Hilary benn (2 Viewers)

lifeskyblue

He!!! He is son of tony Benn. He is shadow foreign secretary. He spoke for air strikes against his leader.
Unfortunately it looks as if the vote is for air strikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Always made time for his dad whenever I knew he was involved in QT...or news bulletins. Didn't matter if I agreed or not...just the sheer belief & passion that came over in his comments. If he wasn't well versed on a topic he didn't shy away from it but had a way of saying "I'm not sure" without actually saying it!

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Liquid Gold

The framing of a bombing campaign that will kill innocent people and further stoke up ethnic tensions as a fight against fascism is disgusting. The only way to properly fight ISIL is to stop propping up the despotic sunni regimes in Saudi and the gulf states that fund them and to stop the Turks from denying Kurdish statehood.

The links between parliament and arms companies and the lobbying power of BAE and Lockheed is frightening, don't think for one minute this is a war against extremism. It's particularly galling at a time when we're told that we cant afford to look after our sick and disabled and we are now going to spend over £500,000 on each flight. Two tornados have already set of from cyprus, ask yourself where that £1m is going, this is a continuation of the transfer of wealth from the public to the private.

Philosorapter

Hilary Benn: speaker at rising 15. Gordon Brown was there as well. I guess that's enough credence lost for an organisation not to put on another one.

Last edited:

Ian1779

The framing of a bombing campaign that will kill innocent people and further stoke up ethnic tensions as a fight against fascism is disgusting. The only way to properly fight ISIL is to stop propping up the despotic sunni regimes in Saudi and the gulf states that fund them and to stop the Turks from denying Kurdish statehood.

The links between parliament and arms companies and the lobbying power of BAE and Lockheed is frightening, don't think for one minute this is a war against extremism. It's particularly galling at a time when we're told that we cant afford to look after our sick and disabled and we are now going to spend over £500,000 on each flight. Two tornados have already set of from cyprus, ask yourself where that £1m is going, this is a continuation of the transfer of wealth from the public to the private.

Every bomb that kills an innocent civilian is a campaign poster for ISIL

Brighton Sky Blue

If Hillary Benn is so concerned by fascism why does he not call for intervention to help the Nigerian government fight Boko Haram? Why does he not call for serious sanctions to be imposed upon ISIS' Salafi friends in Saudi Arabia? Why doesn't he call for intervention against Al Nusra, the Syrian affiliate of Al Qaeda?

The answer is that none have killed a Westerner yet. I seem to be in a minority of people who find that the substance of his speech was full of holes.

rob9872

Loving the irony of lefty anti-war protesters sending death threats. Really gets the point across....

SkyblueBazza

Loving the irony of lefty anti-war protesters sending death threats. Really gets the point across....
...although you are assuming they are 'lefty anti-war protestors'. Until we find out exactly who they are perhaps we should hold fire (see what I did there? )
...although you are assuming they are 'lefty anti-war protestors'. Until we find out exactly who they are perhaps we should hold fire (see what I did there?

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Joy Division

All those MP's who voted to create another war now playing the victim. It's how polititians play the game, make one decision then shift the focus on how poorly they are being treated.

Fact of the matter its, British people love a war, don't care where or who it is. We just can't help ourselves.

rob9872

Based on what? I certainly don't love a war, for one thing it costs a fortune and we have to fund it, but we did not bring this on ourselves or ask for terrorists to train in Syria then return here and try to kill us. This is necessary rather than desired and every day waited is a day they continue training, building funds, plotting and killing. Whatever force is deemed necessary is absolutely appropriate.

lifeskyblue

Based on what? I certainly don't love a war, for one thing it costs a fortune and we have to fund it, but we did not bring this on ourselves or ask for terrorists to train in Syria then return here and try to kill us. This is necessary rather than desired and every day waited is a day they continue training, building funds, plotting and killing. Whatever force is deemed necessary is absolutely appropriate.

So if all that is true why don't we attack one of the major sources of their funding and support...Saudi Arabia? Why because it would interfere with our arms deal relationships.
Why not attack or withdraw support for a country that opposes one of the groups fighting Isis...turkey? Why because they are our nato 'allies'
If Isis is to be defeated then we must attack not just those areas in Iran/Syria that they hold but all sources of revenue and support. Will we? No of course we won't. Therefore more and more innocent lives will be lost. More money on a fruitless bombing of already destroyed cities etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefdave

but we did not bring this on ourselves

Yes we did. We went blundering into the Middle East with no proper plan. Removed, or supported the removal, of secular leaders creating a power vacumn for the likes of ISIS to take control.

