Heating Schedule (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Random mumsnet question.

Do people find it cheaper to have it on low all day and then crank it when they need it or off completely but then let it take much longer to get to a normal temperature when needed?

To get from 6 or 7 up to 18 takes a fair while.

Robinshio

I leave on around 15 - if you let it get too cold, it gets into the bricks of the house - you then have mould and damp issues

Nick

Administrator
I leave on around 15 - if you let it get too cold, it gets into the bricks of the house - you then have mould and damp issues

Yeah that's the issue, it gets really cold so then to get it back up to a half normal temperature it takes hours.

Just don't fancy paying thousands to keep it at a certain heat.

Sick Boy

We keep ours on a minimum of 18 and turn it up when needed, only had it on for 7 days this winter though.

chiefdave

I find it fucking expensive whichever way I do it :ROFLMAO:

Work from home so need the house heated all day and its costing a fortune at the moment. Got smart thermostats so can set each room on a schedule to try and keep it down as much as possible. Boiler is also fucked so that's being replaced next Tuesday and according to the installer a newer boiler will use less gas so should mean lower bills but obviously you've got to spend on the boiler in the first place.

If you've not got a smart meter you could do it the old school way, take readings each morning and work out which method uses less gas.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah I've got smart thermostat so can set it all and automate etc.

Working from home I'd just wrap up warm to be fair and try not to have it on.

Just at the minute I don't fancy everything freezing up.

fernandopartridge

Currently got mine on timer to come on 3 times a day, 18c on the thermostat. Don't have Hive or any of that. Smart meter still isn't working despite reporting it to British Gash.

shmmeee

Yeah I've got smart thermostat so can set it all and automate etc.

Working from home I'd just wrap up warm to be fair and try not to have it on.

Just at the minute I don't fancy everything freezing up.

That’s me. Work under a blanket until the missus comes home and puts the heating on 😂

I’ve got a Nest so just let that figure it out I’m afraid.

SAJ

Random mumsnet question.

Do people find it cheaper to have it on low all day and then crank it when they need it or off completely but then let it take much longer to get to a normal temperature when needed?

To get from 6 or 7 up to 18 takes a fair while.
Martin Lewis addressed this question last week and said don’t keep it on just use it when you need it as long term it costs less.

CCFCSteve

Taken mine down a notch or two this year. Kept heating off until Nov. Since then 16 for most of the time unless I’m out, 17 between 6-9pm and then off again overnight (well 12 which it never drops to) back on at 6am

Popped it on 18 a couple of times but not much. That was my usual house temp in previous years but just stuck a jumper on this year

Ps also turned radiator off in spare room.

Kneeza

We're both retired so at home most of the time. We have it on low constantly at the mo, having changed from 'off and on' a couple of weeks ago, and higher in the evening (about 14 and 19). Currently monitoring useage, but I'd say it's costing about a couple of quid a day extra, but it's comfortable now whereas it just felt cold and miserable most of the time before.
I'm sticking with this current regime now though as I hate being cold.
Thinking about putting in a 5kw diesel heater in the garage (running red diesel or kerosene) pumping heat into the hallway and recirculating from there so it's not having to heat very cold air, which should raise the ambient in most of the downstairs and landing (we don't heat any bedrooms apart from a trickle in the only one that's used) and mean I can back off the gas boiler a bit.

skyblue1991

Constantly on 20 degrees between 06:00-22:30. Boiler only comes on when the thermostat drops to 19.5 degrees

Off overnight, not sure what temperate it is at at 06:00, especially at the moment

House is EPC A mind which of course helps!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Marty

We've just put ours on, I don't really feel the cold too much so we warm up to about 16 degrees, then I just give her a hot water bottle.

Mcbean

Got the house split into two - main part is on radiators which are off including bedrooms - other part is kitchen diner telly room with underfloor and I keep this going twice a day on 20 degrees and it’s toastie - shoes off warm - oil fired - above the room is bedrooms which pick up some heat - yep the rest of the house is cold but it’s fine under the covers - wife is a hot water bottle 😀

Sky Blue Pete

Not cheap! But if we leave it on 18c it rarely turns on most of the time. As others I work from home and weather several layers and turn it up a bit in the evenings.
Ours is on 15’ during the day and 19’ when most of us are in. It’s too cold to work at 15’

pipkin73

Depends on the size of your house. Mine was a big 3 storey house so if you let it go cold the boiler worked overtime to heat it up again. Started to leave it on, on a lowish heat and turned it up when I got home. My bills cut a half. Maybe for a smaller house this changes.

chiefdave

I live in a 2 bed mid terrace and it's fucking freezing. No cavity walls so the only option is external insulation which costs a fortune

Have to crank the heating right up to 20 and I'm still in layers and under a duvet on the sofa

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Got mine set at 18 for when I'm in the house and 15 overnight and when I'm out. Heat all the rooms.

No idea if it works out less or more costly as although it does click in more regularly it turns off quite quickly too. Beforehand where I had it off completely it seemed to be on all evening trying to get the house up to temp.

One thing I have noticed is there seems to be less creaking/cracking noises as the house is a more constant temp.

chiefdave

how long do you houses take to warm up? I have the heating downstairs set to come on at 5pm and it's only about now, which is 8:45 that the room is warm

don't really want to start putting the heating on at 1:30pm the bill will be ridiculous

shmmeee

how long do you houses take to warm up? I have the heating downstairs set to come on at 5pm and it's only about now, which is 8:45 that the room is warm

don't really want to start putting the heating on at 1:30pm the bill will be ridiculous

According to Nest, a couple of hours. According to my Utilita app it’s about normal, but here are some things you can do to improve it:

7B8A3C2C-D5AC-4427-B646-F51D56738238.jpeg

Kneeza

I live in a 2 bed mid terrace and it's fucking freezing. No cavity walls so the only option is external insulation which costs a fortune

Have to crank the heating right up to 20 and I'm still in layers and under a duvet on the sofa
I feel your pain. Used to have a two-bed double-bay mid terrace on Dickens Rd. Mid thirties build, no insulation to speak of. The only way it could have been worse would have been to swap with Bert next door who had the end house!
Glad to be in a mid-sixties with insulated cavity walls now.

wingy

I feel your pain. Used to have a two-bed double-bay mid terrace on Dickens Rd. Mid thirties build, no insulation to speak of. The only way it could have been worse would have been to swap with Bert next door who had the end house!
Glad to be in a mid-sixties with insulated cavity walls now.
It's bonkers that solid wall construction was carried on into the 50's-60's.
We lived in a 1929 constructed local authority house using cavity wall method.
Got tbh honest though didn't exactly feel toasty , single glazed and just a fire,later with about three bedroom rads off the back burner.

bulko

I tried it on low all day set at 18 degs with the room with the thermostat door shut cost about £1 extra than a schedule.

Kneeza

It's bonkers that solid wall construction was carried on into the 50's-60's.
We lived in a 1929 constructed local authority house using cavity wall method.
Got tbh honest though didn't exactly feel toasty , single glazed and just a fire,later with about three bedroom rads off the back burner.
Yes, we took a long time to catch up. Having said that, I did have a 1919 bungalow for a few years, and that had cavity walls! It was a one-off build that I assume was built by someone with a bit of vision.

Users who are viewing this thread