Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (10 Viewers)

biggymania

I think Vik got better over his time here but agree in his early days he often scuffed it. I genuinely think though Wright's movement is better and he's more naturally gets into goalscoring positions. Vik was previously a winger and didn't always behave like a striker would.

Wright gets on the end of chances, Vik makes more chances of his own, Vik creates more chances than 98% of other forwards!

Vik overperforms his xG whilst Wright is underperforming his.
I also think Vik is striking the ball much better now at Sporting, because he is surrounded by really high quality players who are giving him balls at just the right pace and angle. Vik would often snatch at strikes or look off balance.

If you think about how we played last season - a lot of countering and with less quality all over the pitch than we have today - I think Vik was even better than we saw. Wright is benefitting from some great service from some really great passes too from the likes of Sakamoto.

JimmyHillsbeard

Anyone surprised by how well Gyökeres is doing in Portugal wasn’t paying attention for the last 2.5 years. His improvement while with us was incredible - and each time he was set a higher test he passed it easily. As some of us said at the time playing at a higher level (with better protection from the referees, and VAR to expose the number of holding fouls committed on him) would only increase his impact.

djr8369

Anyone surprised by how well Gyökeres is doing in Portugal wasn’t paying attention for the last 2.5 years. His improvement while with us was incredible - and each time he was set a higher test he passed it easily. As some of us said at the time playing at a higher level (with better protection from the referees, and VAR to expose the number of holding fouls committed on him) would only increase his impact.
Yeah he did what he did here with two championship defenders hanging off him.

skybluecam

To be fair the Portuguese league is pretty shit outside of the big 3.

Ruben Lameiras has carved out a decent career there despite never playing higher than league one in England.

Ccfcisparks

He plays for the club bottom of the league now and has been on the bench for them - if he wanted to come back to England imagine he’ll be struggling to get a top L1 club.
It wasn’t a suggested signing.

just an observation his style of football would suit us now rather than some of the shite we played when he was here

shmmeee

Wouldn’t be surprised if he got a niggle. Played 26 times this season last three in Turkey were 29, 32, 28. Do they have a winter breaknover there?

AJB1983

We’ve had a few adductor issues this season, some worse than others. Palmer and Van Ewijk were weren’t they, and Sheaf? Or was that his calf?
anyway, good he’s ok. Hopefully the rest this week will help him ready for Leicester.

JulianDarbyFTW

This is one of the weirdest tables I've seen, but Haji Wright (5th) and Tatsuhiro Sakamota (15th) are supposedly 2 of the top 20 Championship players who increase the chances of goals for their team.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240105_184906_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240105_184906_X.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 76

Gibbo

Even by the standards of the world's most fickle people, football fans, I find the wild change in appreciation for Wright from complete dud to absolutely essential and his absence liable to cost us the game, all with a month or so, just jaw dropping. I am no talent spotter (quite the reverse) but even as early as the game against Watford you could see what he was capable of

Mr Panda

Even by the standards of the world's most fickle people, football fans, I find the wild change in appreciation for Wright from complete dud to absolutely essential and his absence liable to cost us the game, all with a month or so, just jaw dropping. I am no talent spotter (quite the reverse) but even as early as the game against Watford you could see what he was capable of

Hell, you could see it in his first moments during the first game against Leicester!

SlowerThanPlatt

Remember when a poster on here said he looked like he had no passion for the game and was only playing because he couldn't get into American sports teams at school - hahaha.

Lao Tzu Philosophy GIF by Berggruen Institute

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread