Greatest Sportsman ? (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Ah so. Blitish. Memory not so good. Forgotten first post already!

jimmyhillsfanclub

This also very much depends on the definition of "sportsman".......are we talking about all-rounders or folks that excel in a single specific event/discipline.

I seem to remember when I was kid, Daley Thompson at one point in time, had the British seasons best 100m, long jump, pole vault & obviously the decathlete......surely that takes some beating.

Botham, on his day, was unplayable with both bat & ball in cricket, but he also played professional football (briefly) for Scunthorpe & was a top class scratch golfer.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Edit......just checked & Botham used to play off 2, but now plays off 9, so no longer a scratch golfer, but still better than most.

CCFC88

Not sure Murray would even be the top tennis player. Fred Perry would give him a good run for that. Although very difficult to compare the eras.

I dont really think you can bring Fred Perry into the conversation, everything about the sport that he played is so far removed from the sport we have today. Tennis was a hobby for most in the 1930's FP's record shows that he played a total of 118 competitive matches in his "career", Murray plays about 70 a year. Murray has made it to 11 (and counting) slam finals compared to FP's 10, baring in mind that in Perry's day some slams only had players from two countries in them!

A great of his era yes, but compared to Murray there is a distance between them.

Otis

that's like saying Portugal only won the euros because Germany got knocked out, you can't win it if everyone else doesn't get knocked out!

Having said that, I'd go Steve Redgrave, amazing achievements in a really tough sport.
Yeah, I get that. You can only beat what's in front of you, totally agree.

Just think it went all OTT as soon as he win his second Wimbledon, declaring Britain's greatest ever sportsman and I think in all likelihood had Novak not been knocked out he would have beaten Murray.

Seems this greatest ever has come on the back of this second win.

CCFC88

Just think it went all OTT as soon as he win his second Wimbledon, declaring Britain's greatest ever sportsman and I think in all likelihood had Novak not been knocked out he would have beaten Murray.

I think its more his consistency that has brought the "greatest ever" statements, a lot of people can fluke their way to a grand slam, Cillic in the US a couple of years ago. He now has 3 grand slams, an Olympics title, a Davis Cup title and 34 ATP titles.

Im not saying he is the greatest but he should certainly be considdered, the fact that it is now seen as a dissapointment if he doesnt make a grand slam final on all surfaces says it all after the 2 British finalists in 40 years of open era that preceeded him.

Otis

I think its more his consistency that has brought the "greatest ever" statements, a lot of people can fluke their way to a grand slam, Cillic in the US a couple of years ago. He now has 3 grand slams, an Olympics title, a Davis Cup title and 34 ATP titles.

Im not saying he is the greatest but he should certainly be considdered, the fact that it is now seen as a dissapointment if he doesnt make a grand slam final on all surfaces says it all after the 2 British finalists in 40 years of open era that preceeded him.
He clearly shouldn't be considered, because he is Scottish.

clint van damme

that's why I'd go for Redgrave, was not just best British rower but the best in the world. Murrays done brilliantly but he's 2nd to a better player.

Otis

that's why I'd go for Redgrave, was not just best British rower but the best in the world. Murrays done brilliantly but he's 2nd to a better player.
Yep, exactly.

Has to be someone who has conquered on the world stage and been number one in the world and best in the world I think.

stupot07

Good thread BTW....

I assume this is British sportspeople? I think its difficult for team sports to pick out individuals on this type of thing. Ryan Giggs has won everything in the domestic game but equally that was part of a quality team.
I think Andy Murray is fantastic and has the potential to be a 'great' but has more to prove but again in the era of three arguably better players which is basically unheard of.

Cycling - Both Froome and Wiggins were (and are) great cyclists but are in a team in endless funds that have a substantial advantage over the rest of the peloton. Louis Hamilton is in a car that is head and shoulders over the rest of the grid.

If I had to pick two it would be Hoy and Redgrave but I have no basis on why I have picked those two only that they have pulled it out of the bag consistently for years and years.
Don't forget Cavendish, second most race wins at the TDF. Thats an amazing achievement too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stupot07

Lewis Hamilton? Carl Foggerty? Lennox Lewis? Victoria Pendleton? Laura Trott?

CCFC88

Hamilton just drives a faster car than everyone else, he's racing one person every week.

Lennox Lewis is a fair sout although some would say someone who represented Canada at the Olympics shouldnt be classed as Britians greatest sportsman.

Pendleton, Trott. Hoy and Wiggins both won more Olmpic and World golds.

jimmyhillsfanclub

If you're gonna factor in longevity, you'd have to consider Ryan Giggs to.....

played top level club football for best part of quarter of a century & won every single pot available numerous times...

rob9872

Good call on Clazaghe.

In terms of what it means to me personally I would say Dion, but I think Gazza (massive waste of talent) was awesome at times, and I think Ronnie O for another with natural ability, but for work rate, performing under enormous pressure and out on his own, then Murray has to be up there.

Redgrave was amazing at what he did, but rowing is not something many of us outside Henley or Oxbridge give much time to, so I'm not sure he is worthy as if other athletes were doing that instead of running, swimming or cycling, then they may have prevented some of that success. Great competitor in a smaller pool of participants.

Also whoever said about Beckham getting knighted, I think he deserves it. Not for footballing ability, but was the most capped outfield player, massive efforts with the Olympic bid, role model in healthy clean living and the ambassadorial work he does with the game not just here, but all around the world. So much charity work and not just because he has to but seems to genuinely care, particularly when kids are involved. Far more deserving than many imo, but he does seem an easy target for people to have a go at.

jimmyhillsfanclub

....of course fucking your brothers wife is not exactly sporting behaviour....

....scratch the low-life from the list....

rob9872

....of course fucking your brothers wife is not exactly sporting behaviour....

....scratch the low-life from the list....

If that was your sister-in-law you wouldn't be saying that :)

Terry Gibson's perm

Good call on Clazaghe.

In terms of what it means to me personally I would say Dion, but I think Gazza (massive waste of talent) was awesome at times, and I think Ronnie O for another with natural ability, but for work rate, performing under enormous pressure and out on his own, then Murray has to be up there.

Redgrave was amazing at what he did, but rowing is not something many of us outside Henley or Oxbridge give much time to, so I'm not sure he is worthy as if other athletes were doing that instead of running, swimming or cycling, then they may have prevented some of that success. Great competitor in a smaller pool of participants.

Also whoever said about Beckham getting knighted, I think he deserves it. Not for footballing ability, but was the most capped outfield player, massive efforts with the Olympic bid, role model in healthy clean living and the ambassadorial work he does with the game not just here, but all around the world. So much charity work and not just because he has to but seems to genuinely care, particularly when kids are involved. Far more deserving than many imo, but he does seem an easy target for people to have a go at.

That was me Rob, Beckham does nothing that doesn't help brand Beckham and keeps him and her in the limelight, do sky not okay him a mountain of cash to help kids?

stupot07

Hamilton just drives a faster car than everyone else, he's racing one person every week.

Lennox Lewis is a fair sout although some would say someone who represented Canada at the Olympics shouldnt be classed as Britians greatest sportsman.

Pendleton, Trott. Hoy and Wiggins both won more Olmpic and World golds.
Across the major championships (Olympics, worlds, euros and Commonwealth) laura trott has already won more gold medals (20) than hoy (19) and she's only 24 and also road races. She's also v hot! ;)

CCFC88

Across the major championships (Olympics, worlds, euros and Commonwealth) laura trott has already won more gold medals (20) than hoy (19) and she's only 24 and also road races. She's also v hot! ;)

10 of those golds at europeans though which Hoy has never taken seriously, but I take your point

rob9872

Not that I'm aware of TGP but that doesn't mean they don't, just not heard it before. I think we'll have to disagree on this one though mate as I'm often the biggest cynic and it might appear I've been duped here as I honestly believe him to be one of life's nice guys. Now his wife on the other hand ....

Grendel

There is a lot of churlishness around Murray and his achievements.

Why he's considered the greatest is because he has mastered tennis a sport which has no interest in the uk, no pedigree and no heritage so it's had to be achieved against enormous odds.

I would dismiss amateur sports as they have no consistent level of competition and no professional rivalry. I'd dismiss those who need a horse and certainly those who drive a car.

It's a pointless argument in a way but to deny he isn't one of the greatest is as I say churlish. It's funny mentioning Redgrave. Replace him and the team would still do well - take Murray out the Davis Cup and well....

Terry Gibson's perm

Not that I'm aware of TGP but that doesn't mean they don't, just not heard it before. I think we'll have to disagree on this one though mate as I'm often the biggest cynic and it might appear I've been duped here as I honestly believe him to be one of life's nice guys. Now his wife on the other hand ....

He is working for sky for virtually free just the £20 million over 5 years ;).

His missus is horrible

asiaskyblues

As someone said it depends on the era you are from.

Daley Thompson is for me the greatest ever athlete, followed by Lester Piggott (I didn't care much for horse racing but he was a larger than life character) and Wiggins for beating the french in their own back yard.
For women I thing the great Mary Peters

bringbackrattles

I was talking to an elderly chap on my window round today about who's our greatest ever sportsman ? And it came as no surprise when we disagreed on our choices. He had Stanley Matthews as best ever footballer,I had Bobby Charlton.Best boxer he had Henry Cooper,I went for Calzaghe.Cricketer he chose Boycott,I go for Botham. But for overall greatest sportsman he chose Stanley Matthews as he was a gentleman,and the best player he'd ever seen. And to him how someone acts on and off the pitch sums up greatness.

Gaz71

It's got to be Max Woosnam

Maxwell "Max" Woosnam (6 September 1892 – 14 July 1965) was an English sportsman who is sometimes referred to as the 'Greatest British sportsman' in recognition of his achievements.[3][4]

Among his achievements were winning an Olympic gold and silver in tennis at the 1920 Summer Olympics, winning the doubles at Wimbledon, compiling a 147 break in Snooker, making a century at Lord's Cricket Ground, captaining the British Davis Cup team, captaining Manchester City F.C. finishing ultimately runners-up for the Football League Championship in 1920–21 and captaining the England national football team.

asiaskyblues

God how could we forget? We had one of the greatest sportsman the world has ever seen in our fair city. I talk of my childhood hero Ole Olsen

Users who are viewing this thread