Great individual performances (1 Viewer)

Colonel Mustard

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Chris Whyte!

34 year old journeyman defender. Drafted in on loan to cover a depleted defence. Played one game for CCFC, against a brilliant Blackburn team at the time (Shearer 'n' all), and we hammered them 5-0 with an orange ball.

Nonleagueherewecome

From a defensive angle I can remember a few vintage performances from Lloyd McGrath. I remember him getting the better of Bryan Robson at Old Trafford in the mid 80's when if I remember right Robson damaged his shoulder for the first time when McGrath charged him into the railings at the Stretford End. There was also a Christmas game against Spurs when Gazza couldn't take the close marking and broke his arm trying to punch McGrath in frustration. Lastly near the end of his time with us I remember him playing full back and in successive weeks faced the new wonderkids at Liverpool and Man U, McManaman and Giggs. Both were tackled into the stands early on and didn't pose a threat from then on and we kept two clean sheets.

GOD yes. That was one of my favourite games as a kid and Gazza was so wound up, that he literally broke his arm hitting Lloyd. THAT'S how nails Lloyd was! My only memory of the Robson one was of it being reported on Grandstand that he'd hurt his neck on the railings, which for a kid conjoured up all sorts of images of him having his neck stuck between them and having the fire brigade called. Was it against us? I'd forgotten that!

jaymo132

Showing my age here...But Hutchison's performance against Arsenal at Highbury circa 1973 was out of this world. Capped it with a goal when he took on and beat half the Arsenal team.
Oh for someone like him today...

WestEndAgro

Steve Livingstone ran riot against our beloved Sunderland in the littlewoods cup.

steveecov

And just before Hutch, QUINTON YOUNG. Remember him dribbling all the way back from west end to kop, beating about 6 players and then passing BACK to keeper (possibly Glazier). Think he went to Rangers just after this.

FRY-CCFC

The stellar performance by Guillaume Beuzelin against Blackpool in 08-09. One of the best CMs I've seen play for the club. Unplayable on his day.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Evening chaps
I always thought beuzalin was a great player

Alan Dugdale

Yes, better than Mortimer, Carr, Powell, Yorath, Blair, Daly, Hunt, Francis, McGrath, Gynn, Phillips, Speedie, Robson, McAllister, Boateng etc. What were we thinking??

Don't think Quinten Young played many matches for us.I was at that game and remember it well. Over the years never come across anyone else who's mentioned it so was begining to think I imagined that crazy dribble.

SBT

I swear Lee Mills looked like an early prototype of Didier Drogba during his loan spell. We were howling for the board to sign him on a permanent deal. Oh well!

derbyskyblue

john barnes for liverpool, they stuffed us 4-1 at hr, that day he was on a different level.....and fergie against man city, 4-2 fergie hat trick, again different level, will i ever see those days again.......

SkyBlueM

Along similar lines Paolo Di Canio for West Ham at Highfield Road, they were three up inside 15 minutes or so - he was unplayable.

LastGarrison

Stephen Hughes when he went in goal against Stoke (I think).

Clayton fucking Ince for Crewe had at least two blinding performances against us which must have gone towards us signing him.........where he was distinctly average.

Joy Division

David Thompson vs Manchester City at home in a 4-3 win. Completely dominated the central midfield and scored a couple too I think.

Craig Hignett vs Derby County at home. Won 3-0 I think and scored a cracking goal (as did McAllister), bossed the midfield and looked a great player for his age, he played well throughout his loan spell but ended up joining Blackburn instead of us. Got a few injuries and he career petered out.

stupot07

I'm surprised one of john fleck's numerous roy of the rovers performances haven't been put forward....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Chipfat

john barnes for liverpool, they stuffed us 4-1 at hr, that day he was on a different level.....and fergie against man city, 4-2 fergie hat trick, again different level, will i ever see those days again.......

Most will disagree but Barnes was one of the best english club players of his era,, up in Liverpool they would say he is in an all time Pool team of past and present day..Him Dalglish are legends and i would have to agree seen them both many times play at HR and twice at Anfield,, different level than most...

lordsummerisle

Indeed. McEnroe was a wonderful player in his day.

Always thought he was woeful, received the ball, sloooowly turn attempting to do a 180 degree turn and have the ball taken off him at around the 45 degree mark.

Somebody on GMK at the tiime(probably Ginetta), suggested that he should be playing for Barcelona.

Users who are viewing this thread