Goalscorer (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Screams to me that when you play against a team that parks the bus you have to be clinical when you do get your chances. Also you have to have the striker that makes things happen in those circumstance and that way win more than you lose or draw.

I repeat the best strikers convert one in six chances - we create nothing like that most of the time. You seem to struggle with this.

Mucca Mad Boys

You're right of course and the statistics fully support that:
5 of our 17 goals have been in the first half (a 29%/71% split)
We've lead at half-time in just 4 of 16 matches (25%)

Robins clearly underestimated just how many teams would set up negatively against us this year and thought we'd be grinding teams down by HT, a tactic that has worked well against open teams. As I say above I think he's made some tweaks now that should help address the balance a bit.

One side stat to support our amazing defensive record too - we've not conceded an equaliser in the league all season. When we do go in front, we stay there - how amazing is that!

Again, kudos for digging up the statistics!

As frustrating as it is, I’d rather be dropping points to lower table teams at this point in the season. Firstly, because we there’s time to make tactical adjustments. Secondly, we’re beating potential rivals - this is promising. I looked at Portsmouth’s form last season, and they got off to a rather slow start, then things kicked on after game 15. The lack of goals at times is frustrating, but, I think in the long run, our dominant defence will be the best asset a team can have. We kept a clean sheet against the most dominant attack in the league! Also, we’ve beaten all the teams above us barring Accrington Stanley. This is the kind of thing that will serve you well as the season progresses.

I hope McNulty and Biamou crack on now they’ve got goals now and if any of our strikers hits form, with the right tactics, we’ll smash someone soon.

Ignore all the stats. Had we signed James Collins we’d be on double the goals scored and we’d have a 100% record too... haha

Esoterica

Again, kudos for digging up the statistics!

As frustrating as it is, I’d rather be dropping points to lower table teams at this point in the season. Firstly, because we there’s time to make tactical adjustments. Secondly, we’re beating potential rivals - this is promising. I looked at Portsmouth’s form last season, and they got off to a rather slow start, then things kicked on after game 15. The lack of goals at times is frustrating, but, I think in the long run, our dominant defence will be the best asset a team can have. We kept a clean sheet against the most dominant attack in the league! Also, we’ve beaten all the teams above us barring Accrington Stanley. This is the kind of thing that will serve you well as the season progresses.

I hope McNulty and Biamou crack on now they’ve got goals now and if any of our strikers hits form, with the right tactics, we’ll smash someone soon.

Ignore all the stats. Had we signed James Collins we’d be on double the goals scored and we’d have a 100% record too... haha
I think the defining period will be the 7 games mid January to mid February. The fixtures look very daunting versus the current league table (which I acknowledge will change a bit) where we play every single team around us bar Notts County.

Jan 13th Exeter (A) 4th
Jan 20th Swindon (H) 5th
Jan 27th Wycombe (A) 7th
Feb 3rd Forest Green (A) 20th but failed to score against and beat us at home
Feb 10th Accrington (H) 2nd
Feb 13th Colchester (A) 13th but failed to score against at home
Feb 17th Luton (H) 3rd

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I think the defining period will be the 7 games mid January to mid February. The fixtures look very daunting versus the current league table (which I acknowledge will change a bit) where we play every single team around us bar Notts County.

Jan 13th Exeter (A) 4th
Jan 20th Swindon (H) 5th
Jan 27th Wycombe (A) 7th
Feb 17th Luton (H) 3rd
We'll be ok , Mark Robins will have a new striker in by then , that’s the impression he's give come the transfer window .

dongonzalos

We'll be ok , Mark Robins will have a new striker in by then , that’s the impression he's give come the transfer window .

Robins has acknowledged the strikers are the problem. So he will be trying his best to rectify that in January.
Let’s hope he manages it.
That is of course unless Ponti continues with his form on the bigger stage.

Gazolba

I repeat the best strikers convert one in six chances - we create nothing like that most of the time. You seem to struggle with this.
But how do you define 'a chance'?
A penalty is the only definite chance, and people even miss those. A free-kick near goal is probably a chance. A free kick further way is a chance of a chance. A corner-kick is definitely a chance of a chance.
Excellent strikers will score when there isn't even a chance or they will make their own chances.
Lesser strikers (pretty much all of L1 and L2) in my opinion should score about one in six but that depends on how difficult the chance is.
I think every chance has to be assessed individually. And hopefully Robins does this by reviewing the tapes of games with his players.

dongonzalos

I don’t really struggle with it, I just don’t give it much credence because it’s simplistic and incorrect.
You need to look far far more in depth if you are going to look at statistics.

Swindon for example have had identical shots on target as us this season.
Out of those same amount of shots on target. They have scored 7 more goals.
We both have the same ratios within an average game of
4.5 shots on target per game.
Luke Norris has played 14 games and scored 7 goals.

