Happy St George’s Day! (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

giphy.gif

Patriotic thread. Don’t want to hear how he was a Turkish Muslim prophet and dragons didn’t exist. Let’s be proud to be English here.

Let’s face it, best country in the world. Owned most of it at one point or another, mother of all parliaments, the real land of the free and home of the brave.

What makes you proud to be English today?

For me:
giphy.gif

Best breakfast. Hands down.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Best mythology.

giphy.gif

Best sense of humour.

giphy.gif

Best Head of State.

bringbackrattles

My late mothers birthday today. She would have been 94. She loved the Queen and was a proud English lady. We don't seem to celebrate our patron saint like most other countries celebrate theirs.

Sbarcher

giphy.gif

Patriotic thread. Don’t want to hear how he was a Turkish Muslim prophet and dragons didn’t exist. Let’s be proud to be English here.

Let’s face it, best country in the world. Owned most of it at one point or another, mother of all parliaments, the real land of the free and home of the brave.

What makes you proud to be English today?

For me:
giphy.gif

Best breakfast. Hands down.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Best mythology.

giphy.gif

Best sense of humour.

giphy.gif

Best Head of State.
On that breakfast, it looks like slices of FRENCH stick!

shmmeee

My late mothers birthday today. She would have been 94. She loved the Queen and was a proud English lady. We don't seem to celebrate our patron saint like most other countries celebrate theirs.

Happy birthday to her BBR!

You’ll hear people say it’s because of racists or whatever but if everyone leaves celebration to just the racists of course that’s what it is.

Should be a bank holiday and a day of celebrating Englishness unashamedly IMO. There’s plenty to be proud of and as you say other countries manage to celebrate their country.

skybluetony176

Our armed forces! #BeTheBest

My mum found out a very young pic of me from about 15 years ago! Was about 19/20 at the time. It was taken about 2 weeks before I went to Iraq for the 1st time.
Happy St.Georges day all

f868c4c2d4f4743ca52fc4cf790b2caa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Did you go as a waiter;)

Seriously though. Thanks for serving your country.

shmmeee

I get a card every year from my old Nan. I think if we celebrated it properly then it would take something away from the racists. We can all point to the big St Georges party we had and say nobody is ashamed of being English were just ashamed that people use their nationality to disguise their horrible prejudices.

Exactly this.

skybluetony176

On that breakfast, it looks like slices of FRENCH stick!
Bread is a North African invention brought to us by the Roman Empire and if it was sliced bread it’s an American invention so whatever bread it is it’s irrelevant. It’s all foreign muck :)

pastythegreat

Did you go as a waiter;)

Seriously though. Thanks for serving your country.
A waiter
This was my Number 1 dress (ceremonial dress) for when we were in Cyprus. It was traditionally a big, heavy red woollen jacket (or scarletts for people in the know). Much the same as what the guards wear outside the palace. But it was far too hot for that so we all had new jackets made up. Made to measure (unlike the scarlett jacket I had which had seen at least 20 other owners before I got it).
I wouldnt even be able to do the buttons on it up today

rob9872

Our armed forces! #BeTheBest

My mum found out a very young pic of me from about 15 years ago! Was about 19/20 at the time. It was taken about 2 weeks before I went to Iraq for the 1st time.
Happy St.Georges day all

f868c4c2d4f4743ca52fc4cf790b2caa.jpg

Thank you.

shmmeee

One of the best video games countries as well. And some of the best computing.

Deep Mind AI are world leaders.

And of course the greats of Turing and Babbage.

Always punched above our weight in science and technology generally.

NorthernWisdom

Oh, what's great about England?

Countryside and the fact it changes so drastically within just a short space.

The weather. Seriously, we don't have the epic disasters of some places! We also get varied seasons to bring change.

Tudor buildings. Another fascinating (;)) fact, but the beams shouldn't be black. Despite that, there's something great about a chocolate box village scene.

The fact I can call Boris Johnson a twat and not be locked up for it!

A sense of fair play, and politeness.

An adventurous, pioneering inquisitiveness and desire to innovate.

shmmeee

You'll hate me if I tell you the Arthurian myth is actually Welsh, with a bit of French thrown in too ;)

(As an aside, Merlin became Merlin because originally he was Myrddin in Welsh, but when it went over to France it ended up translated as shit the wizard, which wasn't the look they were going for!)

See this pedantry is exactly what I didn’t want ;)

I can keep Robin Hood though right?

pastythegreat

Oh, what's great about England?

Countryside and the fact it changes so drastically within just a short space.

The weather. Seriously, we don't have the epic disasters of some places! We also get varied seasons to bring change.

Tudor buildings. Another fascinating (;)) fact, but the beams shouldn't be black. Despite that, there's something great about a chocolate box village scene.

The fact I can call Boris Johnson a twat and not be locked up for it!

A sense of fair play, and politeness.

An adventurous, pioneering inquisitiveness and desire to innovate.
Our countryside is amazing. I am very proud to be English, but I do have to admit, most of the time I try and get to Snowdonia for countryside adventures. I'm English 1st, but British deep down.

NorthernWisdom

Our countryside is amazing. I am very proud to be English, but I do have to admit, most of the time I try and get to Snowdonia for countryside adventures. I'm English 1st, but British deep down.

Snowdonia's great!

You might get on well with the Yorkshire Moors if you wanted variety? The stuff around here: Roseberry Topping

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

One of the best video games countries as well. And some of the best computing.

Deep Mind AI are world leaders.

And of course the greats of Turing and Babbage.

Always punched above our weight in science and technology generally.

Don't forget Lovelace you mysognist!

Her work helped lead to Deep Throat....THOUGHT.

Literal slip of the tongue

pastythegreat

Snowdonia's great!

You might get on well with the Yorkshire Moors if you wanted variety? The stuff around here: Roseberry Topping
Dont get me wrong, I have spent a lot of time in England hiking too. I did phase 1 training in Harrogate and Phase 2 in Catterick so have spent plenty of time in the Yorkshire Moors.
Will look at that though, we became trust members about 3 weeks before the lockdown happened and I've been looking at places to head once were able to get back out again. My 11yo is itching to get the sleeping bags out and get out somewhere for a wild camp. Weve already had 2 trips this year cancelled! We were meant to camp up Snowdon in Feb but had to cancel because of storm Dennis, and we were meeting my cousins fella in the peak district that we cancelled because of covid. We had to camp in the back garden last weekend

clint van damme

Would have been a bank holiday if Corbyn had got in!
Still the birth date of two of the greatest ever English men

1. Clint van Damme
2. William Shakespeare

Users who are viewing this thread