Great pic at Highfield road - was it you ? (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Saw this on fb and l thought brilliant - bit early for my time as a fan but we did stand on the Kop when I first came to Coventry View attachment 28232

Few fellas in suits, wondering it was the Friday night league game against Oxford in 87?
Plenty turned up suited and booted ready for hitting the nightclubs later on!

SkyBlueCharlie9

Worked those turnstiles as a steward in 80s. Number of people who climbed over stiles or tried to bribe way in was unbelievable. Bunch of tight gits us cov fans..... but then again I got paid to watch the City !!!

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Looks like the Mercer's in the background so that would be the one right on the corner of Thackhall Street and Swan Lane.We use to stand on the wooden part right on the end of the kop.Had a great view of the pattern of play.You beat me to it "Brylowes"

Legia Sky Blue

Worked those turnstiles as a steward in 80s. Number of people who climbed over stiles or tried to bribe way in was unbelievable. Bunch of tight gits us cov fans..... but then again I got paid to watch the City !!!

Hope you weren't the guy that would open one of the gates at 2:50 to let some of the Bell Green lads in, about 1989 time. Ended badly though when instead of letting about 8 in as planned another 50+ opportunists followed and the guy got sacked on the spot.

Brylowes

Looks like the Mercer's in the background so that would be the one right on the corner of Thackhall Street and Swan Lane.We use to stand on the wooden part right on the end of the kop.Had a great view of the pattern of play.You beat me to it "Brylowes"
The mad wooden structure (the crows nest) would have been directly up above where this photo was taken from, I think.

MTK

The person taking the photo must be standing on Swan Lane just before the turn into Thackhall Street. Definitely the Mercers in the background. I was probably watching the crowd from our house on Mowbray Street, wondering where everyone was going and wanting to go too. Then I did, and today I’m still going 50+ years later to see us play Huddersfield Town 💙

SkyBlueCharlie9

Hope you weren't the guy that would open one of the gates at 2:50 to let some of the Bell Green lads in, about 1989 time. Ended badly though when instead of letting about 8 in as planned another 50+ opportunists followed and the guy got sacked on the spot.
Wasn't me m'lord.

Torquay Sky Blue

I remember late 80's knowing a guy who worked the turnstiles. We used to all queue up where he was working . The old bill would try and move us to an empty line but know one budged . This little arrangement worked out fine until he got greedy and let a load of Sfeff Utd fans into the same area of the main stand and it kicked off

Calista

Great picture. Yes the crow’s nest would be high up in that corner. Stood up there for years, can still see it all in my mind’s eye.

Looks like it was 4/6d (four shillings and sixpence) for an adult, which is 22p so it was well worth climbing over the wall to avoid paying ;)
2/6d for kids = 12p.

Kneeza

Great picture. Yes the crow’s nest would be high up in that corner. Stood up there for years, can still see it all in my mind’s eye.

Looks like it was 4/6d (four shillings and sixpence) for an adult, which is 22p so it was well worth climbing over the wall to avoid paying ;)
2/6d for kids = 12p.
4 shillings and 6.4 pence.
Never forget the point-four of a penny 😉

Calista

Wasn't it the Wolves game in 1966?
That's very plausible, because it would be rare for photos to be taken outside the ground like that, and even rarer (in my experience) for people to be climbing over walls. The enormity of that game would explain both.

Edit: 1967 I believe. I'm in nit-picking mode this afternoon ;)

Last edited:

Kneeza

That's very plausible, because it would be rare for photos to be taken outside the ground like that, and even rarer (in my experience) for people to be climbing over walls. The enormity of that game would explain both.

Edit: 1967 I believe. I'm in nit-picking mode this afternoon ;)
They shoulda got there earlier. Me and my mate were near the front of the queue for the covered end long before the gates opened.

Users who are viewing this thread