It’s seems highly unlikely that every chance is going to him. I appreciate there will be chances that don’t lead to a shot on target.
Most decent chances, that people in here are saying our strikers do not get should lead to a shot on target.
People will then talk about us shooting from distance. However remember this is shots on target that force the keeper to save.
Swindon is just one example as it was the team with identical shots on target to us there are many many other examples.
Other strikers are not needing six good chances to get a goal.

Esoterica

Robins has acknowledged the strikers are the problem. So he will be trying his best to rectify that in January.
Let’s hope he manages it.
That is of course unless Ponti continues with his form on the bigger stage.
You're just twisting a couple of speculative CT stories to fit your own narrative and then speaking as if it's on Robins' behalf - psychological projection we call it, specifically the false consensus effect. Overstating and overestimating a belief or preference to the point you believe it's a consensus, like you think you have with Robins.
Before the Luton game Robins said 'If you end up with a player or two in the team that end up wanting to do it all and trying to make things happen for themselves then it detracts from everyone and we have to become a team again'. And what did he do next? Benched Nazon, our top goalscorer and against the league leaders, in favour of McNulty and Ponticelli. Nazon who you were shown several gifs for who was ignoring players in much better positions than himself to score. McNulty is a good striker who has played less than 900 minutes=10 games this season with an injury lay off in the middle. He's plenty good enough for this team if the tactics are right.

stupot07

I don’t really struggle with it, I just don’t give it much credence because it’s simplistic and incorrect.
You need to look far far more in depth if you are going to look at statistics.

Swindon for example have had identical shots on target as us this season.
Out of those same amount of shots on target. They have scored 7 more goals.
We both have the same ratios within an average game of
4.5 shots on target per game.
Luke Norris has played 14 games and scored 7 goals.

It’s seems highly unlikely that every chance is going to him. I appreciate there will be chances that don’t lead to a shot on target.
Most decent chances, that people in here are saying our strikers do not get should lead to a shot on target.
People will then talk about us shooting from distance. However remember this is shots on target that force the keeper to save.
Swindon is just one example as it was the team with identical shots on target to us there are many many other examples.
Other strikers are not needing six good chances to get a goal.
A shot on target doesn't equate to a shot that tests the keeper. There is a huge difference from a keeper saving a 1-1 against a 25 yard tame get grasscutter straight at the keeper that just rolls into his hands.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dongonzalos

I now await the classic you were not at most of the matches, so your opinion doesn’t count line.
Must admit I smiled last night whilst listening to the radio. A Southampton fan had rang up regarding Jack Cork’s inclusion in the England squad. He was raving about what an amazing player Cork is and that he should be in the first 11 even if everyone available to Southgate.
He was asked why then did Southampton get rid of him.
The reply was the manager didn’t fancy him and instead preferred Wanyama. Who is a shocking player and an absolute liability.
When it pointed out that Cork ended up at Burnley and Wanyama at Spurs. He said that the sole reason Burnley are where they are is because of signing Cork.
When he was challenged over his opinion. His simple reply to the presenter was I have watched more Southampton games than you. So I know what I am talking about better than you.

stupot07

You're just twisting a couple of speculative CT stories to fit your own narrative and then speaking as if it's on Robins' behalf - psychological projection we call it, specifically the false consensus effect. Overstating and overestimating a belief or preference to the point you believe it's a consensus, like you think you have with Robins.
Before the Luton game Robins said 'If you end up with a player or two in the team that end up wanting to do it all and trying to make things happen for themselves then it detracts from everyone and we have to become a team again'. And what did he do next? Benched Nazon, our top goalscorer and against the league leaders, in favour of McNulty and Ponticelli. Nazon who you were shown several gifs for who was ignoring players in much better positions than himself to score. McNulty is a good striker who has played less than 900 minutes=10 games this season with an injury lay off in the middle. He's plenty good enough for this team if the tactics are right.
Yep. On the post match interview on cwr after the Colchester game he bemoaned Nazon for continuing to shoot from "40 yards" and Jones trying to take on the whole team.

dongonzalos

Robins quotes...

“So I have to be careful with them because I feel those chances are there to be taken and we haven’t done it.”

“But in all fairness, 26 shots and no goals is a poor return. Regardless, the more that we dwell on it then the more it will become an issue. We just want the players to relax and it will not be an issue that lasts forever.”

“I’m really disappointed and frustrated because in the cold light of day we have created a lot of opportunities to score and not done it again,”

“We have to relax, work hard, but relax because it looks like we are trying to score the perfect goal. We had some good balls into the box and good contact and when their goalkeeper has made good saves we’ve had poor contact on the ball.
We had 24 shots on goal but it’s a difficult period, so we need to make sure we stick together and don’t over-react and move on.”

