf to a crap standard, but my kids play so its good time with them, as well as being a football dad, CCFC, and the kids games.

shmmeee

And to answer your question Lego! I saw someone mention they did it to de-stress on a documentary and I thought I'd give it a go. It works!

If I could do that all day I wouldn't be stressed at all!

This!

It's sooo relaxing. I build Cinderella's Carriage last Christmas for my daughter and it's like zen. I've been picking up the odd Lego Architecture kit since then. If I had the cash I'd do one a night. One of my Mother-in-Laws is a trained Lego Play Practitioner and can't shut up about the educational and therapeutic benefits.

Apparently they are a decent investment as well, LEGO has outperfomed the FTSE over the last 10 years I read somewhere. Though then you can't play with them.

shmmeee

Find spot on your phone, locate spot and repeat..

Yeah but once you find the spot you have to find the hidden container and swap something out. My 5 year old loves it.

Not sure the woman I accidentally jumped out of a bush at on the canal was best pleased mind.

Users who are viewing this thread