Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (5 Viewers)

usskyblue

...because the alternative is so much better ?
giphy.gif

Calista

Also, if there is one thing Haji is definitely not, and that is adversarial. He has been loved everywhere he has played and is a really nice dude as far as I know.
Unless I'm much mistaken, this is the first time we've ever had a dude playing for us.

Grendel

Certainly a concern

I think I’d have taken simms off instead of Haji today.
In all truth I probably would’ve brought Godden on for Allen and making runs in from deep between the two big lads.

SeaSeeEffCee

I feel bad because he seems like a nice guy but god, how did we spend £8m on him? A few sparse flashes aside he looks completely useless.

shmmeee

Not even useless. It all looks mental. He can do stuff. He just doesn’t try. Looks like he’s completely given up. It’s so weird cos he’s barely played. Did he sign for us by accident or something?

NorthernWisdom

Not even useless. It all looks mental. He can do stuff. He just doesn’t try. Looks like he’s completely given up. It’s so weird cos he’s barely played. Did he sign for us by accident or something?
He genuinely looked up for it and sharp against Leicester and Middlesbrough. Then we started him against Swansea and it's been quite poor since(!)

AOM

I think I’d have taken simms off instead of Haji today.
In all truth I probably would’ve brought Godden on for Allen and making runs in from deep between the two big lads.

Seen both Simms and Wright getting stick but I don't think Simms was even bad today. Definitely improved when Godden was on the pitch as well.

Wright looked lost though. Wasn't even watching the ball at times when it came to him in the air and was turning his back to face the defender instead

CCFCSteve

It does look a lot but I’ve said before, other clubs were sniffing. Rangers had a 7m bid turned down and various other clubs trying to get him. He’s got something, we’re just not seeing enough of it yet. Very early days though

junglej13

Another bizarre performance. Genuinely didn't seem to want the ball today. I honestly don't think he sprinted once in the game. Was a complete passenger. Norwich were there for the taking and we only had a chance once he went off.

harvey098

He’s the first signing I’ve ever been negative about based on the classic YouTube highlight reel. Hope I’m eventually proved wrong but so far he’s played exactly how I thought he would based on those videos.

Attachments

• 5F6B4E98-E772-41AC-9EC7-A66EDC0D8788.png
    5F6B4E98-E772-41AC-9EC7-A66EDC0D8788.png
    976.9 KB · Views: 64

SBT

Godden has to play purely for his pressing.
I’m not worried about Wright not pressing today - that would have just played into Norwich’s (dull as fuck) gameplan. I’m a lot more worried about his bizarre unwillingness to make runs off the ball or to impose himself on defenders. The game seems to be passing him by.

SBT

Wright and Simms can't play together for sure, too similar as players.
If Wright plays like the player he was sold to us as then it can work. Simms made a fantastic run off the ball in the first half to make room for Wright - came to nothing, but in theory their pace and physical presence should give teams a lot of problems.

In theory.

lordsummerisle

If Wright plays like the player he was sold to us as then it can work. Simms made a fantastic run off the ball in the first half to make room for Wright - came to nothing, but in theory their pace and physical presence should give teams a lot of problems.

In theory.

More that they're too alike in both being a bit crap really.

ajl

Someone needs to bring up quotes about Gyokeres, he wasn't thought of as much good on his loan spell

Forget the amount, it's done it's paid for, he has talent, and I think our coaches can bring it out, give them time

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

BlueSkiesForever

Service, service, service. Godden, Simms, Wright, it doesn’t matter if we don’t supply quality balls to our strikers. Judge them all when they’ve had a few chances one on one or have an easy tap-in to score.

Wright scored a decent header last week that I doubt Godden would have been able to reach, everyone seems to have forgotten he scored a goal that got us 3 points only 4 days ago. I’m really not arsed what striker we play as long as we give them good service.

hinckley cov

Sadly quite a few have, both on this and other threads.

We need to give him our support and build his confidence if he is to perform at the level I believe he is capable of.
Don’t think most people have written him off, but I think he needs to do more closing down , as he does look lazy at times, it’s stupid to write him off , our management team will sort him out.

BlueSkiesForever

Godden has to play purely for his pressing.
I get that he presses a lot but should we really be starting a striker just because they’re good at pressing? Over the last 3-4 games I don’t think we’ve seen a clear overall “winner” in terms of this Wright/Godden/Simms debate. None of them have had quality chances created for them and none of them should be dismissed just yet, I think the whole team still needs time to work out how to play together and to have more confidence taking on defenders.

djr8369

Don’t think most people have written him off, but I think he needs to do more closing down , as he does look lazy at times, it’s stupid to write him off , our management team will sort him out.
That seemed to have been, at least partly, intentional today. As mentioned on the match thread MR said in his interview he and Simms did well to stop Norwich playing it out from the back how they like to. To me that sounds like they were told to block the passing channels, rather than close down. To fans that looks like ambling around in no man’s land.

Norwich were also setting traps. The strikers couldn’t press as Norwich had a man drop deep so could just move it around Simms or Wright once they went to a man. We need a midfielder to join the press. At some points this happened but that gave Norwich an out and they used these occasions to progress the ball to specs left in the middle.

That said, when Godden came on he pressed, and sometimes successfully. Also, I’m backing Wright and think some are too harsh on him, but think he does need to up his intensity and the league has been a big change which he needs to adapt to.

Greggs

How much can we sell him for? I'd take 2 million tomorrow

Cov kid 55

He’s the first signing I’ve ever been negative about based on the classic YouTube highlight reel. Hope I’m eventually proved wrong but so far he’s played exactly how I thought he would based on those videos.
I have to say, when I saw the video clips, I didn’t see anything that excited me. Just have to hope that there is a player there and that Robins, Viveash and his team mates help him to improve/perform.

SIR ERNIE

The thing you always got with Gyokeres from day one was effort. The self belief, skill and aggression developed over time but always there was effort and passion. With that came the bullying of defenders and berating of referees.
Players like that will always win the respect of the fans.
Wright needs to understand that the fans expect the same effort, commitment and passion from him.

Last edited:

SBAndy

The thing you always got with Gyokeres from day one was effort. The self belief, skill and aggression developed over time but always there was effort and passion. With that came the bullying of defenders and berating of referees.
Players like that will always win the respect of the fans.
Wright needs to understand that the fans expect the same effort, commitment and passion from him.

It’s actually frightening how much he reminds me of Bakayoko. Got all the physical attributes, alright technically but doesn’t seem to have the confidence and aggression to make the most of it. Some of the decision making is bizarre.

covboy9

Haji has to do something to adhere himself to the fans

simms and wright have huge shoes to fill, vik was a stroppy fucker and not the best finisher but his engine and strength were incredible

I can’t see any passion in wright or simms

StrettoBoy

That seemed to have been, at least partly, intentional today. As mentioned on the match thread MR said in his interview he and Simms did well to stop Norwich playing it out from the back how they like to. To me that sounds like they were told to block the passing channels, rather than close down. To fans that looks like ambling around in no man’s land.

Norwich were also setting traps. The strikers couldn’t press as Norwich had a man drop deep so could just move it around Simms or Wright once they went to a man. We need a midfielder to join the press. At some points this happened but that gave Norwich an out and they used these occasions to progress the ball to specs left in the middle.

That said, when Godden came on he pressed, and sometimes successfully. Also, I’m backing Wright and think some are too harsh on him, but think he does need to up his intensity and the league has been a big change which he needs to adapt to.

You talk a lot of sense 👍

fernandopartridge

It is still very early days for him. It'd be interesting if they could measure the physical intensity of each league. You'd imagine the Championship would be ahead of the Turkish league.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread