Harry Roberts Cop Killer (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Watched a programme on Harry Roberts who shot dead 2 coppers in 1966. Another bloke shot dead 1 policeman. I remember as a kid standing on the Spion Kop with City fans singing " Harry Roberts he kills coppers." He got released after being inside for 50 odd years. The death penalty had just been abolished so they got prison sentences instead. It was a cold blooded killing really and they wanted the death penalty bringing back for these shootings.
I think some crimes are etched in the memory, and this one especially. My dad at the time said they should have hanged, and I imagine many would share that opinion today ?

Grendel

This is of course why Brian Roberts was called Harry!

Terry Gibson's perm

The one that is etched in my mind is the murder of Jamie Bulger, we had gone to America for my 18th birthday and it was all over the news there. A really sad event committed by two horrible little creatures.

ovduk78

Watched a programme on Harry Roberts who shot dead 2 coppers in 1966. Another bloke shot dead 1 policeman. I remember as a kid standing on the Spion Kop with City fans singing " Harry Roberts he kills coppers." He got released after being inside for 50 odd years. The death penalty had just been abolished so they got prison sentences instead. It was a cold blooded killing really and they wanted the death penalty bringing back for these shootings.
I think some crimes are etched in the memory, and this one especially. My dad at the time said they should have hanged, and I imagine many would share that opinion today ?
I have been to watch Newcastle loads of time with my mate and they always sing that, it was especially intimidating at Notts Forest during the miners strike and at WBA when both times we were kept in by a corden of police and the Geordies were in their faces singing it

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
The one I was quoting was at the sports shop by where Riddys Army&Navy store was. A bloke broke in to steal a rifle/gun but was stopped by a copper, who he shot dead ? It was a big story.
I remember that BBR. I thought it was Davies Sports shop? They'd broken in and nicked a shotgun and cartridges but triggered off the alarm. Cops went there and one was shot with the shotgun. Not sure if I've got all the details right. I'll check archives later.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember Harry Roberts well. Not personally, though! I mean the story. I was at Ullathorne when this happened. It was all the rage with all the lads talking about him because he hid in Epping Forest for about 3 weeks before being caught.
Also, he was the reason why the City player, Brian Roberts, was always nicknamed "Harry".

bringbackrattles

I remember that BBR. I thought it was Davies Sports shop? They'd broken in and nicked a shotgun and cartridges but triggered off the alarm. Cops went there and one was shot with the shotgun. Not sure if I've got all the details right. I'll check archives later.
Yes it was Davies sports shop. Wasn't that near Riddys?

bringbackrattles

I remember Harry Roberts well. Not personally, though! I mean the story. I was at Ullathorne when this happened. It was all the rage with all the lads talking about him because he hid in Epping Forest for about 3 weeks before being caught.
Also, he was the reason why the City player, Brian Roberts, was always nicknamed "Harry".
The programme I watched was interesting. He was an ex soldier so used those skills when on the run. A young lad on a walk in a wood/forest stumbled upon him in a tent. He was going to shoot him but discovered he was a bit simple, so got him to get him food etc, and even took him on a robbery while on the run ! Just to think I used to sing along with other fans about Roberts without knowing much about him !

Users who are viewing this thread