Get that clown out of goal (2 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Even Moore didn't make those types of errors during his dodgy spell. They are basic. Absolute bread and butter for any professional keeper. Making one is bad enough but back to back games is very worrying. Although today's one didn't lead to a goal, it set the scene for calamitous defending.
He did assist one of the goals in the worst hat trick ever seen

NorthernWisdom

Some threads age poorly... this isn't one of them

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Some threads age poorly... this isn't one of them

Unlike Saddlebrains assertion that Robins couldn't wait to drop Wilson and would do at the first possible opportunity.

In all seriousness..

Wasn't it last season Wilson gave an interview where he said that last season was basically the first time he really believed he was a Championship goalkeeper? It suggests his confidence isn't actually all that, and a mistake or three is maybe worrying for his own belief in himself going forward.

steve101

If Collins has shown enough in training, then he should be starting v Stoke. Hopefully he is a lot better than he looked in pre-season and cup.

shepardo01

Said it in match thread;
His confidence is shot.
Handling errors, going for balls he doesn't need to and being glued to his line for most balls into the box this season.
Would advocate him having some time out, but not sure any of our back-ups are any better ...

NorthernWisdom

Would advocate him having some time out
Now, as much because I know you played at a certain level...(!)

But, is dropping a keeper better or worse for them? Does it fully trash their confidence, or give them a chance to regroup?

(I mean, I know everybody reacts differently to things anyway, so it's a kind of pointless qustion but hell, ain't they all!)

shepardo01

Now, as much because I know you played at a certain level...(!)

But, is dropping a keeper better or worse for them? Does it fully trash their confidence, or give them a chance to regroup?

(I mean, I know everybody reacts differently to things anyway, so it's a kind of pointless qustion but hell, ain't they all!)
If we had better, I'd be advocating him coming out of the team - based on being a CCFC fan and wanting the best... But we haven't.
I think he needs to be told this. (Privately)
He seems a confidence player, and I think our results and the shite Infront of him are affecting his performances.
Like I said, if he is playing well and keeping another keeper out, keep him in, which Robins did last year, and he grew from that.
There is no point in dropping him for an inferior keeper.... Stated in my previous post.

But.... Drop him - (personally feel he should have no complaints if he was!)... When he inevitably comes back in (due to quality of back up) he is under pressure to perform - that is when you can make poor/rash decisions that you may not make when not pressured by another keeper waiting in the wings.

Very tricky....

I was a confidence player and I think of a very similar mental state to Wilson... (On the pitch)
Being honest - I'd (me personally)feel under pressure now, I'd be hurting and disappointed with my performances. Sadly for me, this would result in more nervous performances until I put in a decent one.

Brighton Sky Blue

If we had better, I'd be advocating him coming out of the team - based on being a CCFC fan and wanting the best... But we haven't.
He seems a confidence player, and I think our results and the shite Infront of him are affecting his performances.
Like I said, if he is playing well and keeping another keeper out, keep him in, which Robins did last year, and he grew from that.
There is no point in dropping him for an inferior keeper.... Stated in my previous post.

But.... Drop him - (personally feel he should have no complaints if he was!)... When he inevitably comes back in (due to quality of back up) he is under pressure to perform - that is when you can make poor/rash decisions that you may not make when not pressured by another keeper waiting in the wings.

Very tricky....

I was a confidence player and I think of a very similar mental state to Wilson... (On the pitch)
Being honest - I'd (me personally)feel under pressure now, I'd be hurting and disappointed with my performances. Sadly for me, this would result in more nervous performances until I put in a decent one.
I feel that Wright and Simms will be the same. Very clearly introverts who will tend to internalise setbacks and carry that into their next performance which makes more mistakes more likely.

baldy

I feel that Wright and Simms will be the same. Very clearly introverts who will tend to internalise setbacks and carry that into their next performance which makes more mistakes more likely.

How do you possibly know that about them? I like how some posters feel they’re properly inside players heads

Happy_Martian

A keeper is only as good as the defenders in front of him. Wilson is a good shotstopper and has proved that this season but is struggling to make the correct decisions based on what his defenders are allowing through (WBA prime example: Defenders let the WBA striker have an attempt from 25yds, Wilson parries it (was it to strong to catch??) but he's then got 2 WBA strikers directly in front of him with only 1 defender for support). If they're messing up, his confidence in himself is so low, that he's just making any decision in the hope that it's the right one. And as Fernando and others have said in such delightful terms, he's failing in a similar way to Moore last season. Is he a clown ? Hell no. Is he low in confidence that is affecting his performances ? Yes, like most of the players that set up in front of him.

Frankly_Mr_Shankly

Very tricky....

Have you seen Collins play then?

Terry Gibson's perm

A lot are saying he is struggling because he has a bad defence in front of him (I am one) maybe they are struggling as they have no faith in the man behind them as the defenders have changed and we are still getting the same results.

Nick

Administrator
A lot are saying he is struggling because he has a bad defence in front of him (I am one) maybe they are struggling as they have no faith in the man behind them as the defenders have changed and we are still getting the same results.

They don't stop him from catching

Sick Boy

It’s gone from being him being one of the best keepers in the Championship and responsible for the clean sheets last season to him now not being able to make a difference either way as it’s all down to the defence.

TomRad85

It’s gone from being him being one of the best keepers in the Championship and responsible for the clean sheets last season to him now not being able to make a difference either way as it’s all down to the defence.
I hear Bobby Thomas has personally been smothering Wilsons gloves in butter before every game. Shocking if true.

Gint11

This prediction was predictably rubbish

Yeah I was wrong but based of history I was right. Glad Robins proved me wrong and can see the formation, line up and tactics haven’t been working.

Quite frankly, when was the last time he made unforced subs at half time?

martincov

Last season Wilson was good? with a confident and trusted defence in front of him. New players in defence this year yes. Has he suddenly become shit? Moore was ok , Collins is yet untried. when players lack confidence drop them! the 2nd choice cant do any worse can they? that is what competition for places is about! I would drop Wilson and try Collins, cant be any worse? It would give Collins chance to do it?
I know this is not keepers but there is a player that offers more than da silva, da silva has no attacking options as wing back or proper defending, to be honest for this this league he is a short arse with no muscle and until he produces then drop him. Bidewell while maybe not great does get in more attacking plays.

rob9872

I supported Wilson as I do Collins now. Some of the stuff spouted at Wilson about being lucky and how his clean sheets were down to defence or poor kicking could be thrown at Collins even yesterday, but the results are there and he rightly keeps his place. Long nay it continue.

Gint11

We’ve got 2 decent keepers for where we are at but keepers look and are so much better with a solid defence too. Collin’s has been good but it’s no coincidence the defense has improved at the same time, which is probably unlucky for Wilson.

slowpoke

Personally I think Collins is the better all round keeper of the two but if Wilson came back in for a reason injury suspension etc. wouldn’t bother me, looking ahead though should we progress to the big league top goalkeepers are a priority, they all have them some more than one. Not sure if our two are at that standard to be honest.

baldy

Personally I think Collins is the better all round keeper of the two but if Wilson came back in for a reason injury suspension etc. wouldn’t bother me, looking ahead though should we progress to the big league top goalkeepers are a priority, they all have them some more than one. Not sure if our two are at that standard to be honest.

Definitely not Premier standard

slowpoke

Neither is our squad, if we fluked promotion this season we would be mullered in the prem
You’re talking crap, you mean like Luton are ??. Do yourself a favour, there’s a good lad, get yourself a wine, put your feet up, put the Sound of Music on give, your head a wobble and enjoy the day and the rest of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread