Herbert Art Gallery & Museum/Cultural Learnings (1 Viewer)

Terry_dactyl

Popped along last weekend, for the first time in over 35 years. It’s good…even with a hangover.
Slowly taking Mrs D to Cov cultural hotspots. Last time the cathedrals; next up the Motor Museum.
Been to the Fargo Village a few times - it never seems to be open!
Any furthers suggestions and decent places to eat (breakfasts and dinners) are welcome!

Bugsy

Popped along last weekend, for the first time in over 35 years. It’s good…even with a hangover.
Slowly taking Mrs D to Cov cultural hotspots. Last time the cathedrals; next up the Motor Museum.
Been to the Fargo Village a few times - it never seems to be open!
Any furthers suggestions and decent places to eat (breakfasts and dinners) are welcome!

I kind of like the Jacobean or the Quicken tree on a nice sunny day for food and drinks. worth a try :)

Terry_dactyl

I kind of like the Jacobean or the Quicken tree on a nice sunny day for food and drinks. worth a try :)
Right you are. Often stay in Earlsdon/Spon End which is where I’m from and end up in a curry house…would be nice to try some new places!

Otis

Right you are. Often stay in Earlsdon/Spon End which is where I’m from and end up in a curry house…would be nice to try some new places!
You have to time Fargo to catch it at its best. Sometimes it's very busy, like when there is the jazz club. My daughter goes once a month.

Try and catch an actual event there rather than just turn up, because like you say, it can be completely dead at times.

Terry_dactyl

You have to time Fargo to catch it at its best. Sometimes it's very busy, like when there is the jazz club. My daughter goes once a month.

Try and catch an actual event there rather than just turn up, because like you say, it can be completely dead at times.
Yeah, that’s my experiences…first time we really liked it. It felt busy, with loads of things going on…then not so much! We’d assumed it was just ‘dying a death’ but will try and time things better. Good to hear as it was good that first time.

Terry_dactyl

Try this too. Opposite the council house.

Thanks!
We’ve tended to link in looking around with going back for city games. However, think we’re planning a couple of visits quite soon.

As an aside, it’s interesting for me to see how the city has changed, a lot more buildings going up. What’sbeing built opposite the town hall…the building that used to have a bridge across to it?

Otis

Thanks!
We’ve tended to link in looking around with going back for city games. However, think we’re planning a couple of visits quite soon.

As an aside, it’s interesting for me to see how the city has changed, a lot more buildings going up. What’sbeing built opposite the town hall…the building that used to have a bridge across to it?
That's what I have just linked to. It's the Festival Gardens.

The land opposite the council house.

LastGarrison

Thanks!

The Assembly Gardens is only temporary and the land is owned by Coventry University who were supposed to be building a Student Centre but think it has been shelved for a couple of years.

I’m terms of restaurants I would highly recommend the Green Dragon on Spon Street which is locally owned and it’s food and drink are all sourced locally as well. The Sunday dinners are ridiculously big.

Selminas, which again in on Spon Street, is an independent Mexican restaurant and serves some great food and Hello Vietnam does great Vietnamese food and sometimes has 2 for 1 on cocktails.

In terms of things to do there are city walks that, I think, are free and I’ll see if I can dig out the link and you can also visit the Urban Airport which is just over from the train station. Also, the Music Museum on Walsgrave Road and maybe something to eat in the 2-tone cafe.

Obviously if she hasn’t been then a walk around the Memorial in the sunshine is a must and also out to Coombe Abbey if you have time.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What’sbeing built opposite the town hall…the building that used to have a bridge across to it?

Some artist's impressions.

49834518647_e2c2d9a8d8_b.jpg

49834213566_109879aae6_b.jpg

49833675693_59be94bccf_b.jpg

49833675713_5e7f38ea36_b.jpg

49833675723_d03bf0e3c4_b.jpg

Terry_dactyl

The Assembly Gardens is only temporary and the land is owned by Coventry University who were supposed to be building a Student Centre but think it has been shelved for a couple of years.

I’m terms of restaurants I would highly recommend the Green Dragon on Spon Street which is locally owned and it’s food and drink are all sourced locally as well. The Sunday dinners are ridiculously big.

Selminas, which again in on Spon Street, is an independent Mexican restaurant and serves some great food and Hello Vietnam does great Vietnamese food and sometimes has 2 for 1 on cocktails.

In terms of things to do there are city walks that, I think, are free and I’ll see if I can dig out the link and you can also visit the Urban Airport which is just over from the train station. Also, the Music Museum on Walsgrave Road and maybe something to eat in the 2-tone cafe.

Obviously if she hasn’t been then a walk around the Memorial in the sunshine is a must and also out to Coombe Abbey if you have time.
Thanks!
I’ve promised her a walk around the memorial park…scene of much of my youth one way or another. We used to hop on the pitch and putt quite regularly and would see Brian Borrows walking his dog.

She likes Spon street although only been to Turmeric Gold down there.

I’ve sent the link that @Otis sent me and she’s keen to come back…possibly next week! Will definitely check out some of the other food options.

She announced last week, with a tone of surprise, “it’s actually a good city isn’t it”. I think once you see past the concrete ringroad, things improve for the casual visitor.

Ah right, so I think we’ve tried to get in the temporary garden place but it was closed.

LastGarrison

Thanks!
I’ve promised her a walk around the memorial park…scene of much of my youth one way or another. We used to hop on the pitch and putt quite regularly and would see Brian Borrows walking his dog.

She likes Spon street although only been to Turmeric Gold down there.

I’ve sent the link that @Otis sent me and she’s keen to come back…possibly next week! Will definitely check out some of the other food options.

She announced last week, with a tone of surprise, “it’s actually a good city isn’t it”. I think once you see past the concrete ringroad, things improve for the casual visitor.

Ah right, so I think we’ve tried to get in the temporary garden place but it was closed.
The other one I forgot about is the showroom upstairs in, randomly, the Litten Tree which has exhibitions happening as well.

Also, Sage for breakie or for a proper Irish breakie then O’Toole’s both of which are in Earlsdon.

Users who are viewing this thread