Not to mention we are doing nothing about Saudi passing arms we sell to them onto ISIS or Turkey funding ISIS through oil purchases.

martcov

It would be great if our own country would lead the field in secularism and set an example. Our head of state is head of a branch of Christianity, Blair made a thing about becoming a Catholic and supporting faith schools. We complain about religion causing conflict, but having a head of state who is "defender of the faith" lumps us in the same boat as Iran. We should at least end the "crusaders" argument. Most of us are not in favour of Muslim bashing because of them having the wrong faith. ( I hope ).

bringbackrattles

The block of flats where I live in, we have been woken up every day this week at 5.am by loud talking/music and found out it is a call to prayer ! Some tenant must have been converted to Islam or a new one has moved in ? I've reported it and await a response.I've never heard anything like it and it is impossible to get back to sleep as it's loud and strange.My son who's staying with me can't believe it, and it gets your nerves on edge as I'm not used to it.

martcov

The block of flats where I live in, we have been woken up every day this week at 5.am by loud talking/music and found out it is a call to prayer ! Some tenant must have been converted to Islam or a new one has moved in ? I've reported it and await a response.I've never heard anything like it and it is impossible to get back to sleep as it's loud and strange.My son who's staying with me can't believe it, and it gets your nerves on edge as I'm not used to it.

What goes on in the minds of these people? lucky that Mohamed made a deal with Allah. Allah wanted people to pray 50 times a day, but good old Mohamed reduced it to only 5.

bringbackrattles

What goes on in the minds of these people? lucky that Mohamed made a deal with Allah. Allah wanted people to pray 50 times a day, but good old Mohamed reduced it to only 5.
If it's the bloke in the flat above me I preferred him playing his rap music than this stuff !

jimmyhillsfanclub

Who do he/she think they are calling to prayer? Maybe he/she has a stone-deaf partner?

Bang on his/her door & explain that the 1st of the 5 prayers (the Fajr) only needs to be pre-dawn......so keeping in mind its dark until 7.45am....offer to reset his/her alarm clock for them.;)

bringbackrattles

Who do he/she think they are calling to prayer? Maybe he/she has a stone-deaf partner?

Bang on his/her door & explain that the 1st of the 5 prayers (the Fajr) only needs to be pre-dawn......so keeping in mind its dark until 7.45am....offer to reset his/her alarm clock for them.;)
The way I'm feeling at the moment feel like resetting his face ! Got a feeling it's the Nigerian bloke above me,he got stabbed a few months back and has loads of people in his flat,and it's kicked off a few times this year.Rumour has it he's embraced Islam or something and he went out in long flowing robes yesterday.Still had nothing back from the landlords who are Whitefriars,maybe scared to get involved ?

Brighton Sky Blue

It would be great if our own country would lead the field in secularism and set an example. Our head of state is head of a branch of Christianity, Blair made a thing about becoming a Catholic and supporting faith schools. We complain about religion causing conflict, but having a head of state who is "defender of the faith" lumps us in the same boat as Iran. We should at least end the "crusaders" argument. Most of us are not in favour of Muslim bashing because of them having the wrong faith. ( I hope ).

We can start by taking bishops out of the House of Lords.

oakey

We can start by taking bishops out of the House of Lords.
If you did that it would be logical to make it part of a full reform taking out all unelected peers ... Hereditary, ex business leaders, party funders, ex MPs.
Why single out bishops, who actually often make very valuable contributions to debates? Religion has many facets, good, bad and ugly. Secularisation is not the answer.

Macca

The way I'm feeling at the moment feel like resetting his face ! Got a feeling it's the Nigerian bloke above me,he got stabbed a few months back and has loads of people in his flat,and it's kicked off a few times this year.Rumour has it he's embraced Islam or something and he went out in long flowing robes yesterday.Still had nothing back from the landlords who are Whitefriars,maybe scared to get involved ?

2015 in a supposedly modern, civilised country. Get used to it I'm afraid

Terry Gibson's perm

If you did that it would be logical to make it part of a full reform taking out all unelected peers ... Hereditary, ex business leaders, party funders, ex MPs.
Why single out bishops, who actually often make very valuable contributions to debates? Religion has many facets, good, bad and ugly. Secularisation is not the answer.

Be nobody left in there if we do that so it should save us a fortune

martcov

Relgious people can and do make valuable contributions to debates, but they should not have power solely because they are religious. Secularism In the form of Separation of State from Religion is necessary in a multi religion and non believer population. Freedom of, and freedom from religion is essential - and that also goes for all types of dogma e.g. communism and facism ( which are synthetic substitutes for radical regligions ).

lewys33

I don't think it was that great a speech to be honest. It certainly didn't want to make me pick up my torch and pitchfork.

The whole thing doesn't sit right with me. It's definitely a damned if you do, damned if you don't affair. I don't think we should sit back and do nothing, but this is just giving them further propaganda. When have we ever made things better by getting involved?

I know the recent air strikes in Iraq have not killed any civilians but you can't use that as evidence to start bombing next door! I can't help but think the money should have been spent on intelligence and special forces etc. - ensure attacks here are not carried out.

Having said that, if they had said "we are only going to put our efforts in to taking out the oil network" I think a lot more people would have been on board.

Terry Gibson's perm

Hit the oil network and why would they be doing that to force the price of crude oil up? Forcing the petrol prices up and raise more Vat a regular move by government ministers who don't pay for petrol.

Users who are viewing this thread