“We played some decent stuff at times despite the conditions, and created some good chances as well as the goals.”

“We had some really good chances, their keeper has kept them in the game and made a number of saves in the second half that kept the score down.

“We created a lot of opportunities and we are starting to look like a team that can create chances at will.

“I think it could have been 4-2 to us and we would have been talking about a different game, but we missed chances and were denied by saves by their goalkeeper.

In this article he talks about them growing up and scoring goals and not snatching at chances....

EatSleepSport

Then this regarding the January transfer window

“He’s not our player so it’s difficult but yes, we’d like to keep hold of him,” said the manager.

“But I want to do other business as well.”

I am sure some will disagree but my money is in that other business been a striker if possible and a replacement for Tony if possible.
Depending if course on who goes out abd the form of Ponti.

Nick

Administrator
I now await the classic you were not at most of the matches, so your opinion doesn’t count line.
Must admit I smiled last night whilst listening to the radio. A Southampton fan had rang up regarding Jack Cork’s inclusion in the England squad. He was raving about what an amazing player Cork is and that he should be in the first 11 even if everyone available to Southgate.
He was asked why then did Southampton get rid of him.
The reply was the manager didn’t fancy him and instead preferred Wanyama. Who is a shocking player and an absolute liability.
When it pointed out that Cork ended up at Burnley and Wanyama at Spurs. He said that the sole reason Burnley are where they are is because of signing Cork.
When he was challenged over his opinion. His simple reply to the presenter was I have watched more Southampton games than you. So I know what I am talking about better than you.

No, you will probably be asked about things that have happened in our games and context. You will probably ignore it and post random things from the telegraph to suit that don't really explain anything, while other people name in detail situations from matches, the context and give you screenshots of exactly what they mean with arrows to point it out.

Nick

Administrator
A shot on target doesn't equate to a shot that tests the keeper. There is a huge difference from a keeper saving a 1-1 against a 25 yard tame get grasscutter straight at the keeper that just rolls into his hands.

That's the thing isn't it, it's easy for people to not watch games and then go off a shots stat not realising most of them were half arsed attempts that haven't troubled the keeper in the slightest.

Opposition teams will love for us to take 10 shots a game from 40 yards, as soon as we get in behind their full backs and cut a ball back across they will be shitting themselves. We have looked very dangerous when we actually do that recently, we just don't do it enough.

Mucca Mad Boys

Jan 13th Exeter (A) 4th
Jan 20th Swindon (H) 5th
Jan 27th Wycombe (A) 7th
Feb 17th Luton (H) 3rd

That could be a key point in the season, but there’s always a few important phases in the season. I do think beating Luton 3-0 will be a turning point. Barnsley won the playoffs and were bottom over Xmas the year we bottled it. All it takes is a positive run to build momentum - it’s been a bit stop start at times this season, and MR’s 1st season too...

At the minute, come January, we don’t really ‘need’ anything if we secure Nazon’s extension. If there’s funds available - and from MR’s recent comments, I think there will be - I’d go for a striker and perhaps a midfielder. But this is to strengthen the squad as I don’t think we really ‘need’ anyone.

dongonzalos

That could be a key point in the season, but there’s always a few important phases in the season. I do think beating Luton 3-0 will be a turning point. Barnsley won the playoffs and were bottom over Xmas the year we bottled it. All it takes is a positive run to build momentum - it’s been a bit stop start at times this season, and MR’s 1st season too...

At the minute, come January, we don’t really ‘need’ anything if we secure Nazon’s extension. If there’s funds available - and from MR’s recent comments, I think there will be - I’d go for a striker and perhaps a midfielder. But this is to strengthen the squad as I don’t think we really ‘need’ anyone.

Where do you think we will finish if we stay exactly as we are?

Mucca Mad Boys

Where do you think we will finish if we stay exactly as we are?

Well, considering we’ve beaten all the above us, bar one, and we’ve got the best defence in the (football) league, I think automatic promotion is a realistic target, playoffs the absolute minimum.

The evidence has been laid out to you pal. We need tinker tactically against lower league teams as opposed to wholesale changes to personnel.

dongonzalos

Well, considering we’ve beaten all the above us, bar one, and we’ve got the best defence in the (football) league, I think automatic promotion is a realistic target, playoffs the absolute minimum.

The evidence has been laid out to you pal. We need tinker tactically against lower league teams as opposed to wholesale changes to personnel.

I agree the evidence is laid out very clear pal. As we are, we have managed to get 6th place.
We will get there or there about a if we stay as we are personel wise, unless of course Ponti is ready.
This side could be top three with the right Hanuary signing. Just the one is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread