Guess the year? (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

I guess kids are like it now too, but back in the 70s I seemed to know squads of all the other teams too. Looking back names are familiar no matter who they played for. Nowadays I don't even know who plays for us most of the time.

ProfessorbyGrace

Even as someone who grew up in the 80’s, I’d say I know 80% of the players on that top scorer section.

Mostly from Danny Baker’s own goals and gaffs videos, and some obscure VHS tapes of old matches that my step dad somehow got hold of.

No sign of 'The Vile' - which is lovely. Wish they were back in the 3rd Division, where they were in my formatitive years. Possibly one of reasons why I hate their 'entitled' fans so much.

RegTheDonk

I guess kids are like it now too, but back in the 70s I seemed to know squads of all the other teams too. Looking back names are familiar no matter who they played for. Nowadays I don't even know who plays for us most of the time.
Can't speak for others but perhaps it's because like me you'd watch MOTD and Star Soccer as the weekly treat and take interest. Saturation these days with highlights on deamand, loads of live games, I don't really bother. Watch the odd championship game but haven't followed the PL since we were relegated, couldn't name more than half a dozen top players.

Oh and genuinely, would have guessed 72.

Legia Sky Blue

I think it was easier to remember players from back then because they stayed with teams for longer. Squad rotation was not a thing and most teams had a recognisable first XI. I reckon I could still have a good bash at naming the players from almost any team that was playing in the old Division 1 in the 70's from 72/73 onwards, even though its 50 years ago now. Alternatively I would struggle to name 11 players from most current PL teams. Another contributory factor which helped were football cards, which were a big thing back then.

Users who are viewing this thread